Spring turkey/trout trip!

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by GTbowhunter, Feb 25, 2021.

1. GTbowhunter

GTbowhunter 6 pointer

Aug 26, 2020
    Owensboro
    Morning fellas, I'm setting up a trip with my brother for the spring that includes public land birds and some trout fishing within the same area. I will go anywhere in the state, but I'm looking for WMA suggestions in Eastern Kentucky that fit those criteria.

I've never went past Todd County to hunt much other than Taylorsville a time or two, so any tips would be appreciated!

carnivore and Grago like this.
  2. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    Don’t have any helpful info, but sounds like a great trip. Hope y’all have a blast

Grago and GTbowhunter like this.
  3. GTbowhunter

GTbowhunter 6 pointer

Aug 26, 2020
    Owensboro
    Im thinking DB Nat Forest honestly.... thanks brother!!

4. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Well, not sure about KY, but plenty of options in E TN. Maybe Wolf Creek Dam camp and trout fish then hit some WMAs in that area? As far as DBNF would need to be in the Natural Bridge area probably.

High Rack and Grago like this.
  5. GTbowhunter

GTbowhunter 6 pointer

Aug 26, 2020
    Owensboro
    Thanks Xbo I will look into that

6. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 10 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    Used to be plenty of camping options over around Carr Creek Lake in Eky. Public ground around with WMA's and such. I killed a few birds there in my youth. They stock trout below the dam there at Carr Creek that can be caught. A good portion of the creek there used to be wadable as it was part of the park. Assume it is still the same but may need to do a quick search or even take the drive to e certain first. Rock Creek in McCreary county may also be an option. Plenty of public ground around there, some camping, and stocked trout in the creek though they seem to be few and far between.

7. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    Plenty birds on carr creek wma; if u got a boat of some sort bring it because very few people access some of this land by boat. trout it’s just stocked trout like luvtohunt said. When they stock it’s pretty fun; but remember it’s just a small spillway. Wish u luck!

Grago and GTbowhunter like this.
  8. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Good call on Rock Creek. As long as Big South Fork isn’t up and crazy at the time they camp. Always liked that area.

GTbowhunter likes this.
  9. GTbowhunter

GTbowhunter 6 pointer

Aug 26, 2020
    Owensboro
    Thanks fellas I really appreciate it

10. perrymax

perrymax 10 pointer

Jun 6, 2002
    Bullitt Co, Ky.
  11. GTbowhunter

GTbowhunter 6 pointer

Aug 26, 2020
    Owensboro
    Man I wish... I'm going to take a hunting trip after I graduate

Grago likes this.
  12. perrymax

perrymax 10 pointer

Jun 6, 2002
    Bullitt Co, Ky.
    You go hunt in Wy and everything gets boring at home! Turkeys are way easier. They gobble all day. Trout streams everywhere on public

childersb24, xbokilla and Grago like this.
  13. GTbowhunter

GTbowhunter 6 pointer

Aug 26, 2020
    Owensboro
    Got a close friend who is a straight turkey slayer. Says the same thing about those northern birds. He said you could damn near kick them up like quail in Oklahoma lol

xbokilla and Grago like this.
  14. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Had a hard time finding the trout in rock creek when I tried. Not sure if i missed the stocking or what, was a long time ago.

15. Munson

Munson 12 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Creek fishing in the park or gorge is pretty hit&miss. Unless you know the honey holes you'll just hope to luck out shortly after a stocking.