Someone give me there opinion

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by millerhunter, Nov 11, 2013.

1. whitleycotrapper

whitleycotrapper 12 pointer

May 20, 2005
    Williamsburg, KY
    I was thinking the same thing about never seeing the same deer. I know 1200 acres is a lot but my neighbor gets the same deer on camera as I do and has as far as 2 miles away as the crow flies. Would be hard to not shoot anything that somebody else doesn't have a picture of already. Just out of curiosity what part of the state is this lease in

2. fcfishking

fcfishking 8 pointer

Apr 11, 2010
    Fairdale, KY
    We have a lease as well with 4 of us. We have very clear written rules and in 6 years we have had no problems. Each member is allowed 5 guest days a year but no guests on opening weekend of bow, muzzleloading, or modern firearm. Guests are given a copy of the rules and a release of liability form (required by the landowner) and they sign both and return. Guests can take a mature doe and a mature buck. We practice QDMA type recommendations and it has proven very successful. To get a good buck /doe ratio, you need to take out the older does as they are the one's more apt to have twins. As a lot of the guests could not tell a 120" from a 160", we just tell them the rack has to be a minimum of 15", or as they can understand, at least as wide as the ears extended. We actually have up in the camper a QDMA poster showing how to age deer, etc. If we don't educate the guests as to what is expected, then the fault lies entirely with us and not them. We have had a deer or two that were close, or maybe even a little under, but the guest made a good effort to at least try to do the right thing. One thing we do require is that if a guest is hunting for a weekend, and he takes a buck early, he has to stay and hunt and at least attempt to take a doe. It is about proper management and if they bail out early they are not invited back next year. Written rules and a signature have made a big difference. Our rules talk about proper shooting hours (never come back if you shoot early or late), ATV access, camp chores (just because you are a guest, you are still expected to help cut firewood or clean up pots and pans), etc, etc. Vague instructions or a quick 30 second "don't shoot this deer" just don't work.

3. Fat Rax

Fat Rax 6 pointer

The only deer you have rights to is the one in your shooting lane. Crazy Yes!

4. hunting buddy

hunting buddy 12 pointer

Oct 23, 2010
    bg
    Millerhunter after putting myself in your shoes, I can see where you'd be upset. If he told you he would do what's asked of him and didn't then you should be a little upset but at the same put yourself in his shoes. Maybe he acted the way he did is because he knew you would be upset and just wanted to avoid any argument. Call him and talk to him after your calm enough to do so and you just might be able to find out what he was really thinking.

5. Highbow

Highbow Cyber-Hunter

Dec 16, 2001
    Johnson County, Ky.
    I think you learned a great lesson in life, you don't just loan a gun to someone, set them on a big deer farm and expect them to pass what comes through. Next time you get that idea in your head maybe you will just enjoy the hunt by yourself.

6. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    When I was young my best friend would let me hunt with him some and he would always say "don't shoot my big ones". I would always say I'll shoot a big one if it comes by and he said he would be mad. I told him I can find new friends but big deer are hard to come by.

I know we were joking but the fact is NEVER ask someone so come hunt with you if you friendship can't stand something like that. Its unfair to ask someone to pass a big deer because you want to save them for yourself and you couldn't get it done. It seems all you want him for is to kill off some little does to help you manage your land.

If someone was serious about me not killing a "big" one then I would turn down the offer to hunt that spot.

So don't put yourself in that position of having someone kill your big ones if you don't want them killed. I think this is 100% on you even if he was an ungrateful butt.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  7. Ignert

Ignert 6 pointer

Oct 31, 2007
    And you wonder why you haven't heard from him since. Why let him hunt if all that was available to him was yearlings? Sour grapes abound. You asked for opinions, so don't get itchy when you get them.

8. stogie

stogie Fawn

Nov 7, 2013
    Louisville, KY
    I agree with you and understand your point. I hunt a friends land and there is at least one 10 pointer I won't shoot because it is his land and I respect him and appreciate the opportunity. Seems like a lot of hunters loose the meaning of trust and respect when they see a big buck or any deer sometimes. I LOVE deer hunting and have been hunting for almost 40 years. I would NEVER choose to harvest a deer or any animal against a hunting buddies wishes. I would never take that guy hunting again and furthermore not likely spend any time with him due to his dis-respect and lack of trust.

If you see deer more important than friendship or being a trustworthy man, than you are not much of a man.

9. digger658

digger658 6 pointer

Sep 10, 2008
    South of Salt River
    In certain lakes the state says you can't keep a bass less than 15", but that's alright, keep it, it's just a stupid rule, right? I'm with millerhunter on this one.

If you are on my land and I say don't do this or you can do this.....you darn well better or better not. We got two rules on my property, no does and no trash. Went by about a month ago by one of the guys stand that hunts there ONLY during gun season. I was shocked, mountain dew bottles, candy wrapper and even an old ground blind shredded to pieces from years ago when he started hunting with us. Hey it's no big deal, right? Rules are meant to be broken, right? So I cleaned it up for him and put all the trash out by the gate with his ladder stand on top of it. I've not heard a thing from him and don't want too.

millerhunter I wouldn't let him back on your place.

10. wademup

wademup 12 pointer

Feb 5, 2004
    benton, ky, USA.
    So are you saying big bucks don't chase immature does? I'm confused because I said that bucks will breed any doe that's in heat and you LOL that ? Please explain what you mean as I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt for now

11. buzzbaiter83

buzzbaiter83 10 pointer

I would never ask a buddy not to shoot anything. I could understand not wanting to kill small bucks more than the mature ones. Sounds like antler envy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    I've been there, on a big buck that a bunch of you have drooled over on this forum. Had him at 10 yards for at least 20 minutes, but I didn't shoot him because I was asked not to.

That being said, that situation is a whole lot like the way to keep from contracting an STD. If you don't want to risk it, keep it in your pants and don't let anyone else hunt your property.

13. millerhunter

millerhunter 6 pointer

Oct 28, 2009
    Well put digger. Very simple to me. I have always had respect for my friends or land. Anyways I had afew cold ones last night and could not keep my mouth shut. This entire topic went way to south. New day new topic. I've been in my stand all day fighting this wind. Not seeing much. Anyone seeing many deer today with the wind like this?

14. millerhunter

millerhunter 6 pointer

Oct 28, 2009
    Does can start coming into heat about 8 months old. Your correct with what you said. But anytime I've ever seen a doe being chased it was a big doe. May be just what I've seen. Still the point of the post was took wrong.

15. hunting buddy

hunting buddy 12 pointer

Oct 23, 2010
    bg
    Your way more of a dedicated hunter than I! I got off around 2:45 and went and climbed in my stand, about 20min later I was climbing back down. Was only the 2nd time I didn't feel safe in a tree stand.