Spraying 1-2 Acres

Payton

6 pointer
Dec 6, 2005
What would you recommend to spray a 1-2 acre area? I'm going to totally kill what I have and plant a pasture type of field primarily to train dogs. The area will be bush-hogged tonight, and I will want to apply a total-kill (e.g. glyphosate, etc) before planting the new seed.Can a 1-2 acre area be sprayed with a backpack sprayer (if so, what model do you recommend)? I'm not opposed to paying for someone to spray it (perhaps with an ATV sprayer), but where would you find someone interested in spraying such a small plot?Any input would be greatly appreciated.Mark

mcdenney

12 pointer
Dec 16, 2002
Wildcat Country, USA.
What would you recommend to spray a 1-2 acre area? I'm going to totally kill what I have and plant a pasture type of field primarily to train dogs. The area will be bush-hogged tonight, and I will want to apply a total-kill (e.g. glyphosate, etc) before planting the new seed.Can a 1-2 acre area be sprayed with a backpack sprayer (if so, what model do you recommend)? I'm not opposed to paying for someone to spray it (perhaps with an ATV sprayer), but where would you find someone interested in spraying such a small plot?Any input would be greatly appreciated.Mark

Go to Southern States and get a product called Gly4 Plus and mix accordingly at 2.5 to 3oz per gallon should do the job. Similar ingredients to what is in Roundup. I bought a 2.5 gallon jug for around $50. You can also go to Walmart and buy Roundup Super Concentrate which comes in something around 40oz which will work but it is way more expensive at roughly twice the cost to treat 2 acres.

I'm sure it can be done with a back pack sprayer but not sure how effective that will be mainly from a coverage perspective. What part of the state you live in?

Last edited:

mcdenney

12 pointer
Dec 16, 2002
Wildcat Country, USA.
I'm 20 minutes west of Louisville in Southern IN.

Just checking, in case you were close by maybe we could meet and I could knock it out. Also, I am traveling around the last several weekends working on my plots but I'm not headed that direction. I would say give the back pack sprayer a try.

Last edited:

Payton

6 pointer
Dec 6, 2005
Thanks. I just found a 25 gallon sprayer that looks like it's going to be a better deal. I will have to use my truck with it though, but it pumps twice as fast, and with the truck, I'll be able to see where I've been. Of course, I'll have to buy my wife dinner to drive while I walk beside her :)

Mark

mcdenney

12 pointer
Dec 16, 2002
Wildcat Country, USA.
Actually the mixture should be 1.6oz - 3.2oz per gallon. Your application will be 1-2 qts per acre. By spraying too weak of a solution, you are developing glyphosate resistant weeds.

Correct! Sorry but I meant to say I use that per gallon of water or about 40-45ounces per 15 gallon of water which is enough for me to do an acre! It will burn it to the ground, lol. Thanks!

Latest posts