Small Gray Type Squirrels??

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by davers, Dec 29, 2019.

1. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    On the subject of Squirrels & Hunting. Has anyone, who hunt Squirrels, in Central Ky, have harvested any unusual small gray-like Squirrels this 2019 season? On my property, especially this year, about 60% of the Squirrels I've seen have been these unusual smaller variation of our more familiar Eastern Gray. These smaller grays are only 3/4 the size of our Eastern Gray species, and seem to be increasing in numbers, and I've seen fewer of our more familiar and larger Eastern Grays and Fox Squirrels. One thing I've noticed that these smaller Gray Squirrels consume unripe mast before our regular Grays & Fox Squirrels, leaving very little mast for other larger Squirrels. The ones I've harvested, first thought they were just young Grays, but when I examined them I found they were full grown adult Squirrels, only they were considerably smaller. Not certain but I believe we have an invasive species or variant species of our Eastern Gray Squirrel. These small Gray Squirrels are about the same size as a Norway Rat.

Carl and Gooch like this.
  2. woodsman92

woodsman92 6 pointer

Feb 16, 2019
    Russell Co
    Well I haven’t put the amount of thought into that you have, but I have squirrel hunted this year a lot more than I have in the past 10 years or so. Hunting the same property 10 years ago it was about a 50/50 fox to grey squirrel ratio. This year I have yet to see the first fox squirrel there, but mostly smaller greys that I just assumed to be young ones. I do know whatever they are, they sure taste good, just takes a few more to make a mess.

3. Grago

Grago 8 pointer

Dec 13, 2016
    I havent squirrel hunted in a long time, but they are everywhere around here i ran over this fox squirrel the other day, biggest one i have ever seen but i have noticed some smaller grey squirrels i just thought they were young ones but you may be right on them

Attached Files:

Carl and davers like this.
  4. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    Back up in Southern Indiana, where I grew-up; I hunted farms and areas where the ONLY Squirrel Species was the Fox Squirrel. I rarely saw an Eastern Gray, but when I did they were certainly much larger than these "Gray Tree-Rat" Squirrels we have down here in Central Ky. Back-up in Indiana, if one wanted Gray Squirrels, they hunted some of the deep wooded public wildlife areas, or the Hoosier National Forest, but there were always both species being Fox and Gray. When I moved down here, I thought the Squirrel Hunting would be outstanding, but it looks like Indiana holds the edge over Kentucky as far as Squirrel Hunting goes.

5. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    You must do some Flying Predator Management if you want any Squirrels to hunt.
    We have both Red Fox Squirrel and Grey ones here.

6. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Are they flying squirrels?

7. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    No, they aren't Flying Squirrels or Chipmunks. They look similar to the Eastern Gray, but I've noticed their tail is not a bushy and lacks the two strips on each side of their tail. From a distance they look like a Eastern Gray though only much smaller.

8. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Sounds like the young, tender, delicious frying sized greys. The thin narrow tail, and smaller size are indicative of young squirrels.

9. Chilly

Chilly 10 pointer

I'd love to see a picture comparing the two. Sounds interesting.

10. Worked with a guy from Indiana,he was telling me about special small looking gray squirrels.Thought he was full of it.Till he broght a dead one in.Definite different.Did not take pics should have.Anyway,he said the locals called them pineys.That's all I got.The size,the tail,stripes,color,something was different.Cant remember what,lol

davers likes this.
  11. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    Last year I saw a bunch of squirrels like you described. I assumed they were just really young ones. This year I saw several from the same stand and they looked normal, just a little bigger. For whatever reason I think our squirrel population was next to nothing a few years ago and they just now are making a comeback and getting to a decent size.

barney likes this.
  12. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    I know what you are saying in your post, but these Small Gray like Squirrels I harvested were all adults. As for eating them all one can eat is the back legs and they are way small and usually over cooked or tough.

13. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 10 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    How do you age a squirrel? By their jaw?

14. Gooch

Gooch 8 pointer

Feb 24, 2004
    .lincoln co ky
    I know exactly what you’re talking about one place I deer hunt I watch a lot of squirrels from my tree stand a lot of very small gray squirrels this is the only place that I see the small ones has been that way for the past several years just at that location I have wondered the same thing myself if this is a different species of squirrel

davers likes this.
  15. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Love to see some pictures!

Luther's Feist and davers like this.