Small Gray Type Squirrels??

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by davers, Dec 29, 2019.

1. Chilly

Chilly 12 pointer

If a dog can still tree them, I'm game. My cur treed a flying squirrel one night and I thought that was fun. Something different anyhow.
    Fox squirrels are still around, just find a lake, river, or creek. They will be there.

2. clovis67

clovis67 6 pointer

Aug 16, 2008
    So....I guess I am fixing to show my ignorance.. but I gotta know.. are Chipmunks not a squirrel species that resides in Ky? I see these little critters from time to time.Especially when I am around the Lakes area in Western Ky.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  3. Munson

Munson 12 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    I would think they gotta be in the same species. They're found all over ky to my knowledge. If you're interested in seeing tons of em...go to WV, or at least the part I hunt. Little sobs are in every direction you look! They have an abundance of owls too which seems odd as owls are primarily night predators.

4. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    Chipmunks are a species of Squirrel, just like Woodchucks are.

5. clovis67

clovis67 6 pointer

Aug 16, 2008
    That distribution map thingy said Kentucky had 4 species of squirrels...and when I read that It made me go....? Chipmunk?

6. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    The KDFWR site says we have 3 types of tree squirrels: eastern gray, northern fox and southern flying.

7. clovis67

clovis67 6 pointer

Aug 16, 2008
    KDFWR may wanna do some field study’s..I think we have a couple newcomers!

davers and barney like this.
  8. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    In the last 50 years here on the farm I've seen it go from 80% fox squirrel to 95% or better grey squirrel. Ground squirrels used to be thick as hair on dogs back, I haven't seen one of those in the woods in 20 years.

davers and Dark Cloud like this.
  9. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    A lot of ground squirrels around here

barney likes this.
  10. woodsman92

woodsman92 10 pointer

Feb 16, 2019
    Russell Co
    I see plenty of chipmunks/ground squirrels, but over past 15 years I’ve seen a significant decrease in fox squirrels in my woods. Used to be 50/50 ratio on greys or reds. Now I haven’t seen the first fox squirrel in my woods for 5 years I’d say

davers and barney like this.
  11. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    Not many Chipmunks on my property, as I believe Hawks get most of them. On the subject of Fox Squirrels, I also have very few on my property, and if I am lucky, I bag only a couple per year. Mostly there are much more Eastern Grays on my property, along with those small Squirrels, which are increasing. Coming from Indiana, I am very disappointed that Fox Squirrels are in such small numbers, in my area of Kentucky. Fox Squirrels is the most dominate Squirrel up in Southwest Indiana.

12. aaronc

aaronc 12 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield

As far as fox and grey's,...........you reckon any relation to the habitat change on your farm at all ?

More mature woods?,....less woods?,..,..More livestock/pasture type areas ? Just curious.

I've always found "traditional woods" with good mast (hickorys mainly) to hold a mix of both but more greys.

I find that woodlands with less quality mast crop (acorns or seemingly nothing much at all) still yet to always hold fox squirrels....also they seem to always do better around scattered woods over pasture type ground and not dense "woods".
    Eastern greys seem to be more sensitive to quality eats in my opinion....but when they're found it is certainly a denser population. I dunno,.....I've always thought them to certainly behave different,.........they are each a unique species for sure.

bowhunter269 likes this.
  13. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I have pondered the reason behind the flip flop for several years. It's not habitat, there's basically no change at all. I have recently started to think maybe bobcats have had something to do with the reduction in fox squirrel numbers.

aaronc likes this.
  14. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    Davers……..did you contact F&W for DNA sampling, or something to determine if we have a "new" species in KY ?

15. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    I posted a photo of this small Squirrel species, compared to a normal Gray Squirrel and some notations, I wrote about them, on their Face Book page. Will see if they will pay attention to this potential impact on our larger Squirrels.