somethig you miss from childhood

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by rock802, Apr 26, 2009.

1. rock802

rock802 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2005
    primrose ky.
    Me and my 5 yr old just come in from planting some rasphberry briars, and it got me to thiking. I grew up in se michigan and there was a older couple that lived next door, I always called them grandma and grandpa, they had a big patch of briars, they sold the berrys roadside along with apples from there orchard and they had a huge pumpkin patch. Anyways they would tell me to come over and eat all that i want, mom would always try and pay them but they would say he don't eat much. that has been over 30 years ago but i can remember it like it was yesterday. they were good people that i truely loved like grand parents. and my little one likes the berrys as much as i did. what are some of your memories?

2. philipfleek

philipfleek 12 pointer

Feb 24, 2008
    philville, KY
    Fishing with my grandpa Martin, we went almost every Saturday.
    Playing with my cousins in the creek.
    Grandma Fleeks Sunday chicken.
    shooting bows with all my uncles.

3. rock802

rock802 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2005
    primrose ky.
    I never got to know my grandpas, my dads dad died when he was 6 months old and my moms dad got killed when she was 6 yrs old, one grandma died when i was 4 and the other one lived with us till she died when i was 14.

4. Dave62

Dave62 6 pointer

Jan 17, 2008
    Breckinridge Co., KY
    Fishing and hunting with my great uncle. He was a blast. He would start making up songs and singing them, or tell you a tall tale making it sound like it could be true. He was also good at getting me in trouble with my mom. I remmember he told me to ask my mom if she ever seen Alice Make Water. Then he told me if she said no then say this, "Have you ever seen Alice make water. Oh she could piss such a stream. She could piss a mile an hit a quarter, but you couldn't see her a$$ from the steam!" :D I was 5 when he taught me that, and over 25 years later, I remember it like yesterday. Oh yeah, my mom washed my mouth out with soap after that one. Even though he set me up on that, I still loved every moment with him.

5. Art

Art 12 pointer

Nov 27, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    I guess the thing I miss most is family. When I was little, I had a large, close knit family. That quickly disappeared, but I still have fond memories of doing things with my family when I was real little.

6. I will have to think on this one. Too good of a thread to just sling out on a whim.:)

Some just came to mind. Playing a game we called "Tracking" when it snowed. One group would leave out 20 minutes ahead of the other and we would try to track them before they could circle back and get home. The sound and smell of the 3 pair of socks you wore on your hands cause you were too poor for gloves, drying out on top of the ole Stokermatic. My brothers and myself and the neighbor boys walking the frozen creeks and laying on our sides and spinning round and round acting like we were foxes in a trap. The bicycle rides to the pantry and the walks in the middle onf the night. The neighbor kids coming up at 11 pm, Wool blanket in hand and we would take off and walk till we got tired and "Camp". And the old retriever mix dog named red that was the possum getter. He always laid still all night as I used him for a pillow.
    Running that ole possum in a den and getting gas and pouring it in the hole and lighting it. (Guess I should have kept that one to myself but WOW, what a fireball. lol ) Being able to run and play all day, only worry we had or disappointment of the day was you saw the sun starting to set.
    Anxiously awaiting for the farmer to bust up the fields so we could build dirt clod forts and play bombs. I had a blood clot on my eyeball for near a year after one day of that.
    Staying out all night withall the neighborhood kids sliding on ice and the icy roads in cowboy boots, seeing who could go the farthest. (One night, as I stopped sliding, the neighbor kid knocked my feet out from under me. Knococked me out cold. They said when they found I was still breathing, they just pushed me off the side of the rd. Said I layed there about 30 minutes before I woke up. And last but not least, getting off the bus and heading to the ole sandy ditch to look for deer tracks. I would take a limb and mark out the one there so I could tell what was fresh the next day. Many, many things. But now, I come back to reality, take myself and my 16 year old daughter to the store and to make a night deposit at the bank and let her stay at a friends while I make a stop at the farm. Thanks for this thread, it has been fun.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  7. EKUgrad

EKUgrad 10 pointer

Nov 9, 2004
    Lexington
    I miss the feelings of peace... not going to bed every night and waking up every morning worried that the good job I now enjoy will be insufficient to service the debt that it required me to incur... at significant risk due to the populist political pandering that we have slipped into... not to mention the fear that my kids will never know "the good life" that was squandered and built upon the shameful borrowing (read theived) from future generations...

