Soil test / analysis

Discussion in 'Habitat Improvement' started by cedar ridge, Jan 10, 2020.

1. cedar ridge

cedar ridge 6 pointer

Dec 3, 2015
    South Central KY
    I’m sure it’s been posted on here before but didn’t see it when I searched. Who does everyone use for soil tests? I’m in Bowling Green / farm is in Cave City.

2. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Your county extension office

bigbonner, elmucho277 and GoneHunting like this.
  3. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    I mostly use whitetail institute, where i buy my seed. Fast turn around. Have used SS before.

4. GoneHunting

GoneHunting 6 pointer

Oct 26, 2012
    PCB Florida
    That is where Ive had mine done, great people to work with and you cant beat the price.
    Results in less than a week from UK.
    They provided me the soil probe and soil bags as well as instructions.

5. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    www.grandparayoutdoors.com

If you use them they can also give you the fertilizer recommendations for what you tell them you intend to plant in each field.

6. GoneHunting

GoneHunting 6 pointer

Oct 26, 2012
    PCB Florida
    Same as your County extension office/UK.
    Just fill out your paper work informing them of the crops you intend to plant.

EdLongshanks likes this.
  7. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    But they won't work with you to build a 3 or 5 year plan that provides the forages you want and still builds your soil. But each person has something they are looking to do different than the other and there is no one way to do it.

cedar ridge likes this.
  8. cedar ridge

cedar ridge 6 pointer

Dec 3, 2015
    South Central KY
    Thanks guys. Should have mentioned that I had considered the County extension office (and may still go that route) but was more looking for another option. These suggestions will help. Appreciate the input.

9. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
  10. cedar ridge

cedar ridge 6 pointer

Dec 3, 2015
    South Central KY
    So far, I’ve planted winter wheat, oats, Austrian winter peas, Whitetail Institute Winter Greens, red clover, white clover, ladino clover, sunflowers, iron clay peas, and buckwheat in the 5 years that I’ve been planting. I’ve had pretty decent success but I still want to know what specific needs I have in each of my 7 (and very different soil type) fields. Would like to give soybeans and alfalfa a try, potentially, but really just want to make sure my soil is as healthy as it can be.

HuntressOfLight likes this.
  11. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    Sounds nice. I put much work into my flower beds before planting, considering such to be of utmost importance. Your sunflowers, I read that nobody knows why they face east after maturity, but such is thought to be in order to avoid sun scorch. Just another intriguing mystery, I guess. Good luck with your soil tests.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    cedar ridge likes this.
  12. cedar ridge

cedar ridge 6 pointer

Dec 3, 2015
    South Central KY
    Lots of interesting info there. Had tons of them make flowers two years ago. They were beautiful and I had all kinds of birds when they went to seed. This past year I only planted them in a field or two. The deer discovered them as a delicacy and I didn’t have even one plant reach the flowering stage. Gonna try more of them this year anyway.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    HuntressOfLight likes this.