Spotting scope

Discussion in 'Elk Hunting' started by Lounative14, Sep 6, 2019.

1. Lounative14

Lounative14 Fawn

Sep 20, 2015
    I plan on doing some elk hunting within next year either in state or out of state. Want to pick up a spotting scope here soon, to use for the range and eventually some scouting whenever the elk hunting time comes. Been checking out some of the options out there. The redfield rampage, bushnell trophy xlt, and vortex diamondback have stood out to me just in initial research. Anyone have another suggestion or feedback on one of those 3? Also what other type of things will I need for a spotting scope such as tripod, cases, and such.

2. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    You can usually find some decent package deal prices if you keep looking. Scope, tripod, etc... I wouldn’t blow my load unless you think it’s something you’ll use often.

3. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Just offering an opinion but i think you should skip the spotting scope and go big on some high quality binos. I feel like a spotting scope is not as mobile and not necessary in ky.

Carl and RLWEBB like this.
  4. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    X2 on that. Good quality binos. I’ve hunted out west for elk and a good set of binos is a must. Don’t get me wrong a spotting scope would be nice but a guy can only pack so much gear in the mountains before you’re ready to lighten the pack some.

carnivore likes this.
  5. Lounative14

Lounative14 Fawn

Sep 20, 2015
    I got me a pair of leupold bx2 Acadia that are 10x42. I should say that honestly this would be more for target shooting and a little for hunting. Whenever I get to finally go elk hunting it would be 2 or 3 od us carrying gear with only one tag. Just feel like it would be a good tool to add and have for whenever the time comes

carnivore likes this.
  6. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Fair enough. Pick this one up. Id offer 275-300. https://louisville.craigslist.org/spo/d/irvington-reduced-vortex-spotting-scope/6937749232.html

7. hossamassey

hossamassey 6 pointer

Jan 18, 2006
    I just picked up the Vortex viper HD for 375 on archery talk. I would buy used, no matter which way you go.

8. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Much nicer than the diamondback, sounds like you did good. Hope you drop in and share some of your elk hunting exploits. A few people here go out west from time to time and I appreciate the scenery and the stories they share.

9. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    I have two Swarovskis. Big dollar. I would look at the Meopta, gets great reviews. You get what you pay for. My experience hunting elk in Ky. I didn't need spotter or binos. Too thick where I was. Out west is a different story. Glassing 1-3 miles away. I'm leaving next week for NM. Taking a spotter, 15x and 10x binos. Also need a good tripod. Light weight tripods shake a lot in the wind, making glassing impossible. Check out the outdoorsman in Phoenix. Good gear.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
  10. Carl

Carl 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2003
    Western Kentucky
    I bought one from Midway 5 years ago and have never used it, still in the box. Same with a chronograph.