So about this Belk bowl

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by drakeshooter, Dec 9, 2019.

1. timer

timer 10 pointer

Feb 20, 2013
    La Grange
    If it is about big time college athletics, it's always about the $$$.

The colleges don't get to "choose" for the second tier bowls (Belk, Gator, Liberty, Music City) - and conference wins really don't mean anything if you qualify for one of the four bowls . It's all about money. And it's more like they bid. Fulmer at Tennessee gave some sort of financial commitment to the Gator bowl that pushed KY aside. He was desperate to make his hire look successful and going to the Gator bowl (a more prestigious bowl in the eyes of TN fans) helps make his case.

littlebear likes this.
  2. Just a little tidbit of information about Virginia Tech head coach Justin Fuente. He was one of the best QBs we’ve ever had down here in Murray and he’s the second straight Hokie head coach with Racer ties. Frank Beamer started his head coaching career here in Murray in the 80s.

RLWEBB and timer like this.
  3. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    Didn’t know this info. Always liked Beamer. Thanks for enlightening us.

4. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Looks like Dean Hood is going to be Murrays next head football coach

drakeshooter likes this.
  5. Timholt70

Timholt70 Spike

Oct 25, 2019
    Christian county
    Agree

6. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    I love Beamer. I have family that played on his national championship team with mike Vick. I’m a big fan. Phenomenal coach. The family member I speak of lives in Charlotte. Might have to make a road trip just for s’s and g’s. This game doesn’t matter anyways. It’s basketball season people. Get it together.

muddhunter and RLWEBB like this.
  7. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Murray States Athletics has some pretty strong ties to UK right now.

Our AD is Kevin Saul who was an assistant AD at UK prior. Then we have Scott Barnhart who Saul hired as an assistant AD.... who is Mitch Barnhart's son.

Which I’ve met with both several times and will say Scott is a heck of a nice guy.

Feedman likes this.
  8. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    I'll be watching it, but I'm not really sure why.....It has nothing to do with next season, and a loss or win won't kill or make either team. I guess after so many dismal years of KY football, it's nice to see them playing in the post season again.

JR PORTER, Bee and timer like this.
  9. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    The way I heard it was the the teams were initially assigned to the bowls by the SEC (which is why it was announced the way it was). But then UT balked for whatever reason and instituted their veto power they had due to the head to head record to make the switch. That then caused the SEC to go back to the drawing board and reassign the rest because UK was "ineligible" to play in the Music City Bowl this soon, which is why they didn't just switch UT and UK.

10. I forgot about Hokie Defensive Coordinator Bud Foster, who also started his career as both a player and coach at Murray, until they mentioned his name. He was with Beamer for a long time as both a player and assistant. Strong ties between VT football and Murray State.

Looks like it’s gonna be a good ballgame so far, lots of big hits.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
  11. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Bowden nearly didn't get to play. He started jawing with a VT player and took a swing at one of them.
    During warm up.

drakeshooter likes this.
  12. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    Bud Foster is a heck of a coach. Always liked him.

drakeshooter likes this.
  13. Best college game I watched all year long!

JR PORTER likes this.
  14. Timholt70

Timholt70 Spike

Oct 25, 2019
    Christian county
    Great game!go cats!that's how you end a season!

JR PORTER likes this.
  15. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    Yes! Great win for the CATS! I was telling my wife during that last drive that the game was setting up to be a legendary UK victory. And it was. GO CATS!!!

JR PORTER and drakeshooter like this.