Spring Habitat Improvement Projects

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by GTbowhunter, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Rut-n-Strut

Rut-n-Strut 8 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    Owen County
    They'll use cedars to bed in until they get a bit mature with the lower limbs dying. I'd say a big mistake is assuming deer bed in a certain spot/area. Even with a sanctuary, I think it pays off to confirm in the offseason. If a good buck beds there, leave it alone or make small improvements. If they don't, at least you've confirmed and can make plans accordingly. They'll tolerate a bit of pressure, particularly in the offseason.

I planted and protected a couple hundred trees and shrubs the past few years. I've also done a bit of edge feathering and cutting to make doe bedding areas. This year I've begun cutting to improve some tree stand locations.

GTbowhunter likes this.
  2. Campfire

Campfire 6 pointer

Oct 24, 2019
    Camp
    What type shrubs are you planting?

3. Rut-n-Strut

Rut-n-Strut 8 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    Owen County
    Plum and sumac so far. I've planted far more trees over the years, but my hope is to add several others in the coming years. I have too much going on right now, so I've been focusing on chainsaw work when I can.

4. rlb165

rlb165 12 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    Sorry, I missed this. The way I understand it, Miscanthus is a sterile hybrid, so it can only grow from the bulbs that you plant.

GTbowhunter likes this.
  5. rlb165

rlb165 12 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    That is a big 10-4. Right after season is over, I like to get out and look for beds, and see if anybody is using the beds I have made. Finding deer hair in a bed I’ve made is a rush.

I found this one the other day. Somebody has been wearing it out. It’s on the south edge of a really thick cedar thicket. EA9CB15C-2499-4971-80AD-C0917D17105B.jpeg

Rut-n-Strut and Feedman like this.
  6. Trapper Delk

Trapper Delk 10 pointer

Feb 10, 2020
    Central Kentucky.
    Got ton of that on golf course, just so you know couple years it'll take over LoL

7. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville
    Doing soil tests net week!

8. NOCAMST

NOCAMST 6 pointer

Oct 9, 2017
    Central ky
    Would by chance any of you guys be interested in a tree transplanter? The property I purchased last year has one here that I’ll never use just for lack of time that the original owner left. It appears to be used very little. If anyone is interested I can get some pictures and more info on it.

Trapper Delk likes this.
  9. Trapper Delk

Trapper Delk 10 pointer

Feb 10, 2020
    Central Kentucky.
    Post up some pictures and price probably in classifieds ( long as it's not a shovel)

James Scott White likes this.
  10. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Doesn't take much to excite you!!!

GTbowhunter and Gforcetrivers like this.
  11. rlb165

rlb165 12 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    I haven’t planted any, but I didn’t think it was supposed to spread. I may just need to stick with using cedar trees for screening.

12. Trapper Delk

Trapper Delk 10 pointer

Feb 10, 2020
    Central Kentucky.
    We planted that tall stuff on golf course clumps size of shovel and 4 years later they are 5 to 6 foot across, it'll grow on most anything, I got tractor bucket under one and the whole thing came out witch is what I wanted next spring it was growing back just not as thick, they are Hardy but use caution

GTbowhunter, rlb165 and 1wildcatfan like this.
  13. James Scott White

James Scott White Fawn

Oct 17, 2020
    Rowan County
    Biggest project I’m gonna do is add more clover to my hunting property. I’m kind of nervous about adding perennial plots in the spring because I’ve heard that weeds can easily over take them in the spring because they have all summer to compete with the crop, so I’ll put most of my perennial plots in late summer with a companion crop like grains or brassicas to help suppress weed competition and help take blunt end of browse pressure to help give the perennial a good start. I’m trying to add several plots this year tho, so I want to try a new spring clover plot or 2 to try and lighten the fall plot work load.

Some minor chores I plan on doing this year will be digging at least 1 new water hole and hopefully finding time to cut out some overgrown areas, opening up some forest canopy to make room for a new fall plot or 2 and bushhog a little before it greens up. I’ll also be putting out plenty of mineral this spring.

GTbowhunter likes this.
  14. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    I am just hoping that we'll have a normal Acorn & Hickory crop this year, there was little to none the past three years, on my property. Other habitat, on my property, seem pretty normal.

15. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Getting about time to frost seed clover