Southern Ohio Public Land Hunt

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Gootee, Aug 26, 2017.

1. Gootee

Gootee Fawn

Nov 14, 2016
    Hey Guys! I was hoping to try some out of state hunting this year with a few buddies. But none of us know anything about Ohio's public land. Has anyone ever hunted East Fork or Indian Creek? Not looking for info on specific spots, just wanting to know if there are a lot of deer in the area or not. Or as far as that goes would anyone suggest Indiana over Ohio? Thanks guys!

2. BuckReaper

BuckReaper Spike

Jul 31, 2016
    Central KY
    I would suggest Kentucky. Stay away from them Hoosiers and Buckeyes!

LoneArrow likes this.
  3. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    I hunted East Fork years ago. On the shotgun opener, I'm not sure it's possible to walk far enough away from people to feel safe, and see deer. Bow hunting would probably be better

4. Gootee

Gootee Fawn

Nov 14, 2016
    Thanks for the info! I'm planning on going only during archery season. Did you see any deer?

5. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    I got a buddy who hunts Ohio public land every year. He does quite well

6. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    I did see deer. Most were being pushed by another hunter. I would hunt east of the main entrance road. It offers the longest walk in, and back then, I ran into less people.

Keep in mind, this was over 10 years ago, so it may have changed since then.

7. joelwalters

joelwalters Banned

Aug 19, 2014
    N. Ky
    I hunted East Fork in the 90s. There are many lesser known entrances to the park. The old roads are still sort of there in places that you can walk in on. I used to go in on Twin Bridges Rd on the Williamsburg side and also on Greenbriar Rd on the Batavia side. There are a bunch more though, just look at a map. They usually have a gate across the road as you get to the park land and a parking lot.

8. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    From my experience, the Greenbriar Rd. entrance was not lesser known. I hunted turkey off that entrance exclusively in the early 2000's, and there was always someone else there. Deer season, the small parking lot was completely full, with people parked on the road.

I gun hunted east of the main road a few times and felt safer after I had walked in as far as possible. A good 45 minutes. A lot of that was not on trails. Never tried the south side of the lake.

9. Monster01

Monster01 8 pointer

Dec 9, 2013
    Hunted tranquility in seman ohio 2 years ago . bowhunted the first week of november . 2000 acres and not one empty parking place. I think i say 2 deer in 5 days. May be better other Times of the year . but ill prolly never go back.

10. elkaholic

elkaholic 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    I have only hunted private land in Kentucky, but I imagine Ohio and Indiana are the same. If you don't go far away from vehicle access you are going to see people. Also the farther you walk in adds to the effort of getting a deer out.