Snake stories??? Or assorted varmint stories gone wrong?

TripleGee

12 pointer
Sep 13, 2003
Somerset
After seeing Pentail's picture of the large Copperhead on the Fishin' Forum, I thought about my own experiences with snakes and thought others out there would probably be as blessed as me to come out on the wrong of encounters with snakes. Not necessarily bitten, but scared school-girl silly.

Mine happened at The Outdoorsman Club Lake a long time ago. Me and my bud Danny were fishing in his Bass Scamper plastic pontoon boat one day in April when we trolled on over to talk to an older gentleman who was cutting wood on the edge of the lake. We were talking and the old man said: "look at that Copperhead in the water headed for your boat". I looked and sure enough there was a large snake headed our way. I thought it was one of those banded water snakes, but this thing was huge. Thinking it would swim around our boat, I wasn't particularly worried however, it came right at ME. I thought, I'll be a big man and kill it with the paddle. I lifted the paddle over my head and slammed it down hard on the snake in a giant splash of snake, paddle and water. I picked the paddle up and the snake was gone! Not entirely. The snake had coiled itself around the paddle which I still held in my hands! I was looking eye to eye with that snake and its' triangular coppery head. After my rude greeting, that snake was now open for business!

Later, I was told the following happened by my inconsiderate friend Danny: I started screaming incoherently in a high pitched voice all the while slamming the paddle and snake repeatedly down into the water. After about 5 or 6 slaps with the paddle, the snake went straight up into the air and landed in the boat. Luckily, it landed with it's tail hitting the boat and its' head hitting the water. It slithered back into the lake and swam off like nothing ever happened. I was shaking so badly and trembling while Danny and that old man were laughing their fool heads off! I have a few other encounters, but this one was the funniest except, not to me. It was definitely a Copperhead and I have been plumb skittish about snakes ever since. Scared the shat out of me for days.

So, let's hear your stories about snakes or even other varmints.

DRS

Banned
Mar 3, 2010
Kentucky
While Squirrel Hunting once, I had a large 5' long King Snake lie right next to me, for warmth. Just happen to look down, at my leftside, and there he was!!:eek: I "shooed" him off, but he seemed not to like my actions, as he turned around and raised his head toward me, like he was giving me a dirty look before he slithered off. :D This morning, while on my morning walk; I saw a large Spider the size of a Silver Dollar on the road. NEAT!!:cool: Lots of critters out & about this time of the year.:)

BadDuck

12 pointer
Aug 13, 2007
Bullitt County
While Squirrel Hunting once, I had a large 5' long King Snake lie right next to me, for warmth. Just happen to look down, at my leftside, and there he was!!:eek: I "shooed" him off, but he seemed not to like my actions, as he turned around and raised his head toward me, like he was giving me a dirty look before he slithered off. :D This morning, while on my morning walk; I saw a large Spider the size of a Silver Dollar on the road. NEAT!!:cool: Lots of critters out & about this time of the year.:)

Snakes dont bother me as much, I leave them alone except for the venomous ones. Spiders on the other hand, I hate!

15 years ago or longer a buddy and I were fishing on KY lake. We had just watched a nice size cottnomouth swim around a boat tied to a dock and disappear. Firgured he was somewhere in the dock. Well wouldnt you know it, I got hung up on that dock. I know the snake is there so I am treadly very carefully, with one foot on the dock and one on the boat. My buddy thought it would be a good idea to put a 10" culprit worm on and flip it up onto my shoulder. Needless to say I reached my highest verticle ever. I dont think I have ever moved that much that fast or screamed that loud!

Last edited:

Jimmie in Ky

12 pointer
Nov 28, 2003
Mayfield, Kentucky, USA.
Took a fellow bowfishing once down on Big Turner lake in hte Ballard Co. game refuge. We had a great morning with lots of shots and a few fish in the boat. He made one of his many misses for his first time out and laid down on the front deck to retrieve and arrow burried in the mud. I am sure some of you know exactly where we were when I mention that vine covered island on the west side of the lake. I had seen a mid sized water mocassin just minutes before go up under the honey suckle near where he was. I told him to keep and eye out for it.

