South Texas Hunting Trip

usmcvet06

6 pointer
Sep 20, 2006
Central KY
Headed to south Texas in Mid December. I hope to get a nice buck for the wall and a few hogs. Anyone hunted S. Texas before? I am pumped.

kyhunter270

8 pointer
Oct 15, 2004
Scott Co. Ky.
I worked on a ranch years ago in south Texas and also hunted each December with family in that part of the world for many years. It is totally different hunting than what we have here. You are generally hunting flat land either out of a blind or scouting the ranch roads. I have heard it cost's and arm and a leg now? Nice deer and plenty of wild hogs and javelina. Good luck...

usmcvet06

6 pointer
Sep 20, 2006
Central KY
I have heard it cost's and arm and a leg now?

Im not sure about the "cost" because I was selected because of being a combat veteran. I am very thankful to be able to go on a trip of a lifetime. They said I'd shoot a managment buck 140" 5+ yo. I was like thats a trophy were I come from. LOL. Should be a great time just being in a different part of the country watching the sun come up and go down!

Davidlondon4

12 pointer
Dec 2, 2004
Laurel County
I hunted the Norias section of the King Ranch back in March 1999.We bowhunted for javelina and hogs with traditional equipment.The three of us ended up taking 4 javelina but no hogs.Deer were everywhere and seemed unafraid of us as they only received minor hunting pressure.We primitive camped for 5 days and 4 nights and the 3 of us had a 10,000 acre pasture to ourselves.No high fence as all this fence kept in was the cattle.It was the best hunting trip I have ever been on.One of my hunting partners wrote a story about our trip that was published in Traditional Bowhunter Magazine in the Feb/March 2001 issue.He has since had more articles published and I think the next one will be on the online version of that magazine.I think our 9 day excursion ended up costing us about $600 to $700 a piece including renting a vehicle in Lexington to drive.I think our hunting fee was like $240 a piece plus about $30 to $40 for our hunting license.The cost have grreatly increased since then.The picture I use with my username on this forum is taken from that trip and shows the two javelina I took.

Latest posts