Spikes forever or not?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by ggodwin, Jan 16, 2013.

1. ggodwin

ggodwin 10 pointer

Nov 16, 2009
    Boone County
    Once a spike always a spike. Has this myth been busted or not? I've heard this has been proven false. If anyone has an article or study citing facts, please post a link.

Thank you!

2. dpowers

dpowers 6 pointer

Jun 26, 2009
    Shelbyville
  3. moore82

moore82 6 pointer

Dec 23, 2010
    Frankfort, Ky
    My friend had a spike with four white feet show up four years ago on trail cam. Killed him as a four year old this season that scored mid 150... once a spike always a spike NO......

4. ggodwin

ggodwin 10 pointer

Nov 16, 2009
    Boone County
    Thanks for the information.

I have tons of spikes and buttons on camera this winter.

5. nthewild

nthewild 6 pointer

Feb 16, 2007
    As everyone said, this is very far from the truth. If people really believe this, why not "once a 4 pointer, always a 4 pointer"...and so on. Why would it just be the spikes? lol

6. SmokeyBear

SmokeyBear 8 pointer

When I first started deer hunting I had a few older hunters tell me that the number of points a buck had was his age lol. They actually believed a 6 pointer was 6 years old an 8 pointer was 8 years old and so forth. I quickly learned that was untrue. The next myth I heard was the once a spike always a spike myth. There are a bunch of myths out there like these that bring back a lot of memories for me from back in the day :cool:

7. Pointpuller

Pointpuller 8 pointer

Feb 15, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL.
    Here in FL. where I hunt, about 60% of the 1 1/2 year olds are spikes. Less than 5% of the 2 1/2 year olds are spikes. Thats the facts from 100's of weights and jawbones from my area.

8. Daniel Boone

Daniel Boone 6 pointer

Dec 6, 2004
    East KY
    My buddy's raised deer several years back. They got one fawn that was a spike as a 1.5 year old. At 2.5 he had a near perfectly symmetrical 10 point rack in mid 120's.