Springer Spaniel- Need help

bowfisher89

6 pointer
Sep 25, 2008
Henderson,Ky
I am lookin at gettin a dog that I can bird hunt with and also be a retriever for waterfowl. I was told that a Springer can do this, is this true? I also want to know if a Springer will point? Is there any other dogs that are good dual purpose dogs?

kurzhaar

6 pointer
Nov 15, 2006
Somerset, KY
A spinger is a flushing dog, not a pointing breed.

There are a lot of versatile GSPs and Kurzhaars (German tested GSP) around that will do very well bird hunting and duck hunting if you want a pointing breed. Some others are GWP/Drahthaar and Griffons.

Most labs and chessies can make very nice bird hunting dogs if a flushing breed is OK with you.

wildcovey

6 pointer
Dec 9, 2008
webster ky
springers are birddogs but in my opinion dogs of that breed dont make good waterfowl dogs not that you cant train them because you can train a gundog to do what ever you need it to do but i also dont believe in pointing labs.i think a chessie would be more of a line to do both.just my opinion.

Dec 6, 2004
As already mentioned, for what your asking, a drathaar or wirehair is very hard to beat. There coats are very well suited for water.

ribsplitter

Cyber-Hunter
Jan 19, 2004
Greenup, ky, USA.
Close working isnt nessecarily the breed of dog as much as the blood line of the breed you choose and how the dog is trained to work . It is very easy to reel any dog in to work close but much harder to take a dog that is bred to work close and make it travel out . In my opinion wanting a close working dog as far as a pointing dog goes all comes down to trusting your dog and its training . The more you trust what your animal can do the more you will let it go and and big moving dog will find more birds .

trust me

Troubled Loner
Nov 27, 2004
Jerkwater, KY
Close working isnt nessecarily the breed of dog as much as the blood line of the breed you choose and how the dog is trained to work . It is very easy to reel any dog in to work close but much harder to take a dog that is bred to work close and make it travel out . In my opinion wanting a close working dog as far as a pointing dog goes all comes down to trusting your dog and its training . The more you trust what your animal can do the more you will let it go and and big moving dog will find more birds .

What he said.

uplandchessies

10 pointer
Mar 20, 2002
Florence, Ky, USA.
A buddy of mine uses his springer for chukar, pheasant, valley quail, mountain quail and blue and ruffed grouse. He also uses her for waterfowl (when his dad is using his Lab) and Ivy retrieves geese that weigh more than her. It's more of an early-season thing though. Springers are not "built" for late-season waterfowling.

Sep 4, 2007
Ballard County
Gwp

I have a GWP that is a diehard pointer and a diehard retriever. He will fetch ducks and geese in the coldest temps and will point and honor like a pro. My hunting companion will forever be a GWP!!!!!!! ;):D:)

skin_dog1

BBBC Members
Jan 2, 2004
Bowling Green, KY, USA.
do brittanys point, i dont want a flusher, but i dont want a dog that works way out there i want a close worker

Brittany's point and for the most part are close working dogs. Alot of that will come with training. I like brittany's and am considering getting one now for the exact same purposes you're looking for. Reason being, they're smaller than the GSP's. A GSP is a great versatile breed and will do everything you asked and will work close too. Some one else mentioned the pointing labs, just expect some ribbing from the traditional retriever guys as well as the pointer guys. They are great dogs and do everything well. I'm gonna go with the brittany because of it's size and know that I probably won't have her fetching giant canadas in 10 degree temps!

PENCO GSP

Fawn
Jan 5, 2009
GSP size

I got my first gsp this year when I bought my farm never bird hunted duck hunted and dove would be it. Far as the size on the gsp it all depends who you are getting them from mine is about full grown about 40lbs alot smaller looking then the neighbors setters, her mom weighed 38 lbs. Looked at some other gsp's some weighed 50 to 60 lbs same size as my coon dog. But all I can say is Hunted with some great retrievers I would put my GSP up against all of them, loves the water. Mainly grouse hunt and no complaints in the trying to point department still a little young to be locking down on the unicorns but from what i have seen with the quail in the launchers she be there this year when i can take her to wisconsin and get her into some birds. Far as the cold have not seen any sign this whole winter of her not liking it.

Latest posts