Small Gray Type Squirrels??

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by davers, Dec 29, 2019.

1. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    My biggest fear concerning this small species of Squirrel, if this species increases in population, is the impact it will have on: our Wild Turkey, as well as several other game species that feed on Acorns & other masts.

2. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Kill all of them to stop the population growth

3. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    I don't think it will be that easy to eradicate them all. Just like the Asian Carp issue we have along with the Asian Beetle problem.

4. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    These little squirrels keeping u awake at night?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    bowhunter269 likes this.
  5. Davers, that is a cute little fella. Does not look at all like the American Red/Piney squirrel in the pic posted by Munson. Does look something like the few little ones I have kilt but mine were not that small. They were all grey however. Wish we could get a DNA sample to the Dept F&W.

6. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    I really don't believe a DNA sample would do much good, Irish. We do know it is a Squirrel Species, and is smaller than our regular Gray & Fox Squirrels. My question is why are they increasing in number, in some part of the State; and what affect, if they continue to increase, have on other game species like Gray & Fox Squirrels. (?) Not to mention Wild Turkeys and other wildlife that depend upon mast as winter food source, if it is eating-up unripe Acorns & Hickory nuts, by this invasive Squirrel.

7. hondo1892

hondo1892 6 pointer

Dec 20, 2014
    North of Lake Cumberland
    I lived in Michigan for years and the photo posted of the smaller squirrel looks like some of the red squirrels that were in Michigan. If you look at the smaller squirrel you can see a black strip that separates the white belly from the grey color. We called them red squirrels because they were usually red but sometimes they had a gray hue to them. Not sure why the color variation may be the environment they live in. They are quite the pest they chewed through some of the wiring on one of my pickups and chewed holes in plastic trash cans that they wanted to get into. There are pockets of reds in Michigan but they didn't seem to hurt the overall population of the fox or grays up there. Oh the eastern red squirrel looks different than the ones out west. The ones out west have tuffs of hair on the tops of their ears but easterns don't.

captain71, davers and barney like this.
  8. aaronc

aaronc 12 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield

Is that a Savage?

9. Yes, the rifle in my previous post is a Savage MkII in 17 Mach2. It was restocked with a laminated Boyds stock to get rid of the black plastic look. It is one of my best squirrel getters. My only complaint about it is the heavy bbl profile is a bit porky and is a lot to lug around all day. Nobody needs a heavy barrel for hunting squirrels. But at the time, I could not find any other mach2 on the market and had to take what I could get.

10. aaronc

aaronc 12 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield

Ahh ok.....nice......I didn't recognize the stock. :)

11. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    This post ^ is a bit off topic. The discussion here concerns those seemly small invasive Squirrels that seem to populate our Stat's forest and woods.

Carl likes this.
  12. Carl

Carl 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2003
    Western Kentucky
    I agree. Hijacking Sucks.:mad:

davers likes this.
  13. That post was only an answer to a direct question from Aaronc a few days earlier. If it was a wasting yer time, just don't read it. The post previous that generated the question was about the lil grey squirrels. Yeah, I coulda answered with a PM but if he asked there could have been others who were wondering.

14. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    Okay, I understand. Sorry, I didn't mean to start any issues on this thread of mine.

15. :) No Worries - If all we gonna have to hunt is them little tiny grey squirrels in the future, then we will need some highly accurate rifles to hunt em. They won't sit still and are hard to hit. Maybe we should start lobbying for a larger bag limits too? On a serious note - while I have seen and commented on the little grey squirrels last fall and early winter I was never sure if they were juvenile squirrels, stunted growth squirrels or as some have postulated: an invasive species of smaller Northern red/grey squack? I have only bagged a few of them because I had assumed that they were just kids leaving the nest and just skipped over them most of the time. I have noticed that the last few times I have been in the woods, the only greys I have seen were normal sized Eastern Grey Squirrels of adult size. The last tiny ones I seen were in Sept last year.

davers and barney like this.