Next thing I know , he is nearly in my lap! I didn't know anyone could cover 14 ft of boat that fast. I had no idea he had such a fear of snakes.

I have a lot of fun tales from my adventures around western Ky lakes. I wish I had videos of all of them. Jimmie

BR1

8 pointer
Apr 8, 2012
I was squirrell hunting in the river bottoms one August afternoon. I'd been easing along looking in the tree tops not paying much attention to where I was stepping. I had on my Chuck Taylor low cut basketball shoes for comfort and as I stood on some dried limbs that had been washed up due to the backwater, I looked down. There was a Copperhead laying stretched out right at the toe of my shoe.It was getting dark in the woods and I couldn't tell which end the head was on, so I just shot him in two and high tailed it for the edge of the woods where I could see day light. That was the last time I wore the Chuck Taylor's squirrell hunting.

Brit's and Birds

10 pointer
Nov 24, 2008
Oldham County
About 15 years ago I was fishing with some friends on a big creek near Bernheim forest. We were fishing on an embankment that was about 5 feet above the water. I ended up getting snagged under a rock only a foot or two off shore and climbed down to unhook the line. Somehow we hadnt noticed him, but my friend started shouting that there was a copperhead on the rock directly behind my rear as I was squatted down to free the line. I turned around to see not a copperhead, but a 4 foot timber rattlesnake looking directly at the seat of my pants from about a foot and a half away. Needless to say, I somehow cleared the 5 foot embankment in a single leap, even landing on my feet. After my nerves calmed down, we tried to have some fun by throwing little bluegill we caught under his nose in hopes of a show, but I guess he was not hungry as he slithered down the bank a few minutes later.

I also went to mow the grass a few years ago. I pulled to mower out of my shed and started pushing it to the front of the house. Felt something on my hand and looked down to see a black widow about the size of a nickel on my thumb. I screamed like a girl and danced around the yard shaking him off, then stomped through the yard hoping to kill him. Also watched my hand for a day or two as their bites are often painless. I am much more freaked out by spiders than snakes. I will leave a venomous snake be unless its a threat, and usually try to catch non-venomous. Spiders on the other hand get an immediate 187 if they are in the house, shed, car, porch, etc.

Coot_Meurer

10 pointer
Nov 4, 2006
Not here anymore
I moved up here from Mississippi and have had many many run-ins with Cottonmouth's (not the big ol' watersnakes that everyone calls water mocassins).

Twice I have been struck, twice I have been saved by Lacrosse Rubber boots. With that said, and "knowing" that rubber boots will stop a snake bite, I really am not that afraid of them. First time, pure brain fart, kept a canoe overturned on a pond dam that I fished almost daily (right out the back door). Went out one night, didn't look, just flipped the canoe, and out came a little 4 footer that hit me just above the ankle. I returned the favor with a canoe paddle, breaking the paddle (and snake) in half. That one had my heart racing.

Second time was out fishing some semi-flooded backwaters and tearing up the white perch (crappie). Stepped up on a little dry spot, not much bigger than a floor mat. Snake was already there, and started repeatedly hitting (because I was standing on him). I jumped off (levitation might be more descriptive) and went north and the snake went south.

Also have been bit twice by black widows and really am not afraid of them.

HOWEVER - show me a hornet or paper wasp and I will run away squealing like a little girl. I would run into traffic to get away from hornets. Every time I get stung my reaction gets worse. I will probably have to start carrying an EPI-Pen before long.

ceg4uk

8 pointer
Oct 31, 2006
Sloughs WMA
While catching bait with a cast net from the beach, do not attempt to hand-feed greater snowy egrets (regardless of the number of beers you have ingested during the day) because they just might get excited and mistake your finger for the bait fish. Did you know that their bills are serrated just like a set of Ginsu steak knives and can nearly sever a finger? Just sayin...

