Small caliber muzzleloader fall hunt

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by Kylongrifle32, Oct 19, 2019.

1. Kylongrifle32

Kylongrifle32 6 pointer

Jan 13, 2019
    Owen co.
    Has anyone ever heard any rumors of Kentucky F&W giving us a small caliber muzzleloader fall turkey season? It's wishful thinking on my part but I sure do love front loading a 32 cal round ball and squirrel hunting in the ole longhunter style so I just know turkey hunting would be awesome in that same style.
    Some times I think about going out west and going after turkeys with my contender in 32-20 win more than I do going after elk and I sure do want to pursue an elk before I pass on to the Happy Hunting Grounds.

WaterDog88 likes this.
  2. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    I’ve got a 36 caliber T/C Seneca that seen the death of many a squirrel.... awesome way to hunt and would be plenty for a turkey if you hit the right spot.

I’ll also even say range / distance wise....about the same as a shotgun, 40-50 yds max.

That said and I would condone it as I would any primitive weapon opportunity...... but doubt you will see any changes allowing rifles ....muzzleloading or otherwise. As been several occasions turkey hunters have been shot with modern shotguns and lived to tell about. Might not be the case with a 32 or 36 cal muzzleloader.

Which muzzleloading shotguns are perfectly legal...spring or fall is anyone has a desire to tote one.

Dark Cloud likes this.
  3. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    I have a 32 cal. Muzzeloader. But wouldnt want to shoot a turkey with it. I would rather hunt with my muzzeloading shotgun. I wish the kdfw would allow a early season muzzeloader shotgun and or archery season in early spring. Like 1 weekend end of march. That would be fun.

4. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    I use to own a .32 T/C Cherokee M/L rifle, which I used on several Squirrel hunts. With open sights, I missed more than I bagged. Nice light little M/L for Squirrel Hunting.

hollandhunter likes this.
  5. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    I built a 32 caliber once, didn't like it much but would love to try one In a inline.
    I had a 12 gauge double barrel with choke tubes but it shot a foot high so I got rid of it.
    I would like a original 20 ga double with full chokes to turkey hunt with.

6. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    A bunch of people would cry and moan because they couldn't use their 50 cal inline with a scope. I think if it was limited to traditional sidelock firearms in percussion and flint with iron sights, it would generate a lot of interest. I'll bet it will never happen because the traditional MLs are out of fashion these days.

Kylongrifle32 likes this.
  7. Kylongrifle32

Kylongrifle32 6 pointer

Jan 13, 2019
    Owen co.
    Reivertom I was thinking along that line. Keep it primitive side locks and open sights only. Have it in January before the season ends so there is no under brush or leaves to allow for clear target identification. I'm already out perusing squirrel so there's no more danger than that at this time of year.

reivertom likes this.