So close, but not close enough

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by Velvet ears, Oct 4, 2021.

1. Velvet ears

Velvet ears 8 pointer

Nov 6, 2013
    West KY
    My minnie me won a crossbow in a spring turkey contest. He's gotten pretty consistent with it out to about 40 yards (3" group). It's been a learning experience for the both of us. I've never had a crossbow. We've had a group of gobblers and hens crossing into our bean field for the past 3 weeks. So, we decided to set up on them opening Friday. No luck. They came out about 80 yards down from us. Saturday we moved the blind 60 yards down, we didn't see a single bird. Sunday, they came out further down and went into the beans. We sat for about 2 hours and here they came back. I thought they were going to cross 20 yards in front of us, but they turned and were headed back to were they originally came out earlier that day. 3 gobblers were coming across at an angle and were about 40 yards in the cow pasture. I told minnie me to get on one and let it fly. He shot, the bird's wings flopped 2 times and then they slowly walked off into the woods. I couldn't see the bolt, but I assume he shot over it after stepping it off at about 35 yards. I'm still looking for the bolt. I see buying him a range finder in my future.

2. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Keep after them. Hope you get one

3. Ezelkyhunter

Ezelkyhunter 10 pointer

Nov 28, 2013
    Are you sure he missed?

I’ve shot turkeys with a bow and cross bow and had them run off and fly off and walk off acting unhurt to then pile up.

hope he gets another chance soon

xbokilla likes this.
  4. Velvet ears

Velvet ears 8 pointer

Nov 6, 2013
    West KY
    Yea, he missed. He was close enough it spooked the bird, but he didn't show any signs of being hit.

5. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

20 feet away before they saw my Geo Metro.
    @luvtohunt you know where this is.

RLWEBB, bondhu and Feedman like this.
  6. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 10 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    Yessir I do!! Hope they stay around. By spring they will be 2 year olds.

7. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    JR you aint puttin enough corn out them 2 look poorly.

JR in KY likes this.
  8. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Bantams

bondhu likes this.
  9. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    Last winter I had 14 Gobblers (until the season started). They disappeared early, I think mated early. No one shot any of them but I have been seeing 8 this fall. Turkey numbers are definitely in decline; we had Zero acorns last year and the Squirrels are MIA now.

Feedman likes this.
  10. Kylongrifle32

Kylongrifle32 6 pointer

Jan 13, 2019
    Owen co.
    Keep him after them. Its good that they learn true hunting tactics. Not every outing do you come home with what you started out to get.

11. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Saw a group of 12 turkeys an then another group of 3 an finally a group of 14 to 16.
    They were put today with the rain