Soybeans planted

Discussion in 'Habitat Improvement' started by EastKy0076, May 20, 2021.

1. EastKy0076

EastKy0076 6 pointer

Feb 13, 2020
    East ky
    I got my soybean plots in yesterday. Now the forecast is not showing rain until nine or ten days. At least they are ready for the rain, I have not had much success planting around forecast anyways. They are wrong more often than not, so hopefully it will rain soon . Plan to post updates as they grow. Last year they turned out awesome.

Timholt70 likes this.
  2. Rob7

Rob7 6 pointer

Oct 18, 2004
    How did you plant them? I am hoping to get some in the ground around mid June. I will just be discing and broadcasting.

James Scott White likes this.
  3. EastKy0076

EastKy0076 6 pointer

Feb 13, 2020
    East ky
    I used a tiller then broadcast them. Then I tilled them again just enough to get them covered.

James Scott White and Rob7 like this.
  4. James Scott White

James Scott White 6 pointer

Oct 17, 2020
    Rowan County
    Keep us posted! I’m waiting another couple of weeks because I’ve just been too busy but I have the seed purchased and just waiting to get some time. Good luck!

EastKy0076 likes this.
  5. rutnbuk

rutnbuk 6 pointer

Jul 11, 2017
    KY
    What kind of Soybean seed are ya'll planting, where tyou getting it and how much $$$?

James Scott White likes this.
  6. EastKy0076

EastKy0076 6 pointer

Feb 13, 2020
    East ky
    I planted a few acres of Laredo forage beans and a few acres of ag beans . Bought them from Southern States, about $35-40 a bag.

James Scott White and rutnbuk like this.
  7. James Scott White

Oct 17, 2020
    Rowan County
    I bought brown bag forage beans from Hinton Mills. Think I paid 22.50 a bag. Bag plants about an acre. I’m doing a blend of soybeans, buckwheat, and sunflowers. Thinking of adding clover to one those plots because I think the deer will wipe me clean and I want something standing this fall that isn’t going to require me to spray again first. Probably top dress with rye or wheat around Labor Day... That said, anyone ever mixed clover and soybeans or buckwheat? Wondering if it will work like a nurse crop for clover or choke it out?

rutnbuk likes this.
  8. Munson

Munson 12 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Just guessing here but they say buckwheat grows fast enough to choke out any weeds so I'd guess it would do the same to most anything else if planned thick enough, idk jmo.
    Where'd you find the buckwheat? I've been from here to paintsville without finding any and got some funny looks like I didn't know wth I was talking about lol.

Idk how big your plot is but unless it's several acres your pretty much wasting time/money planting sunflowers if it's not fenced. They wiped my half acre out in a week after they got up tall enough to tell what they was lol

rutnbuk, Ataulbe1 and EastKy0076 like this.
  9. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    I planted buckwheat the other day and fenced it. Last year the deer ate it when it got 4". Since I was fencing it I put a couple rows of sweet corn in there too. Now we need some rain. Have 2 or 3 more to put in yet.

rutnbuk and James Scott White like this.
  10. Munson

Munson 12 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Where did u purchase the BW?

rutnbuk likes this.
  11. James Scott White

Oct 17, 2020
    Rowan County
    I got my buckwheat at Hinton Mills. It was steep tho- 56 a bag at a bag per acre. I am putting very few sunflowers in the blend. It’s basically gonna be 5 parts buckwheat, 5 parts soy beans, and and one part sunflowers. I’ve never tried a blend like this and I may never do it again. It’s more of a trial run to see if I can help build my herd and my soil- I have fairy low deer numbers on my place and I’m just really trying to improve my herd. One of the plots is more or less just to start attracting deer to that part of my property. Doing about 4 acres worth of seed this summer and then hopefully another 8 or so this fall (clover & grains). This is only the start of my second year really trying to manage my property. Last year I only planted a couple acres in the fall and I had nothing standing for gun season but a few brassicas that the deer mostly ignored until January. I know I have to do more to make an impact- we shall see what happens.

rutnbuk and Munson like this.
  12. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    OLE RASPY and rutnbuk like this.
  13. rutnbuk

rutnbuk 6 pointer

Jul 11, 2017
    KY
    I wish deer ate thistle, I wouldn’t need to worry about planting.

14. EastKy0076

EastKy0076 6 pointer

Feb 13, 2020
    East ky
    Here comes the rain!! The beans are up and looking great, was starting to worry about lack of rain. Put a fresh salt/ mineral site out and added a homemade gravity feeder. IMG_20210527_203420.jpg

15. EastKy0076

EastKy0076 6 pointer

Feb 13, 2020
    East ky
    Plenty of rain. Hope the deer give them a break for a couple more weeks! Resizer_16223242608162.jpg