Small Game Seasons

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by Birdman, Feb 26, 2002.

1. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    Grouse season will be ending in two days. Which is the last of our small game seasons to close out the years hunting. There are some people that would like to see all small game seasons close on Dec. 31. How does everyone feel about this? Thanks Birdman

Ronnie Wells
    Box 1588 Paintsville KY 41240

2. GSP

GSP 14 Pointer Staff Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    I think the seasons are about right the way they are now.

3. grouseguy

grouseguy 12 pointer

I have spoken out here many times in the past regarding my opposition to shortening the small game seasons. This is an outdated and unproven theory that is still held by a few Dept personnel and based on the studies that I am aware of, there is no evidence that late season hunting mortality is additive.

Actually, with the expanding of firearm deer seasons in the fall, if small game hunting seasons were closed on Dec 31st, the reality would be that small game hunting (especially with dogs) would cease to exist in KY. It simply would not be feasible from a cost/benefit standpoint for hunters to maintain dogs throughout the year for only 2-3 weeks of actual hunting opportunities, which would also result in a corresponding loss of revenue from decreased license sales for the Dept. If the Dept were to impose such a reduction in small game seasons, it would in affect be shooting itself in the foot, along with acting contrary to its mission statement.

This is an issue, that if presented to the Commission again for consideration, MUST be opposed by ALL small game hunters. The very future of our sport will depend on it.

4. CPA Hunter

CPA Hunter 8 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    Many places have a longer small game than we do. I would not mind seeing rabbit open later--after the blaze orange. That way I don't have to worry about what to hunt--rabbit or deer. I would like to see it start later and end later, but then you get into the rabbit breeding season.

5. Motengator

Motengator Fawn

Feb 27, 2002
    Paintsville, Ky, USA.
    It seems to me that someone wants to set the season based on something other that what is best for the acutal game to be hunted. As far Eastern Kentucky is concerned the seasons accomodate each hunted species to the point that we have the habitat, weather, hunting pressure, and public knowledge in tune with keeping all of these things in decent balance. Not perfect, but getting much better. Prediatory pressure and habitat are, as all of you know, are two important things we really need to put to the center and take some definitive action, not just lip service.

If the moving the season end is driven by politics or to streamline some government agency, then I would urge all to resist.

wjb

6. Fortress

Fortress Fawn

Feb 28, 2002
    Delaying the opening of small game season and closing earlier than now will serve no biological reason. As we all know prediatory pressure and habitat are two major important things we really need to put to the commission and local biologist and take some definitive action, not just lip service. They should stay open as they are now. There is not a biological reason to close earlier than the state wide regulation as they are now, or to delay the opening of small game season. Closing them earlier is a great disservice to the hunters. We deserve better treatment than this form the Wildlife Commission and the people who advise them.

7. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.
    Fellows, I tell you up front that I know absolutely nothing about quail or grouse, but I do know a bit about rabbits, having killed a bunch over the years. Closing the season early won't do anything for the resource. Most of the rabbits killed early will be female rabbits and young males. But almost all of those killed from January on will be male rabbits. I'd say over 90%, based on my experience. That includes on year that we killed almost 400 rabbits season wide over the dogs.

I always thought that most bird hunters preferred a later opener because of the seed and hay in the air effecting the dogs. I believe a later opener or a split season would be more popular over all.

8. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    Multidigits where are you from and have you hunted eastern ky for rabbit? I agree with your statement on the seasons.

9. raktrakr

raktrakr Cyber-Hunter

Jan 20, 2002
    central ky
    leave'm be... although i do see cpa hunters' point!