8. what i miss :)

I miss catching lightning bugs on summer evenings
    my dad taking me and my siblings fishing
    my dad taking me on short lil rides on the back of his motorcycle
    my moms homemade chocolate chip ice cream
    having picnics in the backyard
    playing at the park in front of my parents house
    trips to holiday world

I cant wait to share all of these things with my LIL man Hayden. ITs awesome getting to relive what you did as a child with your own :)

9. KyBucks10

KyBucks10 12 pointer

Dec 5, 2008
    Burgin, Kentucky
    i miss going to pizza hut every friday with dad, then going to louisville motor speedway to watch the figure 8 races! Raymond "Unconscious" Johnson was my favorite. Im sure ill tell some of those stories to my kids one day.

10. mrdux

mrdux Guest

I miss honest journalists who REPORTED the news rather than trying to BE the news. I grew up on Chet Huntley and David Brinkley during the Vietnam war. They may have had an opinion about current events but they didn't try to beat the public into submission with them.

I miss the fact that most folks would have been called "Politically Incorrect" now but cared less in those days. It was shameful to have a family member who was light in the loafers or who got pregnant before she was married. If we got in trouble at a friends house, we were likely to get a scolding or butt whipping there and we were sure to get a butt beating when we got home. Kids were respectful of adults. We could leave the house on our bike at daylight, packing our handy pellet/BB guns, and not come home till dark and our parents knew we were safe and would stay out of trouble or else! We never worried about adults doing anything bad to us (I'm sure it happened but we didn't hear about it) unless we got the discipline mentioned above. We grew up having respect for politicians because we thought they were looking out for the best interest of our country and were supporting our Constitution.

11. rock802

rock802 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2005
    primrose ky.
    so far they all sound like they are good memories

12. philipfleek

philipfleek 12 pointer

Feb 24, 2008
    philville, KY
    I have more going to add/edit soon. but those came to mind first.
    Been a pretty fun day thinking about the younger days though-----thank you.

13. WHOHA

WHOHA Spike

Feb 3, 2008
    Breckinridge Co.
    I miss watching Saturday morning hunting and fishing show's with my dad when they ONLY came on SAT. Mornings. Riding my bike down to my cousin Wibs house who would watched me as a little guy on the weekends when my folks were at work, I was only about 8 or 10 then and she was in her early 70's but she always treated me like I was an adult we would sit and talk (BS) for hours I loved to her stories. She has been gone for about 13 years now but I will always cherish the time I got to spend sitting around in her kitchen eating her world famous cinnamon toast while she drank coffee and just talking about what ever was on our mind.
    When I was a teen I always loved those times that me and my buddies would go "coon hunting" or "camping" and would always manage to loose the dogs or get lost and have to stay out all night to try and recover them or find our way back. Which in reality usually involved a case of beer and/or girls. :D

14. FULLOFIT

FULLOFIT Spike

Mar 9, 2009
    BG,KY
    Hunting and fishing w/ my uncle david, and just hanging out he was like my second dad.
    Riding the tractor fender w/ my papaw grubb.
    Eating my mamaw grubbs pinto beans, man i tell u what she made the best pintos u ever eat. My sister finally got it out of her (the secret) (bacon grease) 2 wks b 4 she passed. Going to see d.c. My other papaw. My great grand father papaw arlie and his apple jack plug tobacco. All kinds of things i miss as a child, bugs bunny cartoons, woody wood pecker, sandford and son while i eat supper. This is a great thread keep it going.

15. Going fishing with my papaw. I lost him to kidney failure nearly 2 years ago and It was just like the Cats in the cradle song. I got busy and never made the time which I will never make the mistake of being to busy again. I miss real cartoons, those made before the PC police came around. I miss leaving home after breakfast on my bike and not coming home till dark, some body would always feed you. I miss backyard baseball where we could be heros. I miss the innocence that was lost with age and responsibility.