Soybeans???

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by trapper perry, Nov 23, 2017.

1. trapper perry

trapper perry 12 pointer

May 10, 2009
    Wondering if deer will feed on soybeans for a few days cleaning up right after combining?????

2. elkaholic

elkaholic 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    Never hunted soybeans but I think they pretty much stay out of them after a frost.

3. Chilly

Chilly 12 pointer

Yes, the 1st few days after picking were always the best for us. They will turn their focus to the clumps or small piles of bean stubble left behind. It will almost look like a coyote or a fox has been digging.

4. huckleberry

huckleberry 6 pointer

Jun 21, 2010
    Hardin Springs
    Monday I saw more deer than Ive seen all season. They were all in a picked soybean field

5. elkaholic

elkaholic 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    Guess I was mistaken.

6. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    They will pick up lose beans like candy.

7. hardtimes

hardtimes 6 pointer

Jul 10, 2008
    Mt. Washington
    I hunt in Shelby county and the farmer rotates crops each year with soy beans and corn. I have seen deer in standing beans feeding well after several frosts and have seen them in fields after the farmer has combined. I have even seen deer bed down in standing beans. Last night I watched a 120- 130 class 8 point come out and feed in the standing beans that haven't been ran yet.

8. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

One of my best Indiana spots was a soybean field behind our house. Seems the day they picked them you could count on seeing a couple good bucks working the edges and for a few days afterwards it was hit or miss. This place rotated between corn and beans with a bedding area of maybe 20 acres between two quite large crop fields. I only killed a couple with bow there mainly because the farmer didn't allow anyone to gun hunt that property. Farmer died and kids sold off any timber in that bedding area and than subdivision moved in with about 200 houses and ended that spot. One of those great close to home spots that cost me a 6 pack of Bud couple times a year for access. He called deer bean eatin SOB's and hated them with a passion.

9. ancienthunter

ancienthunter 8 pointer

Dec 25, 2011
    Over the Hill
    They combined the beans by my house yesterday and today just before dark there was 11 deer in the field picking up leftovers and our gun season is still in.

10. Outdoor_np

Outdoor_np 6 pointer

Nov 24, 2016
    South Central Kentucky
    Our property gets rotated with corn and soybeans. During the bean years the deer are all over the beans when they’re green but seem like once they turn brown they disappear. After the combine comes through they’ll pick for a few days, then disappear again. You usually see the deer come back in early to mid December (usually late muzzleloader season) and eat the beans that were missed with the combine.