Something to give you hope about the USA.....

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by reivertom, Feb 8, 2020.

1. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    This is the 2020 Kentucky All State Choir singing our National Anthem. It happens every night at the Hyatt Regency in Louisville during the conference. It is the last year for our youngest daughter, so we won't see it anymore in person. I wanted to share it one last time. It gives me goose bumps every time I've heard it in person.....

2. JR PORTER

JR PORTER 10 pointer

May 1, 2014
    KNOTT CO. KY
    Beautiful! Brings tears to your eyes!

EdLongshanks and Dark Cloud like this.
  3. cedar creek

cedar creek 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2014
    Glad to hear that, nice job young men women

Dark Cloud likes this.
  4. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    Very cool..

But the video gives me Vertigo.. lol

5. Tom Threetoes

Tom Threetoes 10 pointer

Oct 4, 2002
    southern Indiana.
    Beautiful, made this old man tear up.

Dark Cloud and EC like this.
  6. jlnft

jlnft Spike

Feb 22, 2005
    Fort Thomas, KY
    That was so good! Just makes you smile!

Dark Cloud likes this.
  7. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    If you can’t have a warm feeling in your heart ,listening to that, you need to ask am I an American

8. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    These kids in the All State Choir are the best from schools around the state (about 500) that come together every year and put on a concert, it's also a great experience for them. What the video doesn't show is that after the anthem ends, they break out into a chant of USA,USA!

9. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    That is awesome

10. 00noturkey

00noturkey 10 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    high grove, ky
    i thought i was the only one that liked that song, by Leonard Cohen

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  11. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    What?

12. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Now that’s the damn way it’s supposed to be sung!!! My skin crawls every time some little twit wants to try and make a name for her/his/zee self and go all kinds of erratic throughout the anthem. I don’t like hearing some wanna be’s epileptic vocal seizure. It’s a fricking anthem to be respected and celebrated, not a folk song that you get to mutilate or “interpret” in order to make yourself feel important and creative. Get over yourself.

congrats to the state champions/participants! Truly amazing

13. gds

gds 8 pointer

Jan 2, 2005
    NORTHERN KY.
    If listening to the choir sing that song doesn't make you tear up and proud to be an American , you need to leave this country and live somewhere else .

14. 00noturkey

00noturkey 10 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    high grove, ky
    i had to many. i was thinking of a different song. Hallelujah. Sorry.
    Stroke's will do it to ya. lols

15. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 10 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    Why is the national anthem so hard to sing?

...Then why is it so unbelievably hard to sing? I frequently lead the Flag Folding Ceremony here at the museum (see the video below or on YouTube), which includes leading visitors in the singing of the National Anthem after we unfurl a replica of the original Star-Spangled Banner. No matter how low I start it, I know I'm switching keys and cheating that high note, and so is everyone else around me.

Turns out, there is an answer to that question and we have just the experts here on staff who can help us out. I interviewed Kenneth Slowik, the Director of the Smithsonian Chamber Music Society.

"It has a lot to do with the range," he said. "It's a very wide range. Basically, the notes are very high." Okay, fair enough, but how high are we talking?

"High f—

^^^

it's traditionally sung in Bb major [not the original] because going higher than that makes it hard for the altos and basses singing to get to the high note, and going lower makes it hard for the tenors and sopranos to manage," he said...

Even trained choirs and singers have trouble with the song, and some flat out refuse to sing it because it is too difficult. So if people whose livelihood is singing can't do it, what are the untrained to do?...

Another important tip: get the lyrics right.
    ^^^
    If you think "O'er the ramparts" is a tough line, just be glad we typically don't sing beyond the first stanza, which contains challenging phrases such as "foe's haughty host in dread silence reposes" and "fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses?"...

https://americanhistory.si.edu/blog/2014/05/why-is-the-national-anthem-so-hard-to-sing.html

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020