Shroom

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by Luther's Feist, Aug 28, 2021.

1. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Squirrel

barney likes this.
  2. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Guarding my lovely bluebirds
    No Sir, the planter had not been moved at all. The planter is an indoor planter containing no drainage holes, but the top of it is scalloped permitting entry. It was inverted atop the foil. Other planters were directly beside it here upon the deck holding it in place and blocking winds.

3. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    Bluebird

4. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    No Sir, but the planter happens to be blue. Nothing larger than a dime crawled beneath it and maybe even smaller. It was sitting on the deck bench, along with a vast multitude of planters, and it was empty less the mysteriously missing shroom atop the foil.. I'm unaware of bluebirds eating shrooms, but I have read that wild turkeys, crows, brown thrashers and jays will eat parts of some (no idea if true), while also having read that shrooms can injure and/or kill other birds.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021 at 2:16 PM
  5. KY_Fried

KY_Fried 10 pointer

Nov 13, 2003
    Foster, KY, USA.
    Thanks for that. I visited there a few years ago and it was helpful but not many users from our neck of the woods on there then. Looks like the "shroom boom" has changed that a little bit.

00noturkey likes this.
  6. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    At least something positive came from 100 million dead ash trees but i get a little sad knowing the boom will die in the next 5-10 years. I have learned where to place dead wood/logs on my property to keep things going but finding them naturally has been fun.

7. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Just discovered myself a big cluster of shrooms while weeding, causing me to further muse upon whether sting bugs ate my now missing shroom cap. I eyeball measured the entrance height of ingress/egress to its former, inverted planter, which currently has a stink bug crawling upon the outside, and then stood a dime up for better assessment. Half the size of the dime is the space, thereby plenty of room exists, which I already realized.

So, I issued query and read a bit here, failing to see mushrooms upon the vast list (scroll down within it, they like almost everything within sight):

http://www.stopbmsb.org/where-is-bmsb/host-plants/

I then contacted the gentleman having dealt with the critters for one decade, heading up the study researched via 18 institutions:

https://cals.ncsu.edu/entomology-and-plant-pathology/people/jwalgenb/

He found all to be of interest, while kindly elaborating quite a bit. He stated that mushrooms had not been included within the crop study; therefore, he did not know whether his smelly clan eats them. He further added that they are not eating here this time of year, instead looking for warm, dry shelter. The latter had previously entered my mind as a possibility. The mystery of the missing shroom remains!

Almost forgot: he has never been poked by the critters.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021 at 2:47 PM
  8. 00noturkey

00noturkey 12 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    High Grove
    are there really stink bugs? if so, i haven't encountered them, in years. i have encountered squash bugs, which look the same. ruin your zukinnie, an squash. look like the real thing, but they aint... just lay eggs in the vines, an the plant dies. gov. plant, stop growing, buy at the store.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021 at 10:08 PM
  9. 00noturkey

00noturkey 12 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    High Grove
    my zukinnie was over a foot an 3 or 4 inches round. still good, tender. hard to beat from the store brand. then came the squash bugs.. tis a plan i think. dont grow at home...
    grow what we want... nothing..

10. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Yes Sir. The gentleman told me that he has been to houses that were literally covered with thousands of them. Told him that such did not seem to be my fate, this year, but most certainly hundreds of them. Being that I have mega birds, some of them surely feasted upon them; so, thousands were certainly present here alone. I shall refrain from chemical application, if at all possible, because I do not wish to harm any of my birds that eat them (no idea whether my lovely bluebirds include them within their diets but doubtful...will be researching that possibility though). I only see seven of the smelly critters at the moment and cannot detect any odor from them out here, yet, nor within the house. That's only because the others have yet to venture out from beneath the vinyl siding, due to it being overcast and not hot this morning. Only a few have managed to garner access inside of the house, because I kept the windows closed this year.

It was a good thing that I contacted him, because the link with his work containing a map range currently fails to show Kentucky marked within the red zone, orange instead. Red will be next. Will locate it and edit this post.

http://www.stopbmsb.org/where-is-bmsb/state-by-state/

Many shrooms popping this morning.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021 at 2:20 PM
  11. KY_Fried

KY_Fried 10 pointer

Nov 13, 2003
    Foster, KY, USA.
    We have a portable AC unit in my daughters room (our central air doesnt do the best to cool the upstairs in our old house) and she was complaining about it stinking so I checked the vent and there must have been a couple hundred stinkbugs in there. It suprisingly doesn't smell anymore after I cleaned it out but I wasn't expecting that.
    They completely cover the west side of our house in the evening as the sun sets too. A few years ago it was ladybugs which I never see anymore. Don't know what's worse. They both stink something aweful.

carnivore likes this.
  12. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    I just counted 54 and surely missed many of them, just while sitting within my wicker rocking chair and looking around me (outdoor breakfast nook, east side of the house, hummingbird garden). I did read where a man has observed bluebirds eating them, which is a bonus and means that I most certainly shall not be going the chemical route. I wonder whether they will eat them, once the smelly critters have been suffocated to death.

I have a feeling that my red-bellied woodpeckers are hunting them. I just saw one hunting the eves of my spare garage, hanging upside down to hunt and eat. It's not the first time, but I haven't see any over there, nor upon the west nor south side of the house, only the nook and extending west down the deck facing north. I think they must simply adore me, and me alone. :(

They are not congregating upon the hummer feeders but do occasionally land upon them. They are not repelled by dryer sheets, as some have suggested online (smells better, though).

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021 at 2:25 PM
  13. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    Stink horn Fungus
    My son and I found this today in my corn field when we were chopping silage. I have never seen one before.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. 00noturkey

00noturkey 12 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    High Grove
    WoW,, thats weird. probable gov., manufactured..