Sloughs WMA- Sauerheber tract

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by Justduckin036, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Justduckin036

Justduckin036 Fawn

Oct 15, 2018
    Campbell County
    Has anyone hunted sloughs WMA in western KY recently? I know they have changed A LOT of things up there this year. I got drawn for Duncan unit in the Sauerheber tract. Looks like flooded corn and a little timber from the areal. From what I have been able to gather this WMA used to be set up for targeting geese almost exclusively but with the recent changes in goose migration KDFWR has made the decision to change things up and target ducks. I believe DU was involved somehow. I THINK that the Sauerheber unit was a refuge up until this year but I could be wrong. Please correct me if I am. I’m not going to ask how the hunting is because I already know... it’s Kentucky so it sucks 90% of the time.

I guess my first question is where do you guys stay down there? Doesn’t seem to be much of anything besides Henderson around and they only have a couple motels that may or may not allow dogs. Second, what units in Sloughs are open to hunting without a draw? We’re coming down for the Thursday and Friday that I got drawn for but will try to hunt somewhere Saturday and Sunday as well. I would love to here from anyone with some history of this place because from the bits I’ve gathered it seems pretty neat.

2. HappyHunter

HappyHunter 8 pointer

Sep 11, 2003
    Louisville
    We’ve stayed at the comfort inn and the sleep inn. The sleep in is a little closer to the refuge. What dates and which Duncan tract did you get?

3. Justduckin036

Justduckin036 Fawn

Oct 15, 2018
    Campbell County
    I got Duncan 2 for January 3rd and 4th. Should be a good part of the season but in this state who really knows. Could be 70 could be 3 inches of ice ‍♂️

4. Justduckin036

Justduckin036 Fawn

Oct 15, 2018
    Campbell County
    Anybody know of any year round camp grounds or know someone down there who will take a couple bucks in return for parking a camper for a few nights?

5. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    I'll take your money and point you to a spot to park your camper. No warranties given, stay at your own risk. Dogs welcome.

6. rabbit dawg

rabbit dawg 6 pointer

Mar 9, 2010
    Audubon State park is the only campground I know of.

7. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    But I think it closes around first of November. Might have to check on line.

rabbit dawg likes this.
  8. rcscott

rcscott Fawn

Feb 14, 2013
    It's closed completely this year for construction.

9. Justduckin036

Justduckin036 Fawn

Oct 15, 2018
    Campbell County
    That’s what I thought I saw too.

10. duckheadforge

duckheadforge Fawn

Dec 2, 2013
    I called the sloughs office and they told me we can camp at higginson/ Henry wma campground yr round. It is primitive camping. He said it was 30 minutes from duncan.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
  11. duckheadforge

duckheadforge Fawn

Dec 2, 2013
    I have duncan 2 on December 29,30,31. Im watching weather hoping birds move down from winter storm eboni. I can let you know what happens.

12. Bowfinger

Bowfinger 8 pointer

Nov 3, 2015
    In a Concrete Submarine
    Let me help you out. Stay home. Go out and buy a nice steak. Squeeze on momma. You will have a much more enjoyable experience.

KDT

13. duckheadforge

duckheadforge Fawn

Dec 2, 2013
    I hate to admit it but you are correct. After two days of high flying ducks that we could not turn, my hunting partners have thrown in the towel. It has made me question if i can even call a duck at all. I have tomorrow left but i don't really expect a different outcome.

14. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY

If you use them, turn the spinners off and don't put any out. They are the devil. Use a jerk rig. Seriously. I don't care if it is a field, use a jerk rig!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  15. Bowfinger

Bowfinger 8 pointer

Nov 3, 2015
    In a Concrete Submarine
    How come nobody listens to me till after the fact?

KDT