Snake stories??? Or assorted varmint stories gone wrong?

NitroHunter

6 pointer
Jan 20, 2002
Jeremiah, Kentucky.
A few years ago I was digging ginseng and stepped over a log and stepped on the tail of the biggest copperhead I've ever saw. He was stretched out in the sun, I have no idea why he didn't strike me, but it scared me so bad that it got away.
I flattened a two footers head today that was under some lumber I was moving..... just can't let something live that could end up biting a child!

TripleGee

12 pointer
Sep 13, 2003
Somerset
Amen to that last one. 20 years ago, when my nephew Will was 3, he was at the babysitters and in the back yard with some other kids. They found some "worms" around an old stump and started playing with them. Well, they were baby Copperheads and one bit Will on his hand and ankle. Of course he was admitted to the hospital as his entire right side swelled up. Well, as one of the nurses came in to work on him, she had to redress his bandages which caused extreme pain to him. He kept telling her: "Top it, top it, ooo Bit, ooo bit!!! (Stop it you bitch!) Well, we were floored and remembered that he had spent the past weekend with his father due to visitation rights. I KNEW he didn't pick that up off me or his mother. We were embarrassed to high heaven over that one. My sister was a good soul as she didn't kill the babysitter for not watching the kids out in the back yard. If momma Copperhead had popped Will, it could have been much worse even though I've heard that baby ones pack a powerful punch also.

It was really pretty hilarious to see our faces turn scarlet red and the way Will said those words through his early speach impediment. I had one also at that age.

Last edited:

JonDunn

10 pointer
Dec 26, 2005
Up the holler
Amen to that last one. 20 years ago, when my nephew Will was 3, he was at the babysitters and in the back yard with some other kids. They found some "worms" around an old stump and started playing with them. Well, they were baby Copperheads and one bit Will on his hand and ankle. Of course he was admitted to the hospital as his entire right side swelled up. Well, as one of the nurses came in to work on him, she had to redress his bandages which caused extreme pain to him. He kept telling her: "Top it, top it, ooo Bit, ooo bit!!! (Stop it you bitch!) Well, we were floored and remembered that he had spent the past weekend with his father due to visitation rights. I KNEW he didn't pick that up off me or his mother. We were embarrassed to high heaven over that one. My sister was a good soul as she didn't kill the babysitter for not watching the kids out in the back yard. If momma Copperhead had popped Will, it could have been much worse even though I've heard that baby ones pack a powerful punch also.

It was really pretty hilarious to see our faces turn scarlet red and the way Will said those words through his early speach impediment. I had one also at that age.

I've always heard baby ones have a more powerful punch because they aren't sure when to let go.

livetohunt

Fawn
Apr 24, 2012
20+ years ago, I went deer scouting one late July morning in Butler County. I didn't tell anyone where I was going, just decided spur of the moment to look at this farm I had gotten permission to hunt. I was walking up a ridge, and stepped over a log across the trail. When my foot landed, it was like someone hit me with a heavy switch in the lower leg. I was like, "what in the world?" Then I heard a rustle in the leaf litter, and saw the copperhead crawling off. I about $hat myself. I sat down, yanked up my pants leg, and looked for what seemed like 10 minutes for bite marks in my calf. It hit my boot, not my leg. I sat there for a long time to collect myself. Even though copperhead bites are nearly never fatal, I was at least a mile from the truck, and nobody knew where I was. That was before cell phones were common place, not that I would have had service where I was. It could have just as easily been a rattler, and hit me 2" higher. Could have been very bad. I learned my lesson. I don't go anywhere without telling someone where I'm going, and how long I plan to be gone. I also never leave home without a phone.

corndogggy

12 pointer
Jul 20, 2005
I was kayaking in Metropolis Lake near the west KY WMA once right after a rain on a hot night. It started to get dark and the cool air combined with the warm water started to let off some MAJOR steam in a hurry. Got to where I couldn't see past 10 feet in front of me, was very disorienting. Everything got real quiet too, real spooky. I was paddling underneath the cypress trees then had this thought, that maybe a snake was up in those trees and could drop on me. For some reason I got kind of wigged out about the thought and was scanning the branches above me. So I put my right paddle into the water, with my left hand and paddle up in the air, then, BLOOOSH!!!!! Something huge and slimy literally jumped over my lap and slid across my knuckles. I about flipped my lid, but it ended up being one of those chinese jumping carp. "Carp" wasn't really what I was thinking when it was sliding across the back of my hand.

raidergson

10 pointer
Dec 10, 2010
Garrard County
I got the mother of all snake stories.People I tell just look at me funny,like Im telling a lie
.Im pretty sure he was a python or a boa constrictor that was somebodies pet that had been turned loose.I think he had been waiting for a deer to come along that trail and he was going to smash and smother it againest the tree.I didnt follow him down the bank,I got out of there.Also I didnt do any hunting there anymore unless it was very cold outside......

