So, how is everyone else's day?

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by Brown Dogs Matter, Nov 24, 2016.

1. Brown Dogs Matter

Brown Dogs Matter 12 pointer

Jun 7, 2004
    Louisville, KY.
    Yeah, sucks here.

Got up at 0315, hit the WMA parking lot at 0500. Ran into another group of hunters, who were setting up down the way from us, so that was good.

Heard them doing some wood ducks calls, they shot one volley just after light. Saw two birds escape, don't know if they put any down or not.

Nothing since then. Normally, this place is eat up with geese. They were here when I brought my son up for youth weekend. Gone now. Scouted the other day, and spooked up some green wings.

I'm so tired of duck hunting in Kentucky. When I retire, we may stay in the state (for a variety of reasons), but I'm heading west. That way, I can find something with an hour drive that actually has birds.

2. Rod S.

Rod S. 8 pointer

Oct 20, 2004
    Pewee Valley, Ky.
    Fine here, got up fixed some country ham n biscuits, & looking forward to a great day with family. Trailer loaded & leaving early in the morning. wprebeck maybe you & your son could come to Ark. sometime for several days & who knows we might shoot a bird or 2.

3. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    Purty slow at my spot... We had gadwall that did not read the rules on duck behavior as it relates to wind... Tried a long upwind shot and called it a day.

4. Brown Dogs Matter

Jun 7, 2004
    Louisville, KY.
    I'm not very hopeful as to the rest if the season at the spot I hunt. But...since goose runs til mid-February, we "might" be ok.

The dang birds left last year, and didn't come back until February. This far, theyre following the same pattern. I'm hoping we surprise them come February, and blast a few when theu come back.

In the meantime, if anyone has a spot at a lease for two guys who love to duck hunt...let me know. I'm still looking for a place within an hour to and hour and a half from Louisville.

5. uplandchessies

uplandchessies 10 pointer

Mar 20, 2002
    Florence, Ky, USA.
    Didn't see a duck or goose. Back to woodcock and maybe some dove rest of weekend.

6. B.M. Barrelcooker

B.M. Barrelcooker 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2006
    Aintry,Ky
    Wprebeck the optimist.

First duck of the season was a banded greenhead shot by my son.

Looking forward to the rest of this season !!!

7. bmason

bmason 6 pointer

Mar 31, 2006
    I went to a public wma walked .75 ml one way... got my spot. At 6:30am a fella came rolling in on a 4 wheeler and set up 100 yards away. That just makes me mad.

We killed several.

8. Brsutton86

Brsutton86 12 pointer

Sep 19, 2009
    Harrodsburg, KY
    No birds for me, but it still felt good to be back out.

Brown Dogs Matter likes this.
  9. Rob DeHaven

Rob DeHaven 10 pointer

Apr 19, 2006
    on the road
    Took 2 guys who had never duck hunted. Not a lot of birds but didn't get skunked. I still wish for times of years ago but hope for the turnaround. Come on old man winter and work your magic. Congrats to your boy BM.

10. Brown Dogs Matter

Jun 7, 2004
    Louisville, KY.
    I'd have been on the phone, trying to find the conservation officer. Isn't ATV use in a WMA prohibited, and aren't groups if hunters supposed to be 200 yards away?

11. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Had a pretty good opener. 2 mallard limits and a couple ringers. Geese were a no show, which was a surprise. Didn't have the blind brushed enough either. Got busted by several birds

12. bmason

bmason 6 pointer

Mar 31, 2006
    I wanted to call. No Service... There may be a permit for ATV use due to disability?
    yes 200yds is right. It's frustrating.

13. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    Y'all had a good hunt

14. B.M. Barrelcooker

B.M. Barrelcooker 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2006
    Aintry,Ky
    Every hunt is a good hunt man.............even when you break stuff.

Capttrae and Rob DeHaven like this.