Son shot a toothy javelina

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by 1wildcatfan, Dec 28, 2019.

1. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Little dudes have some serious teeth and stink to high heaven.
    20191228_084512-1512x2016-1134x1512.jpg
    20191228_102426-1209x1612.jpg
    20191228_102426-1209x1612.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
    Gooser, Drahts, RLWEBB and 13 others like this.
  2. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
  3. Grago

Grago 8 pointer

Dec 13, 2016
    Thats a ugly looking little outfit hate to get bit by one Congratulations to your son

1wildcatfan and Gooch like this.
  4. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    Looks like the incisors are serrated? I’m assuming they taste like pig? Only seen a handful and never had a shot while hunting in Texas.

5. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Fellows we were with say they're horrible to eat and don't fool with them. This is a big one per guide, 35 lbs.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
  6. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    They came into our mule deer camp every night last fall. We’d hear them rummaging about outside the bunkhouse and we’d flip on the outside light. They’d scatter like rats in every direction

1wildcatfan likes this.
  7. Gooch

Gooch 10 pointer

Feb 24, 2004
    .lincoln co ky
    Nasty looking teeth , ain’t been brushed either. Don’t want that thang bittin on me.

1wildcatfan likes this.
  8. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    Congrats. Always thought they would be fun to hunt.

1wildcatfan likes this.
  9. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    No good to eat? Dang...

10. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Boys on the ranch say no, but i guarantee i wouldnt starve if that was the only thing to eat. Out after #2 this morning.

Drahts, RLWEBB and louisvillehunter like this.
  11. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    Looks like you all are having some fun!!! Congrats.

1wildcatfan likes this.
  12. Tankt

Tankt 6 pointer

Dec 26, 2019
    Kentucky
    I bet you could smoke or braise that thing to make it edible. Or make sausage out of it. I'd be willing to try anyway.

Treat it Hawaiian style. Throw it on coals underground, throw some pineapple on it, and bury it for a few hours. No way in hell would I toss it.

1wildcatfan likes this.
  13. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    I bet there's good ways to fix it. But it is not a pig, not pork, and it's not very big.

14. Tankt

Tankt 6 pointer

Dec 26, 2019
    Kentucky
    My mistake. I thought it was pork.

1wildcatfan likes this.
  15. Let's face it anybody who was brought up eating Texas style Beef Ribs and BBQ is not going to want to eat any pig, lol. But Hey baste it in BBQ sauce and put on enough Garlic & Chipotle hot sauce and you would be in hog heaven. Anyone who can eat a groundhog could eat a Javelina. It is of the Peccary family and is a pig like animal but very stinky. They are edible. Even wild boar of the old Euro/Russian variety are pretty stinky and the meat has a smell all its own that permeates even a cast iron pot. But it is very tasty. For example here is a recipe for Javelina stew but can be made with regular pork if you want to try it:

Javelina Stew, Yucatan Style

While I like using javelina, an animal native to the Yucatan (as well as Arizona, Mew Mexico and Texas), pork, wild boar, turkey or even chicken also work. There are a few ingredients here that are easy to find where there are javelina, but might be tougher up north: plantains, chipotles in adobo, fresh rendered lard and recado rojo, or achiote paste. All are easily found in Latin markets, and many regular supermarkets have plantains, too. As for the achiote paste, it's pretty necessary for the dish, and if you can't find it in a market, you can buy it online. A tip on the onion and bell peppers for the sofrito: Pulse them in a food processor to really chop them small. You can then use the processor bowl to puree the charred tomatoes without an extra clean-up step.

Prep Time20 mins
    Cook Time2 hrs
    Total Time2 hrs 20 mins

Course: Soup
    Cuisine: Mexican
    Servings: 8 people
    Author: Hank Shaw
    Ingredients
    • 4 to 6 heads of garlic (yes, whole heads)
    • 4 Roma or other paste tomatoes, sliced in half lengthwise
    • Olive oil
    • 1/4 cup fresh rendered lard or 3 Tbsp olive oil
    • 1 small onion, minced
    • 1 red bell pepper, minced
    • 1 green bell pepper, minced
    • 4 garlic cloves, minced
    • 3 teaspoons ground cumin
    • 1 to 3 chipotles in adobo, chopped
    • 2 tablespoons achiote paste
    • 2 to 3 pounds javelina, pork or turkey meat, cut into about 2-inch pieces
    • 1 quart broth (chicken, pork, vegetable)
    • 1 baking potato, peeled and diced
    • 1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into chunks
    • 1 or 2 chayote squash, peeled and cut into chunks
    • 2 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
    • 1 yellow plantain, peeled and cut into chunks
    • Salt to taste
    • Cilantro for garnish
    Instructions
    • Char the tomatoes. Set the halved tomatoes on a baking sheet and broil them until the tops are blackened. Keep an eye on them, but this should take about 8 to 10 minutes. Puree the tomatoes, char and all, in a blender or food processor and set aside.
    • Roast the garlic. Switch the oven to 375°F. It should preheat quickly, as it will already be warm from broiling. Slice the tops of the garlic heads off and set them in a nest of aluminum foil. Drizzle some olive oil over them, seal the foil and roast until aromatic and soft, about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
    • Make the sofrito. Meanwhile, heat the lard or oil in a soup pot and cook the onion and both bell peppers gently until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the 4 chopped garlic cloves and cook another minute or two.
    • Add the meat. Add the cumin, chipotles, achiote paste and the pureed tomatoes and mix well. Add the chunks of javelina or pork. Mix and pour in the broth.
    • Simmer. Add about 3 more cups of water and the diced potato. Add salt to taste. Simmer gently for 1 hour.
    • Add the roasted garlic. While the stew is simmering, the roasted garlic will be ready. Squeeze it out of the husks and mash and chop it into a paste. Add it all to the simmering stew.
    • Finish. After 1 hour or so, add the remaining vegetables and keep cooking until the meat is tender, probably another hour. Taste for salt and garnish with cilantro.
    Notes
    As I mentioned above, of all the stews I've made over the years, this one improves the best with age. It's better on day two than day one, and even better a couple days later. It should keep for a week or so in the fridge.