1. EastKYHardwoodHunter

EastKYHardwoodHunter 6 pointer

Mar 4, 2018
    Beattyville
    Anyone ever try smoking any type of freshwater fish? Tried some smoked tuna dip in Florida last summer and it as amazing. Wondered if freshwater fish could be done the same way.

2. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Any freshwater fish can be smoked. But it needs to be a clean tasting fish. If the said fish taste a little mossy smoke is going to kick that up x 5. This time of year I would not try it because of water conditions. But winter time fish is great for smoked dips.

carnivore likes this.
  3. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

I'd say trout would be good to smoke and use for dip.

4. chadwimc

chadwimc 12 pointer

Oct 29, 2004
    Trout is pretty good smoked. Just about the only way I eat it. The next day, mix the left overs with cream cheese and put on a bagel or whole wheat toast. Carp is just as good as trout... If you don't have any trout...;)

smoker14.jpg smoker11.jpg carp5.jpg carp6.jpg carp7.jpg

5. clovis67

clovis67 6 pointer

Aug 16, 2008
    I have wondered about this myself....I have a friend in South Florida who smokes swordfish and makes a dip.The stuff is incredibly delicious...can’t hardly stop eating it..once you get started. Yummy

6. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Im going to take your advice and smoke some cold weather bluegill out of my pond this year. Might do some trout too. Been wanting to and just haven't tried it.

bondhu likes this.