Social Media to blame for decoy shy ducks???

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by oddfellow1976, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Brsutton86

Brsutton86 12 pointer

Sep 19, 2009
    Harrodsburg, KY
    I agree with you bigpuddin on scouting. This year though is just a different story. They just aren't here. I'm covering 4 counties scouting, handful of ducks and resident geese only here. Its pathetic and frustrating. I'm good for 2 or 3 ducks at least everyday and hunt 55ish days of the 60. I think I'm at about 11 total....

2. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    Scouting is good. I watch the skies to. See wat is flying. Most Rickies don't know the difference from local birds from migraters. Most don't when to call or not to call. I have killed more ducks with my call in my pocket than blowing it. Rickies cant read Ducks. They see them and think CALL CALL CALL. Blowing them out from the area. Learn to read birds. Then you can kill more birds. Decoy placement Rickies just throw them out thinking ok all is good. Got a friend of mine here said it don't matter where you put decoys they will come in to them. WRONG. Set with the wind in places they want to be.
    Newbies D.U. and hunting shows have hurt Duck hunting.

Giveem3outdoors likes this.
  3. littletom

littletom 8 pointer

Feb 24, 2008
    Knob Lick, Ky
    Not really many ducks here to make smarter.

4. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

It only takes a few smart ones to teach the others where danger is waiting.

5. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    I’m not sure if it’s social media, but rather the natural progression of young hunters. All youngsters seem to love pulling the trigger and piling up carcasses. I was that way myself.

It isn’t until later in life that you realize the aesthetics of it all is where the joy comes from. For you boys I figure it’s the calling, seeing the birds work and then fooling them into to close range taking a few and then sending the dog in to retrieve. That’s to say nothing of the comraderie and fellowship you get with others that are like-minded.

For houndmen it’s similar - watching the hounds work, finding the game, jumping and running it and maybe shooting it, but not being too concerned if you lose it.

All that often times seems a bit trivial to a young fella just wanting to text pics or post his kills on FB. It’s hard to text how you feel when the birds work right, your young dog turns on finally or you hear whistling wings or hounds balling the jack.

6. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    The last couple years my scouting has been minimal. Got tire of working hard when we kill more birds in a week up north than all season here. This year I decided to go back to the if I am gonna spend the time hunting I might as well make it worth it. we are almost at 3 times the ducks we killed last year. Geese aren't moving here need it to get cold to force them to the fields all mine are sitting in town at the park grazing everyday. but we have had a good year on ducks I think only 6-7 skunks and had a few days with 10+ ducks. buddies son killed his first duck and his first mallard limit on the same day. That day made the season for me seeing that excitement.

7. Justduckin036

Justduckin036 Fawn

Oct 15, 2018
    Campbell County
    I kill the majority of my birds with a jerk rig string in one hand and a cup of coffee in the other that will undoubtedly either get cold before I can drink it or spill on the floor of the boat when I go to grab my gun. I’m a firm believer in a jerk rig does more on the average day to finish birds than the best calling a duck has ever heard. Last I think SWD have cause more damage to the sport than many people realize.

8. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    YES SIR!!!!! Jerk string freak here to. If I travel to hunt a jerk string goes to.

9. deerhunter24

deerhunter24 8 pointer

Mar 4, 2009
    Bracken County
    11 what

10. deerhunter24

deerhunter24 8 pointer

Mar 4, 2009
    Bracken County
    See there is ducks to be killed this season you just have to work hard and put your time in. Very proud of you. I wish I had some people to hunt hard

11. Bowfinger

Bowfinger 8 pointer

Nov 3, 2015
    In a Concrete Submarine
    I blame DU and the lies they spread

DH13 likes this.
  12. Outdoorfan

Outdoorfan 6 pointer

Dec 9, 2008
    Rowan Co.
    This is all news to me. I didn't realize ducks were even on facebook....

I think Ill friend them... Then wait in my red pickup until they check-in then I can jump out and waterswat them.

Thanks for the info!!

Marsh CallUser likes this.
  13. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY

Little late to the party. It's already been done, last season. Ducks went vampire on us after that debacle.

14. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    AMEN. Been saying that for years. Plus the work they do for their HIGHER UP MEMBERS to fix places they only they can hunt. Take money from their membership for their own use. Kind of sounds like KF&W don't it. But in the beginning D.U. was a good thing just like WTF. Getting things started. But thru the years Ducks and Turkey became more abundant. So now money is used for the higher ups for their gain.
    No problem. Glad i could help out. Get facebook and wear em out.

15. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    yall keep blaming DU and facebook. I will be cussing the cold this weekend, Killing limits and the cold has to come and lock everything up and ruin it.