Sling for gun without swivels

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by dabassking, Dec 27, 2019.

1. dabassking

dabassking 6 pointer

Sep 16, 2015
    Central KY
    I’m looking for a sling for a shotgun and a .22 rifle that aren’t outfitted with the swivels to connect a regular sling. Does anyone have any recommendations?

2. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 10 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    Are you looking to preserve the stock? I bought a marlin 22 that did not have studs for a sling. My local hunting store had studs and with the right drill bit got them installed quickly at home

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
    muddhunter, riverboss and 1wildcatfan like this.
  3. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

davers and muddhunter like this.
  4. dabassking

dabassking 6 pointer

Sep 16, 2015
    Central KY
    I don’t think I’ve got the proper tools to drill the holes right now. No bench vice to hold it steady.

I figured the only way to go was like the style in the link already posted, I just didn’t know it one particular brand held better than others. It seems like the cinched loop around the barrel would slide around like crazy.

5. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 10 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    Walmart used to sell a style a little less elaborate than that one posted and much cheaper. No pad or anything, just the nylon strap. It had a an elastic collar that slipped on the stock first to hold it so was more simple. We always just went under the part that went over the barrel and used a little black tape to snug it up. If you don't do that, you have to remove the sling everytime you fire as it will get in the way of your sights.

6. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 10 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky

https://www.amazon.com/Swivel-Screws-Mounting-Hunting-Shotguns/dp/B01LXM86FJ

It’s whatever you are comfortable with But I think you’re overestimating it. Also I wouldn’t think a gun store would charge that much.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
  7. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Gun store would probably install ,with the purchase of the strap and mounts

8. shaman

shaman 8 pointer

Jul 20, 2004
    Neave, KY, USA.
    I've done a bunch of rifles with nothing more than a cordless drill and a pack of bits. You can pile books up and put the rifle between them. All you really need is a good positive starter hole so the drill bit doesn't walk around.

muddhunter and Meatstick like this.
  9. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Exactly. Tiny bit first. I also put some tape on the stock first to keep from pulling up little splinters

10. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I have one that fits around the stock, and has a bracket attached to barrel. No drilling. It’s on an old Winchester 1400.

11. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Also have one on my BPS that works the same way, but I have a swivel cap on the magazine tube.

12. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    I have one for an old 1100 that is a boot type sling that comes over the buttstock and then uses a cap with a swivel on the forend.

You also have the option of a lace up boot-type muzzleloader leather sling.

13. Chilly

Chilly 10 pointer

I just installed sling studs on the new shotguns my kids got for Christmas. I know it's hard to put a drill bit into a new gun, but if I'm gonna be using it, its gotta have a sling.

dirtstalker and Meatstick like this.