Solved the problem of getting cold!

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by woodscreeper, Dec 18, 2003.

1. woodscreeper

woodscreeper Fawn

Dec 18, 2003
    Lincoln, ky, USA.
    I just bought some Artic Shield Clothing (coat and bibs). The stuff works pretty well. Last Saturday I got into my treestand @ 6:15. Didn't get down until 1:00. I had 1/2" of snow clinging to me and just had started to get a little chilly. Stayed dry too!! I haven't had the stuff out in a downpoor yet so don't know if it will stand up to that. The only thing I had on underneath was a pair of sweatpants and a sweater. If you walk far, very fast though, you will wind up soaked w/ sweat. Just thought some of you may want to know[:)]

2. Ross

Ross 6 pointer

Dec 15, 2001
    no underwear?

3. Albinobuck

Albinobuck 6 pointer

Jul 23, 2002
    Owensboro, ky, USA.
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Ross</i>
    <br />no underwear?
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

No underwear no shoes no socks your half naked[;)] Just joking around[:D] thanks for the info I'm looking into buying a new coat and bibs this year. my old ones have been around for about 10 years now

Good Luck Be Safe and Get A Big One

4. theck

theck 6 pointer

Jun 15, 2003
    KY, USA.
    I have a pair of artic shield gloves and they are noisy. Are your clothes noisy when you move in them.

5. woodscreeper

woodscreeper Fawn

Dec 18, 2003
    Lincoln, ky, USA.
    Yes, I guess you could say that I was half naked (or half clothed[;)]). They are a little noisey when you move. I think that it's the inside barrier that makes the noise. They are the warmest clothes that I've had on, but then again I'm just an ole' country boy and haven't had any other experiences w/ extreme weather gear. I would love to find the perfect setup ie. no noise, breathable completely waterproof and would keep you warm down in the 20's while sitting still and in contact with cold tree stand steel. Anybody know of such a critter?

6. KYhunter

KYhunter Cyber-Hunter

Dec 9, 2001
    The "critter" is sheep, the product wool.

7. woodscreeper

woodscreeper Fawn

Dec 18, 2003
    Lincoln, ky, USA.
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by KYhunter</i>
    <br />The "critter" is sheep, the product wool.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> I've put on 2 prs of wool socks, made for the U.S. Navy Artic Recovery detachments, plus boots, and my feet still get WET and COLD. For my experience w/ the socks, wool was not the cure all. Are you holdin out on us that would like to know?[;)]

8. KYhunter

KYhunter Cyber-Hunter

Dec 9, 2001
    I never wear more than one pair of socks. If your toes don't have wiggle-room they will get cold early. If I plan on sitting a long while and will be walking a ways to my stand I change socks once I get into the stand. I also wear only a long sleeved shirt to my stand and carry the rest of my clothes. I usually don't start wearing long johns till it gets below 20 or so. any lower I also use those "bears Feet" and that helps a little, along with three hothands from the 'Mart. If the wind isn't blowing too much I can hang a couple hours at about zero.

9. Brutus Hedgeapple

Brutus Hedgeapple 10 pointer

Jul 30, 2002
    South Central Ky.
    Wool for me too. I've been wearing a pair of Duofold long underwear of 100% merino wool (not itchy) and some heavy military surplus wool pants (itchy if you put it next to your skin) and have been real pleased with this combo. I've also bought a Woolrich wool hunting coat and wear whatever I think I need under it, usually a heavyweight fleece longhandle shirt and a Cabela's wool sweater. Wool is supposed to keep you warm even if it gets wet. During a very heavy snowstorm late last season, I had snow stuck to me and it really made good snow camo, but I was dry and very warm. I really like Smartwool socks too.
    If you see someone in a red and black wool coat, dark gray wool pants, wearing a fedora style hat carrying a longbow, it might be me.

BH

10. Brutus Hedgeapple

Brutus Hedgeapple 10 pointer

Jul 30, 2002
    South Central Ky.
    Still trying to find the right kind of gloves to bowhunt in though.

BH

11. GSP

GSP 14 Pointer Staff Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    Anybody tried the neoprene divers gloves? Some guys use them while working on poles in 0 weather. They are only 3mm thick and you have good finger movement. They would work well with a release,probably would work with a tab too.

12. buckdroppings

buckdroppings 8 pointer

Nov 29, 2003
    Sligo, KY, USA.
    Does anyone have any of the Browning Hydro-fleece Professional? I have been looking at buying a 4-1 Parka and just haven't brought myself to spend the cash. I tried it on in the store and being a big and tall guy it was very comfotable on me and had lots of manoeuvreability. Any advice would be appreciated. Especially if it helps me sell it to the misses.[:D]

13. Mach1Alan

Mach1Alan Fawn

Nov 7, 2002
    Carmel, Me..
    I've had a set of Browning hydro fleece for about 5 yrs. Has held up very good and is great in the tree stand. Although for me it is a little to bulky to still hunt in. The neoprene gloves work great in foul weather, hands stay dry and warm all day long, just bought my wife a pair as a stocking stuffer. The best combo for my hands though when it is dry is a pair of contain gloves,[containclothing.com] Almost like not wearing gloves at all and are good to aboout 30 degrees. then when it gets colder I double up with a pair of cotton gloves. Then when it gets really cold I slip in a pair of hand warmers between the two gloves and am good for the day.
    Happy Hunting [:D]

14. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    I've got it solved too.... just close the windows and fire up the redi heater! [:D]

[​IMG]

6x6 floorplan, hunts 2 comfortably if you have to, all day comfort in the rain....

Built this for my dad this year to try to get one more hunt together but he passed away before we could ever get it put out.

Straight powder.......

15. mbeeler

mbeeler 6 pointer

Nov 1, 2002
    Louisville, KY.
    I cant stand to shoot my bow with gloves on... (or at least on my release hand). I usually throw a pair of hothands in my pockets and am quite comefortable. As for the rest of the body, This time of year I usually wear a set of long-johns, sweat pants & fleese shirt, light camo pants... when I get where I'm going I put on a pair of heavy snow 0 degree "breethable/windproof" pants (warm!) and carry my coat to the tree... When I get in my stand I put my coat on. I'm usually good for at least 3 hours or so unless the wind is strong. My problem is that I just wish I had something that I could put on OVER my boots (thats why I put the pants on at the truck). Hopefully Santa will bring me one of those 4 in 1 coats so I dont have to wear so much to the stand.

Marc Beeler
    - Redneck Programmer