Son has a shooter

1wildcatfan

12 pointer
Jan 2, 2009
raised n Bullitt Co.
Rifle he popped a yote with the other day, Daniel Defense .308, I put a different scope on to play at distance. It's in mils, working up a dope chart yesterday. Zeroed at 100, backed off to 400. Factory Norma 147 fmj put two 400 yd shots at slightly less than an inch. Middle of afternoon, heat mirage got bad so we stopped. Chronograph is key and mine had dead batteries so we were winging it on fps, just using the info off the box. Need slight adjustment left and up to be on.
Screenshot_20220815-161523_Gallery_copy_432x936.jpg

20220815_160337_copy_1200x1600_1_381823832760542.jpg

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky
I always hesitate to adjust my scope over hitting left/right at ranges beyond 200yds. There could be a bit of wind out there pushing you.

ARs tend to lose a little steam over a bolt action of same barrel length velocity.

Good shooting rifle and a steady hand.

1wildcatfan

12 pointer
Jan 2, 2009
raised n Bullitt Co.
That’s good shooting! Will he use that rifle for deer season or any other hunts?
Ron, he said he'll deer hunt with it but with a different scope, the one he used on the yote the other day, Leupold 2.5-8x36.
I put a Burris 3-15x50 to play at long range. Friend of ours, ex Marine, has taken my son out shooting at distance. Teaching him how to use mils where he dials it up. I've gone the same route but with a different scope. All of our scopes for LR are FFP with a fine reticle. Tough to see reticle below 10x against trees. 4-5x it all but disappears.

1wildcatfan

12 pointer
Jan 2, 2009
raised n Bullitt Co.
I always hesitate to adjust my scope over hitting left/right at ranges beyond 200yds. There could be a bit of wind out there pushing you.

ARs tend to lose a little steam over a bolt action of same barrel length velocity.

Good shooting rifle and a steady hand.
No wind when we were shooting Monday. Little hollow protected from the wind plus plenty of trees to get a wind read if there was a wind.
In the wide open at long distance, a Kestrel gives you the wind speed and shooting solution.

Are you saying two bullets exiting a barrel, at the same velocity, one from AR, one from bolt action, the AR will drop more over distance???

Drahts

12 pointer
Apr 7, 2015
KY
That's good shooting off that bench! Following the response to above! I'm gonna mess around with a Sig Scope that bluetooth connects to my rangefinder and see how well it works. Just haven't decided if I'm gonna take a scope off one of my existing rifles or is this the reason to buy a new one? Then the dilemna what caliber!

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky
Are you saying two bullets exiting a barrel, at the same velocity, one from AR, one from bolt action, the AR will drop more over distance???
If the gas port is before the powder reaches peak pressure you can lose a small amount of velocity. With that long of a barrel I’d say the manufacturer specs tested with a 24” or 26” barrel were what threw off the velocity #’s.

1wildcatfan

12 pointer
Jan 2, 2009
raised n Bullitt Co.
If the gas port is before the powder reaches peak pressure you can lose a small amount of velocity. With that long of a barrel I’d say the manufacturer specs tested with a 24” or 26” barrel were what threw off the velocity #’s.
I deducted 150 fps to allow for 6" shorter barrel. 18" vs 24". Plugged in the numbers on my ballistic program, shot low. Need to up the velocity numbers on the program, see what happens.

1wildcatfan

12 pointer
Jan 2, 2009
raised n Bullitt Co.
That's good shooting off that bench! Following the response to above! I'm gonna mess around with a Sig Scope that bluetooth connects to my rangefinder and see how well it works. Just haven't decided if I'm gonna take a scope off one of my existing rifles or is this the reason to buy a new one? Then the dilemna what caliber!
I'm getting the Kilo 2400 ABS to play with. Bluetooth to my phone. Will be a wonderful thing as long as everything is charged or good batteries.

Latest posts