Sighting In My Rem 7mm Mag

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Brett Carter, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Brett Carter

Brett Carter Fawn

Nov 7, 2016
    I need to sight in my 7mm Rem Mag tomorrow. I will be purchasing Remington 7mm Mag 150 gr PSP Core Lokt unless there is a good reason to buy something different. I tried to go online to get ballistic info but my work computers will not allow me to access "firearm" websites from work.

Does anyone have suggestions for sighting in? How high should I be at certain distances? Should I sight in high at 50? Dead on at 100? The area I am hunting could present me with a 200 to 225 yd shot in an open field.

It has been a long time since I have sighted in a gun. This is a new gun and new scope (Nikon Pro-Staff 3x9 with the internal dots for different distances). Any feedback or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Be safe out there guys.

2. useyourbow

useyourbow 12 pointer

I am going to say this and if it hurts your feelings so be it. Consider it tough love. Sight it in dead on at 100 yards and shoot no further. If you were capable of shooting further you wouldn't be asking this question. Just because the gun can doesn't mean the shooter can. Good luck.

Dark Cloud likes this.
  3. Huntertyler

Huntertyler Spike

Nov 3, 2014
    Madison county
    At 50 yards with my 30-06 we sight it in an inch low at 50 yards. That should put you in the boiler room with any of those shot opportunities you just listed off.

4. useyourbow

useyourbow 12 pointer

Here we go.

5. stevenvalleyagain

stevenvalleyagain 10 pointer

Aug 15, 2005
    Valley station
    Normally I would say do a 200 yard zero since you are shooting 7mm magnum. However, since your max shots could be 225, I would use a 100 yard zero. Then shoot at 200 to see how much bullet drop you have at 200. Shouldn't be much with that caliber.
    Now to the remington corelocts. They are excellent at putting a deer on the ground in a hurry at 100 yards or less. I believe remington recommends 2600 fps for complete expansion. Corelocts also have a terrible BC. IF..big IF, you expect your average shot to be 200 yards or more, I would look into a different bullet. Maybe find something with a Hornady SST or similar bullet with a much better BC to cut the wind on long shots. If they are closer, corelocts will do the job awesomely.

6. Brett Carter

Brett Carter Fawn

Nov 7, 2016
    Thanks for the recd's. Hopefully someone shooting a 7mm Mag will provide the same type of data or will confirm what you have posted.

7. Brett Carter

Brett Carter Fawn

Nov 7, 2016
    Thanks Steve. Didn't see that post until after I had hit enter on my post.

8. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Not picking on you at all.... but buying and / or sighting in a gun just days before season is a tad of a stretch.

Is the scope pre-mounted.... is it bore sighted ?? If not.... that's the starting point...especially bore sighting. As you can waste a lot of ammo sometimes getting one on paper.

Which just my own personal opinion / method....... I'd start out close at 25 yds and once on paper I'd make adjustments to have it dead on to a fuzz low at that distance. Then I'd move out to 100yds and see where your at... which I personally don't like a dead-on at 100yds. Your just robbing the potential of most calibers and its best to optimize the performance at longer ranges without being too high at close distances. To me a typical big game sight-in being 3" high at 100 yds will be close to what I'm after... but even at that there's variables.

Which not being familiar / comfortable with the gun is one of those variables ... and would say you really need to limit your distance until you can get some serious range time with the gun. A 7mm mag is a fine caliber...but has a fairly stiff amount of recoil and be easy to develop some bad habits.

Ammo... can be a seek & find ... to find a load the gun likes. Which I have nothing against Remington PSP Core-Lokt.... been a ton of deer killed with them. But some guns pending bullet grain weights can be picky concerning accuracy. Without shooting different kinds at different distances... its just somewhat of a guess at what shoots best.

Good Luck.

9. Brett Carter

Brett Carter Fawn

Nov 7, 2016
    JD I appreciate your input. If I had bought it on Friday before opening gun season I would agree. If someone can't get a gun sighted in with 5 days to go then they have big problems and probably shouldn't be hunting. Scope was pre-mounted and bore sighted so I should be close (on the paper). I am merely asking for input on the sighting in process. I have been hunting for 30 years like many others on this site. I have spoken to many that say zero it in high at 50.....others say zero it in at 100 slightly high..........I have my own method but I haven't had to completely start from scratch in several years.

10. WaterDog88

WaterDog88 10 pointer

Jul 28, 2008
    Kentucky
    My gun like core lokts and with 150 gr PSP core lokts I have my -06 set at 2 inches high at 100 yards. That puts me dead on at 200. dont know about the 7mm and I've never shot one. May be a flatter shooter.

11. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    As I said... I wasn't picking on you and understand.

Not saying its perfect....but I've sighted in a lot of guns with a 25yd method..... which your probably going to be between 2.5 to 3" high at a 100yds.. with a 150gr -7mm mag.

But your also going to be back on zero somewhere around 250 yds or slightly further.... which should cover the base for a long shot if presented.

Again ... not a perfect method and fine tuning is always a plus.... but this has been a starting point for me on most of my centerfires.

12. jshepherd

jshepherd 6 pointer

Nov 3, 2015
    Breathitt
    Winchesters website has a good ballistics calculator

13. Brett Carter

Brett Carter Fawn

Nov 7, 2016
    I completely agree and understand JD. Thanks for the helpful input. I am going to run the Remington Ballistics using their website when I get home but the work computers won't let me access "gun" related sites from the office.

I spoke to the guys at the local Cabela's and what they said made a lot of sense. The humane "KILL ZONE" on a whitetail buck is roughly 8" in diameter. They suggested you sight it in at 50 yards to be 1/4" low. They said you would be about 1.5" low at 200 yards. Still well within the kill zone. He said if you think you will be shooting further than that than you should make adjustments so that you are high at 100 yards but I won't be shooting any further than 225 yards and the Nikon Prostaff scope has the

14. jsc3150

jsc3150 8 pointer

Sep 20, 2004
    Lexington
    I have a Ruger 7mm mag that really likes the Federal Premium 160 grain Nosler Partitions. It is set .6" high @ 50 yards, 1.5" high @ 100 yards, dead on @ 200 yards, and 6.8" low at 300 yards.

15. Brett Carter

Brett Carter Fawn

Nov 7, 2016
    Thanks for the helpful posts. I think I'm good to go and will get out there this evening to hopefully get things dialed in.

jim coryell likes this.