8&sand

12 pointer
Nov 21, 2008
Louisville / Eastwood, KY
This was my most recent from a couple years ago). We were equally surprised. Sorry for the crappy pic. I had a old flip phone at the time...

http://www.kentuckyhunting.net/foru...Nose-with-a-black-snake&highlight=black+snake

snake.jpg

Last edited:

Cornpile

12 pointer
Dec 1, 2006
Kornfield County,KY
I got the mother of all snake stories.People I tell just look at me funny,like Im telling a lie
or making it up.Let me tell you first hand,this is the truth....My Grandmas old farm lays along a
big holler that swings down to the river.If you cross the holler,there is a nice flat area with oaks overlooking the river cliff.I loved to bowhunt this area and planned a October evening bowhunt.A old deer trail wounds around the holler to the head of the draw as it comes to a field.The trail was about half way up the side and was easy to walk all the way aound to the flat oak area.I dropped over the hill into the woods and got on the trail and started toward the far end.I had done this many years treerat hunting,deer hunting,and just
hanging out in the woods.I knew this trail and surroundings like the back of my hand.I had gone maybe 75 yds and I see this log laying up and down the hill across the trail.I stopped maybe 25 yds of reaching it as it looked strange to me,the color was a pattern of brown diamond shapes.This puzzled me and then I realized
IT WAS A SNAKE !!! The part of the body on the trail was as big around as a maxwell coffee can.I could not
tell which end was the head and which was the tale because of the dense undergrowth.I tried to see and could not.I was stunned at the enormous size and backed up a bit.At that time,I was a still young and could throw a rock like a bullet.Along this trail was alot of ledgerocks,flat and sharp.I picked up a handful of good
throwing size and layed one right dead center of that snakes side and blood flew into the trail.This is when all he!!! broke loose.His head was uphill from the trail and he wrapped down across the trail around a good size tree on the downhill side and pulled his body around it down the hill.This thing was 12 feet or better in lenght and quick as
lightning.He was ripping bark off that tree as he pulled himself downhill.Needless to say I backed up in a hurry.He raised his head and 3 feet of his body up in the air blowing air out of his mouth like a tire going flat. I think out of instinct ,I fired another rock at him. I was aiming at his throat,but the way his head was wobbling
I skint him right across his nose and both eyes.His head was as big as both of my fist put together.When the rock him in the eyes he straighten out and rolled down through the bush into the bottom of the creek.Im pretty sure he was a python or a boa constrictor that was somebodies pet that had been turned loose.I think he had been waiting for a deer to come along that trail and he was going to smash and smother it againest the tree.I didnt follow him down the bank,I got out of there.Also I didnt do any hunting there anymore unless it was very cold outside......

8&sand

12 pointer
Nov 21, 2008
Louisville / Eastwood, KY
I got the mother of all snake stories.People I tell just look at me funny,like Im telling a lie
or making it up.Let me tell you first hand,this is the truth....My Grandmas old farm lays along a
big holler that swings down to the river.If you cross the holler,there is a nice flat area with oaks overlooking the river cliff.I loved to bowhunt this area and planned a October evening bowhunt.A old deer trail wounds around the holler to the head of the draw as it comes to a field.The trail was about half way up the side and was easy to walk all the way aound to the flat oak area.I dropped over the hill into the woods and got on the trail and started toward the far end.I had done this many years treerat hunting,deer hunting,and just
hanging out in the woods.I knew this trail and surroundings like the back of my hand.I had gone maybe 75 yds and I see this log laying up and down the hill across the trail.I stopped maybe 25 yds of reaching it as it looked strange to me,the color was a pattern of brown diamond shapes.This puzzled me and then I realized
IT WAS A SNAKE !!! The part of the body on the trail was as big around as a maxwell coffee can.I could not
tell which end was the head and which was the tale because of the dense undergrowth.I tried to see and could not.I was stunned at the enormous size and backed up a bit.At that time,I was a still young and could throw a rock like a bullet.Along this trail was alot of ledgerocks,flat and sharp.I picked up a handful of good
throwing size and layed one right dead center of that snakes side and blood flew into the trail.This is when all he!!! broke loose.His head was uphill from the trail and he wrapped down across the trail around a good size tree on the downhill side and pulled his body around it down the hill.This thing was 12 feet or better in lenght and quick as
lightning.He was ripping bark off that tree as he pulled himself downhill.Needless to say I backed up in a hurry.He raised his head and 3 feet of his body up in the air blowing air out of his mouth like a tire going flat. I think out of instinct ,I fired another rock at him. I was aiming at his throat,but the way his head was wobbling
I skint him right across his nose and both eyes.His head was as big as both of my fist put together.When the rock him in the eyes he straighten out and rolled down through the bush into the bottom of the creek.Im pretty sure he was a python or a boa constrictor that was somebodies pet that had been turned loose.I think he had been waiting for a deer to come along that trail and he was going to smash and smother it againest the tree.I didnt follow him down the bank,I got out of there.Also I didnt do any hunting there anymore unless it was very cold outside......

