So between work on the kitchen

Drahts

12 pointer
Apr 7, 2015
KY
My two buddies I've hunted with for 40 years + came in Thursday to turkey hunt. Birds had gone kinda quiet last 2-3 days. Friday we all piled into the same blind. Only heard one bird WAY off and he didn't want to play, so it was bust of a morning. Came back and did some work on the kitchen and went back out that evening with no luck.

So yesterday, I took Pete out and sent Larry to the other half of the farm. Pete and I didn't hear a bird all morning. But we were patient and eventually I called in a hen, she'd feed in and out of the setup for like 45 minutes, every time she'd go out of sight I'd call again and she'd reappear but she really didn't mess with the dekes at all, she just kind of circled em feeding. Eventually another single hen came in and she came to the dekes, pecked the hen a bit, fussed a bit at her (she be the boss hen I'd guess), and then here came the deer. They fed in the food plot for about 20 minutes, that hen was in the decoys the whole time. Deer finally came our way and couldn't figure out why them turkeys weren't moving. They were weaving and bobbing their heads like a couple of confused 3 yr old children. Anyhow I told Pete that hen fussing is the best thing for us since I didn't want to call with her at 15yds. Bout that time I saw 2 gobblers come out at the end of the field. They came to the dekes and the one did it good, circled Jake from State Farm a couple times, craned his neck and Pete graveyarded him. 20# 10 3/4" beard, 1 inch spurs. Those birds never said a word all morning. Pete's bird had a really dark coloration to his tail. I hadn't seen that much in the the birds around here.

Larry hadn't had any luck so after a late breakfast we headed back across the road. Took a bit but eventually got a bird to gobble. We made a setup on a overgrown field edge and started calling. A Bird we didn't know was around responded and played cat and mouse with us for 40 minutes. It didn't want to commit and finally I laid eyes on him and thru the binos I could see it was a Jake. He worked away from us and we made a slight move. Hit the call and got a response from WAY off. Made an approach and finally got the bird responding. I liked the setup and didn't want to move, though we were a long ways from the bird, but I decided to be patient and trust the setup. The bird kept responding from the same position but was gobbling only to excited loud calling. Bird made a move and sounded like he was headed towards a field I have a blind in. We made another move, a mad dash to the field, I have a blind there so I popped out Jake from State Farm and hit him with some calling. Dang bird swung back thru the area of our original setup (not unusual, happens when you don't trust your plan!) and started our way. He took his good sweet time but he'd respond if I got hard and loud. Finally he hit the chute in the creek bottom and I told Larry he was a dead turkey. Bout 100 yrs out he and his buddy let out a double gobble. Called softly to em and they responded again and I put my call away. These SOB's gobble next and they are on the hump that leads behind the blind. So I made one more call and they dumped off that hill back into the chute and in view. The strutter came to about 38 and they were gonna give us the show but they were taking so long to move 5 yds, Larry said screw it and the next time he raised his head he dumped him. 21.12# 10 1/2" beard 1 1/8" spurs.

It was a good day. So that closes out the hunting on the farm. Gotta leave something for seed! I'm off to public later this week to see if I can tag out.

IMG_3111.jpg
IMG_3112.jpg

carnivore

12 pointer
Nov 17, 2007
Ky
My two buddies I've hunted with for 40 years + came in Thursday to turkey hunt. Birds had gone kinda quiet last 2-3 days. Friday we all piled into the same blind. Only heard one bird WAY off and he didn't want to play, so it was bust of a morning. Came back and did some work on the kitchen and went back out that evening with no luck.

So yesterday, I took Pete out and sent Larry to the other half of the farm. Pete and I didn't hear a bird all morning. But we were patient and eventually I called in a hen, she'd feed in and out of the setup for like 45 minutes, every time she'd go out of sight I'd call again and she'd reappear but she really didn't mess with the dekes at all, she just kind of circled em feeding. Eventually another single hen came in and she came to the dekes, pecked the hen a bit, fussed a bit at her (she be the boss hen I'd guess), and then here came the deer. They fed in the food plot for about 20 minutes, that hen was in the decoys the whole time. Deer finally came our way and couldn't figure out why them turkeys weren't moving. They were weaving and bobbing their heads like a couple of confused 3 yr old children. Anyhow I told Pete that hen fussing is the best thing for us since I didn't want to call with her at 15yds. Bout that time I saw 2 gobblers come out at the end of the field. They came to the dekes and the one did it good, circled Jake from State Farm a couple times, craned his neck and Pete graveyarded him. 20# 10 3/4" beard, 1 inch spurs. Those birds never said a word all morning. Pete's bird had a really dark coloration to his tail. I hadn't seen that much in the the birds around here.

Larry hadn't had any luck so after a late breakfast we headed back across the road. Took a bit but eventually got a bird to gobble. We made a setup on a overgrown field edge and started calling. A Bird we didn't know was around responded and played cat and mouse with us for 40 minutes. It didn't want to commit and finally I laid eyes on him and thru the binos I could see it was a Jake. He worked away from us and we made a slight move. Hit the call and got a response from WAY off. Made an approach and finally got the bird responding. I liked the setup and didn't want to move, though we were a long ways from the bird, but I decided to be patient and trust the setup. The bird kept responding from the same position but was gobbling only to excited loud calling. Bird made a move and sounded like he was headed towards a field I have a blind in. We made another move, a mad dash to the field, I have a blind there so I popped out Jake from State Farm and hit him with some calling. Dang bird swung back thru the area of our original setup (not unusual, happens when you don't trust your plan!) and started our way. He took his good sweet time but he'd respond if I got hard and loud. Finally he hit the chute in the creek bottom and I told Larry he was a dead turkey. Bout 100 yrs out he and his buddy let out a double gobble. Called softly to em and they responded again and I put my call away. These SOB's gobble next and they are on the hump that leads behind the blind. So I made one more call and they dumped off that hill back into the chute and in view. The strutter came to about 38 and they were gonna give us the show but they were taking so long to move 5 yds, Larry said screw it and the next time he raised his head he dumped him. 21.12# 10 1/2" beard 1 1/8" spurs.

It was a good day. So that closes out the hunting on the farm. Gotta leave something for seed! I'm off to public later this week to see if I can tag out.

View attachment 100272 View attachment 100273
Thanks for telling the story!

Bee

10 pointer
Mar 14, 2005
The black tail fan band is like one we killed last year , except it had solid black wings as well...no white barring. Never seen that before any where

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky
Congratulations on a successful guided hunt. I never stop hunting for lunch, glad it worked out.

Ive only killed a bird or two in blue jeans. Never in a white tee. That’s impressive.

Latest posts