I think I have a story sort of like yours. When I was around 10 (mid-eighties) or so living in the suburban Lexington outskirts, I saw a snake that I cannot explain to this day. We backed up to a old cattle farm near the Hickman creek loaded with great rabbit thickets and woodlots. For years we would throw our leaves and extra spring grass cuttings in one of the thickets. For a little boy, that pile became a great place to find worms or use as a landing cushion for a rope swing fixed on an overhanging limb. One day my best friend and I were swinging on the rope. I went first and when I fell into the pile, It felt like I landed on tire, something strange, or my friend, but he was standing next to the pile. When I stood up, I quickly grabbed a few huge armful of the spoil, and I saw a three foot section of a snake that was also the size of a coffee can. He was tan and brown patterned. To this day, I can still see a short clip of terror in my head of that snake body slowly moving, right next to my feet. My buddy saw it also. I can't remember running to my house because we both ran so fast. We told our parents. Dad took the .22 and fired at the pile no less than 40 times when he came home from work because he trusted me in knowing the difference between garter snakes, cow suckers, water snakes and coffee can snakes. For three years after that I never walked past the pile, but I would run when going that way. As word spread, some of the other kids informed me that a man a few blocks away owned a pet Boa. Dad went to his house to ask, but the man said that he did not know remotely what he was talking about and said, "Well you know the stories kids tell." Who knows, but I know what I fell on and what I saw.

Manhattan

8 pointer
Jan 11, 2011
Grayson KY.
Here is a snake story that is tough to choke down...But it is true..I was a young fellow about 12 or 13 and my game was to shoot targets and such along the railroad tracks behind my house with my 410 shotgun. we walked to an area called Jett behind the old Lowes store and came upon a snake that was across the the tracks it's head and tail were across were in the vines on both sides of the tracks.I would say it was in the neighborhood of 15 feet long and as big around as a fence post....True story

Austin Streicher

6 pointer
Oct 5, 2010
Fisherville
When i was 7 or 8 Dad and I were walkin through the woods by our house and as we were walking i remember gettin hit on the head looked back and nothing was there, i was like hmm thats weird. Walked about another 25 yards when i felt somethin slithering down my back, I grabbed my back still with the shirt on and i felt the shape of the snake and flipped! Remember i was 7 or 8 so im just spazzing out in the middle of the woods Dad is laughin his ass off! I finally took my shirt off and he flew off, turned out too be a little foot long garden snake :cool: HAHA i went nuts for that little thing but man you just never know!

KY_Fried

12 pointer
Nov 13, 2003
Foster, KY, USA.
When I was around 7/8ish I went for a walk with my and and when I was crawling under an electric fence a tiny little garter snake crawled by me and I freaked out and ended up getting caught up in the fence. When my dad was able to stop laughing he got me out. He teased me about that for years. I even remember a few days later he came home from work and told me he brought me home something and to go get it out of his lunchbox. You guessed it, another little garter snake and I screamed like a little girl again.
I'm not the least bit afraid of snakes anymore but for some reason they terrified me when I was a kid, much to my dad's delight. I miss those days.

GrouseAssasin

12 pointer
Aug 1, 2009
Jackson, ky
On a side note, whats happened to all the little green snakes that used to be around when i was a kid. When I was real little there used to be one that stayed in my grandmas apple trees and blackberry bushes in the back yard. Stayed there for several years. I havn't seen one in forever. Are they dying out or something else happening. I work out in the woods every day and I can't remember the last time I saw a green snake.

I just remembered something else that happened back when I was in high-school. It was quicker for me to ride my 4-wheeler through the hills to my girlfriends house than to drive my truck through town. I took off one day and came to a spot in the trail flanked by briar bushes on both sides. The path was plenty wide enough to ride through with a little room on either side to stay out of the bushes. There was a rattlesnake stretched across the trail, I couldn't see its head or tail. It was as big around as my bicep. I could see probably 4.5-5' of just body. I thought about running over it, then I figured it would whip around out of the bushes and nail. I spun around and flew about a half mile back to the house, grabbed a shotgun and strapped it in, and flew back to the briars. Snake was gone. I put several rounds into each side of the trail, never could see any movement or get it to rattle and I wasn't about to wade in after it. Its the biggest snake I've ever seen in person other than a python. Needless to say from then on when I came through there I didnt stop for a pee break till I got out to a more open area.

Last edited:

TripleGee

12 pointer
Sep 13, 2003
Somerset
I saw a real good sized green snake on the road down to Pulaski County Park. It was in the road and I tried to swerve to miss it, but the dang thing sped up and I caught some part of it as it was writhing real bad after I passed. I turned around and went back and it was gone. Hope it survived.

Jimmie in Ky

12 pointer
Nov 28, 2003
Mayfield, Kentucky, USA.
Grouseassasin, I see one on occasion here. None are the same size either so there are more than a few here. Same with garter snakes and king snakes. I tend to train my dogs to look for boogers so they find quite a few snakes for me to look at each year. They even give the terrapins fits from time to time. ;-) Jimmie

HUNTINGMAN

12 pointer
Nov 7, 2008
Harrodsburg KY
A few years ago I was comeing out of the woods after turkey hunting. I was walking down a logging road that was realy rocky with ledges on one side and a drop on the other,it was running down the side of a steep hill and was the primary road up to the woods. I got to a spot that had an old pile of wood on the downhill side,my cousin told me his brother killed a huge rattler there years before so I always keep an eye out in that spot. I got to it and was looking it over, I just so happend to look down at where I was going to step and there was about a 1 1/2 ' copperhead directly under my foot. I jumped before I put my foot on it and it seems like I got to the bottom of the hill in a single bound. After that I went and bought a pair of snake boots to wear anytime I went to the farm for anything. There always killing rattlers and copperheads down there so I know there thick,since then they have gotten cows back on the farm and it has helped lean it up some. My snake boots have since then bit the dust and I just wear my muck boots hunting and my leather work boots while doing other things,I have learned to be very cautios. Just the other day I was fishing from the boat and cast my jig into a low over hanging limb. When I got almost there to untangle the jig I was reaching down and about to grab it,there was a snake fall off the limb and into the water. It didn't bother me but scared the wife some.