IN 95 we had been hiking at Otter Creek & seen a snake with a story like this. It was down near the cave entrance coiled up under a tree. When it streched out he was 6-8' long!

philipfleek

12 pointer
Feb 24, 2008
philville, KY
My moms brother was killed by a 16 foot python in his basement when I was 7 yo. He live trapped the snake from another country, he had hundreds of snakes and even alligators in his basement. He was a reptile freak and did some work at the Cincy zoo. His kids/ my cousins were only 12and 8 years old when he died, he was 33.

I don't mess with snakes!

GrouseAssasin

12 pointer
Aug 1, 2009
Jackson, ky
Myself, my rig hand and one of our truck drivers was up a holler in BFE West Virginia summer before last and had a close encounter of the 4' kind. We had our big truck parked in a little weedy clearing beside an old farm road. Had a dozer hauled in to pull my rig up to the top of the ridge, pretty normal operation for us. All 3 of us walked all around the trailer taking chains and binders off the dozer. One of us (dont remember who) stood at the back corner of the trailer and held the button in to let the ramps down. I hopped up on the dozer and backed it off the lowboy and came around to the side to shove the trailer around. My rig helper walked right back to the corner of the trailer, raised the ramps back up and stepped up onto the deck to watch me so i didn't tear the ramp control box off. There wasn't room to turn the semi around where we were at so I was going to shove it around with the dozer. I pushed the trailer sideways and when I backed the dozer up I saw a black snake tail slithering through the weeds where we had all just been standing. I though it was a black snake and was going to let it go, then the rattle came into view and I realized what it was. I tried a couple times to kill it with the dozer blade but the ground was so soft it just mushed up in the mud and as soon as I raised the blade it would take off again. Finally got it pinned, grabbed a shovel out of my pickup and decapitated him. It was 48" with 5 or 6 inches of head and neck removed. We couldn't have heard it rattle for the semi and dozer running, we walked all over top of it for a good 15 minutes. It was quitting time so we headed out, and low and behold there were two coal trains blocking the road at the mouth of the holler. One had pulled over to let the other pass. We sat there 40 minutes untill both trains moved. If one of us had got bit we'd had probably died. No cell phone service at all where we were, no way to move the trains. We have company radios that would reach back to P-burg but then we'd have to wait for someone to get ahold of Norfolk Southern and wait for a fully loaded train to get the hell out of the way. Nowhere to land a helicopter where we were either. Could have ended real badly.

We were 4-wheeling in Oliver Springs Tenn. this summer and stopped to take a break. My cousin walks over to a big rock about the size and shape of a wash tub and plops down. I'm sitting in my rhino and something under the rock catches my eye. My cousin has on shorts and a pair of low top ball shoes, bare ankles exposed to the world, and hes swinging his feet side to side. The movement I noticed was a great big copperhead coiled up under the rock, inches from his ankles following his movements back and forth. I very calmly told him there was a big ass snake under the rock and.....I didnt get to finish, he jerked his feet up under his butt and bounced off that rock like a rubber ball. We got a stick and dug the copperhead out and machete'd it. Looked under the rock and found another one, whacked it too. We were way back in the sticks on the Coal Creek property, would have took a while to get help, but better odds than the WV deal.

Munson

12 pointer
Dec 24, 2011
Natural Bridge
I had a copperhead slither across my foot and through my legs earlier this year trout fishing. Saturday I was mowing the MIL's yard where my 3yr old nephew was playing when i spotted another one, the mower wouldn't pick it up so i pinned it with the tire and beheaded it. Nephew over heard us talking about it and ask me why the coppeyheads walk where we do?....only thing i could come up with is...they don't have wings so they can't fly.

Latest posts