So about this Belk bowl

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by drakeshooter, Dec 9, 2019.

1. What are you Cat fans thoughts?

2. JR PORTER

JR PORTER 8 pointer

May 1, 2014
    KNOTT CO. KY
  3. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    75F65D5F-0AD2-4BBE-8693-7ABAC542EE05.jpeg I expect it’s a critter looks something like this?

Brody, EdLongshanks, Feedman and 2 others like this.
  4. Timholt70

Timholt70 Spike

Oct 25, 2019
    Christian county
    Better then not playing in a bowl and having a losing season.go cats!

FOWLER2671 likes this.
  5. Bee

Bee 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    I wonder if Kiffen at Ole Miss will hire Eddie Gran , who was one of Kiffen's first hires at UT. Many UK fans would not be opposed to that I suspect, as he sees to be the lightning rod of blame on UK's losses.

6. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    "Meh" on the both the bowl and the opponent. My excitement about it dropped from like a 9 to a 2 when I saw they didn't get Indiana in a bowl like I was pulling for and was first reported.

Unless something spectacular happens in the game, a year or so later, everyone is going to have forgotten about it. But if we played Indiana, win or lose, it would've been remembered.

EdLongshanks and muddhunter like this.
  7. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    rush, ky, USA.
    Most people have already forgotten it ... Wait ,what was we talking about ??

8. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Do you think that Gran will get Kiffens old Job at Florida Atlantic

EdLongshanks likes this.
  9. 300winmag

300winmag 12 pointer

Sep 1, 2009
    Taylorsville
    It was out of their hands, the loss to UT gave them the choice of bowls so they chose the Gator Bowl Pretty simple, handle your business during the season and you have more control.

EdLongshanks likes this.
  10. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 12 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    The first bowl they were place was against Indiana then it was flipped to the Belk bowl at Charlotte against Virginia tech. Why did this happen

11. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    Listening to KSR radio show and they stated the Belk bowl pays the school over a million dollar more. I was surprised by that. Gator was I think $3 million or so and Belk was $4 million

12. timer

timer 10 pointer

Feb 20, 2013
    La Grange
    Couple of things....First, the athletic department gets to subtract expenses from the $4MM. This allows them to send a ton of people to the game - all expenses paid. Most of the time, very little is actually left over. Second, any that is left over is shared with the SEC and the SEC divides up the money and splits it among the member universities. Now some of the bowl games pay a huge amount to the SEC schools that participate, but I've never seen a report that shows how much - if any - gets shared by the schools back to the SEC.

Finally, most major bowls require that participating schools sell a certain amount of tickets. Not sure how many you have to sell as a participant in the Belk bowl, but if you don't sell all you are supposed to, the school has to pay the bowl a penalty for each ticket not sold. So, for example, if a school is required to sell 20,000 tickets and they only sell 10,000, and the penalty is $50/ticket, the school would owe the Belk bowl $500,000.

IMHO, both bowls screwed-up. KY - IN would have been a big time game and would have sold out. Not sure TN - IN will be as big a draw. And I believe TN - VA Tech would have been a bigger draw - in Charlotte - than UK - VA Tech.

FOWLER2671 likes this.
  13. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    Agree Indiana-Ky would be better game. All those expenses you stated and shares of money would be basically the same for either game. That don’t change the extra million or so for the Belk bowl game pays compared to Gator bowl

14. Bee

Bee 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    Tenn had finished higher in the SEC east and had beaten Ky regular season and had first choice. Tenn with first choice took Gator/Taxslayer bowl. Ky took next one down in priority which was Belk. DO all the $ math you want but thats the way it worked.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    Timholt70 and littlebear like this.