Something Bit Me !

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by HuntressOfLight, May 29, 2020.

1. slickhead slayer

slickhead slayer 12 pointer

Nov 14, 2005
    VP OF ADMIN Development
    They say the best treatment is to burn your computer.

2. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    Sorry, that doesn't compute. I blame the evil prednisone.

3. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    Prednisone was my best friend for yrs and my knee pain! It's bad on you but man does it work.

4. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    My father may soon be the recipient of a local steroid injection to his knee. One concern with the roids are lowered immune system functioning. When I went to Paducah this morning to purchase my RX, stopping into two other businesses as well, it was a madhouse of shopping. Hardly anyone wearing masks, which didn't bother me. I'm guessing the recent mob events rather influenced all to not give a hoot one way or another about any potential need for masks and social distancing. Maybe mobs were shown on the tele with no masks. Monkey see monkey do.

5. timer

timer 10 pointer

Feb 20, 2013
    La Grange
    My bites are still tolerable without oral steroids. Last time I was bitten I had to go to my doc twice and I had to take oral prednisone for four weeks.

To me, itching is a type of pain....I had to have relief.

6. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    That's good. I most certainly do not want any tick bites this year, but I imagine it will be impossible to avoid, just like this poison ivy, as much as I am outside. I completely passed out for most of the afternoon, after taking the first two tablets today, just like the first round. I think most people suffer the opposite. I just took the third one and my ears are ringing. Two more before bedtime, too, and I still have to drive lengthy distance tonight. Nasty, but the reaction to the urushiol oil is beginning to fade out again, with the help of the Ivarest cream. Interesting how the first cream proved ineffective, once the inflammation began to really ramp up, but that it works great for the "mythical turkey mites".

7. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    Although my ears are ringing, something sounded off in the direction of the lower field. I put my dog up and went to investigate all alone. Sure enough, I had previously passed out, not even hearing the tractor running for hours. All was three feet tall and no longer. l still need to have beneath the perimeter trees hit (much poison ivy), and Mr. 30 is to bring something for that along with a lift. Such should help with the ticks and poison ivy, but the frogs and other wildlife are less than pleased. The frogs sounded different to me, garnering my attention.

Timer, if you are unaware, many times a physician will write in a refill of that prednisone, so that you don't have to waste time/money returning for a second visit. Mine did it, which was extremely helpful.

Last edited: May 30, 2020
  8. timer

timer 10 pointer

Feb 20, 2013
    La Grange
    Agree and I am aware. But in this case he had varied from the normal dosepak course of therapy and started me on a much higher initial dose. (I was an itchy mess in a lot of distress.) The second two-week course of therapy didn't start with as high an initial dose and we discussed getting a long-acting injection instead of the tablets. The tabs hadn't upset my stomach and were working well, so I opted to stay with the tabs.

Amazingly, I'm still doing okay with the latest two bites. They are still weeping just a little crusty crud from the center....but there is very little cellulitis around the bite and they haven't itched much at all. Maybe the tick that got me was a wimp....

HuntressOfLight likes this.
  9. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    Lol, I possess high confidence that you are simply a tough one, possessing a high tolerance for pain, yourself. I don't recall those bites that I received back in 2015 to puss much nor ooze. That was what was so very peculiar about them. Simply elevated with a red crater, they were, like an almost microscopic volcano, but highly visible to the naked eye. They were on my legs, arms and torso (front and back), if my memory correctly serves me. I had too many to bother counting, but the total was probably under 15.

The itch was a very deep one, and my problem is that my fingernails grow fast, hard, thereby typically extremely long. I can usually prevent myself from scratching (one brief moment yesterday was an exception, and so I immediately cleansed the quarter sized area near my navel and quickly applied tea tree oil as an antiseptic, before reapplying the Iverast cream, resolving all fairly quickly), but if the itch from reactions is not quelled before I fall asleep, I literally create enough damage to scar my skin. It's times like these when I ensure my fingernails are meticulously cleansed with a toothbrush and sterilized with rubbing alcohol, prior to retiring for the evening, in the event the medications wear off, prior to awakening, so that I reduce the chance for secondary infection.

I think this itches so profusely, simply due to locale, being that although taunt, it is not as taunt as my wrist, which has less fat cells; some areas of the skin possess more nerve endings than others. That may be a contributing factor to your decreased reaction, this time, but many other reasons could be, as well, even including recent diet. Regardless, I think you were wise to hold off on the injections, saving them for only when absolutely necessary and no more than three times a year, if possible.

I did see one seriously huge wolf spider here in the garage with me last night, but I permitted him to remain, being that he is hunting down other critters. There were many of them within the long flower bed running down the side of the house, when I was clearing it one night a few weeks ago, and I was glad to learn I had not been blindly digging in nests of brown recluses.

That's one spider I do not wish to receive a bite from, ever. I saw the results of such upon a patient having just been released from the hospital, when up here last time. He was at a festival and completely drugged up, for it all, with his port still inserted and leg casted. After an extensive conversation with him and his assistant, I suggested he file suit against his landlord, being that it allegedly wasn't the first time and nothing had been done to previously exterminate the spiders from his residence. His previous bites were still horrendously painful looking.

2nd tablet of the second day just down the hatch... what a nasty taste, too! :eek:

10. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    I do not have tattoos nor intend to receive any, and although far from scientific, this seems relevant:

https://www.healthline.com/health/body-modification/pain-tattoos-chart

11. Stone Branch

Stone Branch 6 pointer

Jun 27, 2019
    Lewis county, KY
    How does one even survive a world as perilous as such?

G

12. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    Pretty sure Timer has seen a world that you could not even begin to imagine within your wildest of dreams, and he is doing just fine, due to his training. It's called discipline! :p

I'm actually sitting within Tillville pulling weeds by shop light, being that it's cooler and more pleasant at night, reducing perspiration thereby itch. Again, discipline my friend, pure discipline. Mind over matter.

13. rockhousehunter

rockhousehunter 10 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    West Liberty, Ky
    Sounds like a jaded lover to me, considering location of bite and symptoms.

14. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    Would have to be some evil carnate spirit and I have, thank God above, not sensed the presence of one. It's always possible the urushiol was transferred again from my dogs. I did notice them investigating the poison ivy infested blackberries yesterday and called them out of it, but there are plenty of other places in which they could be getting into it, as well. Not for much longer, though! Battle is imminent! :mad:

The area is looking really good in appearance today. :) I did remove the one small brown speck last night, when all was profusely itching once again, simply because I became paranoid during my momentary fit (surely a result of the drug) over it being an almost microscopic tick critter; then, I applied the tea tree oil and Ivarest cream, before popping the two, nightly prednisone. It is all honestly hard to tell, simply because experience with poison ivy has taught me that I must immediately suffer the prednisone, or the inflammation becomes seriously out of hand with a quickness, in my case. I do indeed believe such to be the culprit again, though, simply due to appearance. Would post a photo of the carnage if I could, just so you could see my cute belly button; it's an inny/outie:p

rockhousehunter likes this.
  15. Carl

Carl 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2003
    Western Kentucky
    An old Indian cure, rub some Jewelweed on it.

HuntressOfLight likes this.