sport is getting out of hand

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by buckeye bird hunter, May 11, 2014.

1. buckeye bird hunter

buckeye bird hunter Fawn

Oct 27, 2011
    I recently contacted a setter kennel in new hampshire about buying a pup and the litter he had was going to be 2500 a piece I don't know about you guys but I can't afford that for a pup the sport of bird hunting is getting a little out of hand

2. grousec

grousec 6 pointer

Jan 15, 2009
    mt sterling ky
    There are good pups for much less. May not be as close to a champion etc but never the less good pups out of proven wild bird dogs!

3. brettfrancis1

brettfrancis1 6 pointer

Oct 26, 2006
    Danville, KY
    That's a pretty high price for weaned puppies.

4. KYBH4Life

KYBH4Life Banned

Feb 13, 2011
    Boykin Spaniels have been that high for years

5. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    Absolutely no need to pay that for a dog. You can find the same quality bloodlines here in KY for a quarter of that. Those people up there are selling to urban yuppies who don't bat an eye at paying 2500 for a dog and 5000 for a shotgun.

What lines are you looking for? I bet we can find you a good Long Gone dog here in KY for $1000 or less.

6. mlittle

mlittle 6 pointer

Apr 18, 2009
    Versailles, KY
    I know All Age trialers that have paid that for Pointer or Setter pups from some of the high quality, big running lines that they have. They certainly spend more money on them than I would. But I know people that wouldnt pay what 700 for a pup either. It is about getting what you want.

I had a buddy tell me the other day, that it doesnt cost any more to feed a $20 pigeon than it does to feed a free pigeon. Might as well get the ones that will do you the best. I think the same goes for bird dogs. over the course of a lifetime, the feed cost and vet cost is all the same. Might as well spend a little more to get a little better blood lines. It wont neccessarily ensure you get a better bird dog, but the odds of getting a good dog are better from the proven lines.

Just my .02.

7. OldEarnhardtFan

OldEarnhardtFan 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2014
    Northeast of Berea
    I think you would be better off going local.......you really don't need the papers that come with a fancy AKC breeder....hell, the dog can't read!

8. mlittle

mlittle 6 pointer

Apr 18, 2009
    Versailles, KY
    Here is a nice local breeding, but only has 1 pup left... He might actually be out. I talked to him Friday, and he still had 1.

http://gundogforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=120&t=46425

Mods, If this violates any forum rules, let me know. I will remove it. Just trying to help him find a dog, that sounds like what he might be looking for.

9. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    Selling hunting dogs or any dog for that matter isn't necessarily about knowing dogs. It's about knowing people's personalities. More than likely that guy knows the pulse of buyers in his area or repeat customers. So he can demand a high price like that and the morons in his area will buy it. The other thing you have to consider is what the dog is going to be used for: is it a trial/breeding prospect or just a pleasure hunting dog? There are some guys that think it is really something to tell everyone, "I paid more for that dog than any dog in my whole life. I had to give $2,500 for him!" Then the guy that is thinking about breeding to him or buying one of his offspring thinks, "Damn, he paid that much for him??? He must be a good dog!"

Being a dog trader is more about knowing your potential customer and the demographics of your area.

10. Jhartley91

Jhartley91 6 pointer

Jan 20, 2014
    Seems all hunting is starting to get out of hand one way or another. It's sad to see it become a "genteel mans" sport

11. Giveem3outdoors

Giveem3outdoors 12 pointer

Jan 18, 2009
    ohio county ky
    Its crazy the amount it cost to get a pup ready even if the pup is free for a competition coon hound youve ukc performance program plus permanent registration and pkc youve got superstakes plus permanent registration and dna profiling. And thats for only 2 kennel clubs theres several more that if you want to hunt they're hunts you have to buy into theyre clubs. My pup is a 250 dollar pup which is now close 2 a 500 dollar dog.

12. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    I don't know a lot about bird dogs but I do know coon dogs. An there's no way I would pay that for any pup in the world. Just because it's a proven cross doesn't promise a good dog. Of course a lot of times the pups do make but sometimes they dont. I'm sure if you look hard enough in kentucky you will find whatever you want at a percentage of the price in your original post. Make sure before you buy a dog you hunt with at least one of the parents if your gonna pay extra for a proven cross. Man that's crazy money for a pup. He should bring the birds to your feet without you having to shoot them for that. Wow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

13. grouseguy

grouseguy 12 pointer

Spot on ... pups (like anything else) are worth what someone is willing to pay for them, and not all have the same uses for them. Yeah, $2,500 may be a little much for a guy looking for a foot hunting personal bird dog he can take out a couple of dozen times a year, but for the All-Age guy, or a well known breeder looking for the right out-cross, or maybe just a guy with a pocket full of money looking for a brag dog ... it may not be an issue at all.

I'm a firm believer that the cheapest money you'll ever pay for a dog is the amount paid for a well bred puppy. As you said, with all the other related costs that come with ownership ... whether the dog is worth a damn or not ... you might as well give yourself the best chance possible to get what you're looking for. Long after you've forgotten about the money spent, you'll still be enjoying a quality hunting partner.

14. skin_dog1

skin_dog1 BBBC Members

Think that's bad, go price a started antler dog! $10,000+ and you can't eat antlers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    I'm not a bird dog man. I do enjoy watching any working dog perform a job. However, I'll only speak for beagle hounds. I have never heard any person in my area paying $2500 for a beagle pup and I have been around hounds for over 30 years and my dad has been around them for over 50 years. Hell we'd have to spend $12,500-$15,000 to have the type of pack we like to run for swampers if we had to spend that much to get a good pup. You can spend a hell of a lot less and get an excellent bred pup. Or you can breed your own if you have the determination.

I'm sure many people will claim blasphemy on my theory but I'll say it any way. I'm a firm believer that the absolute best beagle hounds (hunting beagles) that exist are probably tied up behind some old man's barn in the sticks. The only problem is he knows exactly what he's got, has bred and culled for decades to get what he wants in a dog, keeps it to himself and doesn't sell ANY dogs.

For those people that are skeptical do an internet search on Florida Cracker Cur dogs and check out some of the forums about how bad guys are wanting them and how hard they are to find a Florida Cracker that wants to sell one.

On a side note if anyone is interested in the history of American Cowboys I would suggest reading up on the Florida Cracker story. Their story is very interesting...true American Cowboys.