Sloughs advice?

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by DADDYRABBIT1974, Jan 1, 2019.

1. DADDYRABBIT1974

DADDYRABBIT1974 Spike

May 12, 2011
    My son got drew for 3rd and 4th of January. Got Crenshaw blind 6. We've never been to sloughs before so this will all be new to us. This about 4 1/2 hour drive for us and where we got drew on a Thursday and Friday will mean taking a couple sick days at work and school. If someone could give me some advice on the blind we got drew for I would greatly appreciate the help. The drive and taking off work is not a big deal if we have a good chance of enjoying ourselves and having a decent hunt. My sons are 14 and a12 and with basketball it's hard for them to get a break to take a couple days off to take a trip. I would like to make the best of the time we go. This trip may give us the opportunity to a great time or it could be one of those blinds that its unlikely to kill birds. I would appreciate any input you may have. Thanks

2. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
    Take some good food, cook in the blind, BS with your boys. As far as ducks and hunting go, the hunting is some of the worst I have ever seen. It truly sucks.

3. Bowfinger

Bowfinger 8 pointer

Nov 3, 2015
    In a Concrete Submarine
    If your traveling and staying in a motel, dont do it. Find something else to do. The Ohio is huge. There is no birds. What birds are there are spread thin.

4. HeadedWest

HeadedWest 6 pointer

Nov 22, 2016
    Ya never know for sure unless you go.......But I'd listen to the advice given already.

5. duckheadforge

duckheadforge Fawn

Dec 2, 2013
    Id take plenty of food and don't eat at Hardee's in Henderson.

6. hunt-4-life21

hunt-4-life21 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2007
    Butler Co.
    Water is everywhere around where I work in Owensboro. I can't imagine what it looks like in Hendo (downriver). Don't expect to kill birds. It's bad and more water just made it worse.

7. wprebeck

wprebeck 12 pointer

Jun 7, 2004
    Louisville, KY.
    I would agree with the lack of birds. An email group to which I belong sent out some stuff yesterday - there are specks out there, but under 500 ducks, according to his count.

That being said - my son and I (he just turned 15 this weekend) go out every day we can. I haven't brought home a single bird this season - that counts early woodie, as well - and he's scratched out four wood ducks during IN and KY youth seasons. Birds just aren't around right now, but the time we spend together is worth way more than any bird.

Enjoy your time with the kids - they'll be grown all too soon, and living their own lives. Scoring some kills makes things better, but nothing can replace quality time with the kids, doing something you love.

8. Justduckin036

Justduckin036 Fawn

Oct 15, 2018
    Campbell County
    Drabbit Did you end up going to Sloughs last week? We’re were right next to you in Crenshaw 5. Killed 1 Thursday and 3 Friday... slow slow slow. The property line of the WMA is not even 50 yards past C5 blind and some guys put a blind up on the private property right on the line. They killed three or four on Thursday and screwed us out of our only decent sized flock of mallards. That’s the way it goes I guess. It got even worse Saturday and Sunday. We hunted Highland creek. There was a decent amount of shooting in JH.

9. wprebeck

wprebeck 12 pointer

Jun 7, 2004
    Louisville, KY.
    Hoping for a hard freeze over the next two weeks. Son was drawn for Crenshaw #4 on youth weekend. I can goose hunt, but I wanna see him bust some quackers one last weekend.

Called the WMA today, and they said if it freezes, there's a pump they'll have working to keep it open for the youth hunt. Map says there's standing corn plots in the south corners, but those are too far away from the pump if things get locked up.

Map also says scouting ain't allowed. Anyone got any idea of what it looks like? I know the "old" tracts, but haven't seen the new stuff yet. Pump is close to the road, blind is in middle of tract. I have options for shallow water hunting, if need be, but trying to get an idea of how it looks now.

If scouting were allowed, I'd hit it this weekend.

10. Cape Hillian

Cape Hillian Spike

Jul 23, 2017
    Hendo
    if you're interested Cape Hills is having a free youth weekend. more than welcome to come hunt.

Giveem3outdoors and HeadedWest like this.
  11. wprebeck

wprebeck 12 pointer

Jun 7, 2004
    Louisville, KY.
    If the offer is still open for tomorrow, he would love it. Can you PM a contact?

Cape Hillian likes this.