Shoulder problem

Discussion in 'Archery Equipment' started by kybuckbuster, Sep 9, 2015.

1. kybuckbuster

kybuckbuster 6 pointer

Jun 14, 2009
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Hey all,

Ive been lifting weights for the past ten years and I think my determination with that, coupled with being too proud, have finally cost me my shoulder. It's become pretty painful to do even mundane tasks and I may have to visit the dreaded doctor. I know he/she is going to say the dreaded "surgery" word. So, does anyone on here have documentation that allows them to use a crossbow during regular archery season? If so, what is needed and how easy was it to get? I'm not going to have a problem convincing the doc of a shoulder problem...unfortunately! Not even 30 yet....smh.

2. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I asked a similar question for my cousin Chase. I was told the form could be found on KDFWR website, and your doctor can give approval... Keep it with you while hunting. That's all there is to it. Hope your shoulder gets better. Have you had a deep cortisone shot yet? Worked wonders for me...

3. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    I tore some tendons in my arm several years ago and used a crossbow exemption for about 5 seasons. Glad it was an option at the time ... finally worked back to using a bow but still will pick up the crossbow when legal at times.

The methods exemption is relatively easy..... just print off the form on the link below. Take it to your doctor have him sign off on it.... then carry on your person afield with you license & permits.

There's nothing to file with KDF&WR, again just keep the signed form on you.

http://fw.ky.gov/Licenses/Documents/crossbowexemption.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. KYBH4Life

KYBH4Life Banned

Feb 13, 2011
    Shoulder injuries suck!

5. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    Amen. Looking at surgery on the left in the spring and hoping I haven't undone the repairs from surgery to the right a few years ago...

6. PHILIPRILEY16

PHILIPRILEY16 6 pointer

Nov 7, 2009
    Sounds like what I'm about to be doing at age 29

7. wademup

wademup 12 pointer

Feb 5, 2004
    benton, ky, USA.
    I have a lifetime exemption after my second shoulder surgery, print it off, get it signed and you are good to go. I swear though lugging my xbow around is painful on my shoulder !

8. useyourbow

useyourbow 12 pointer

Back in early July I felt a pop in my right shoulder while lifting weights and thought I was done for. I was doing some over head press when it happened. I stopped lifting weights (and shooting my bow) for three weeks and then began to work out again but nothing over head. Luckily for me that worked and I am shooting fine now. I was in enough pain that I started to research different bows/draw weights and like you the dreaded Xbow solution. Good luck.

9. KYBH4Life

KYBH4Life Banned

Feb 13, 2011
    Military press is how I tore my left rotator cuff

10. kybuckbuster

kybuckbuster 6 pointer

Jun 14, 2009
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Yes, military press is "the straw that broke the camel's (me) back (shoulder)"!

11. mulehead

mulehead 10 pointer

Jan 1, 2009
    in the hills
    Shoulder surgery stinks. Just had surgery, torn bicep,torn rotator cuff torn rabrum, torn superspanatis, I think my bow days is over this year, it's 6 months rehab time if I'm lucky

12. kybuckbuster

kybuckbuster 6 pointer

Jun 14, 2009
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Wow, how did that happen? I ended up getting some X-rays and they told me I just have moderate arthritis. Thank goodness! I'm only 29 so I bet this shoulder is going to feel worse in 15yrs but then again....so will everything ha!

13. 1badDart

1badDart 6 pointer

Oct 30, 2012
    W. KY
    There is a form on the KYDFW for this. I had shoulder surgery in 2012 and can't shoot a bow anymore. I have the exemption for a crossbow but it's not the same. The physical therapy after the surgery was killer, I don't wish that on people I don't like. Good luck.

14. baknblack

baknblack 10 pointer

Jan 30, 2014
    Henry County
    I had a very long and wide tear. I hear you about the pain and rehabilitation. Killer. I don't bow hunt anymore but, I'd be afraid to shoot one very much. I don't ever wanna go through the surgery again. Open heart surgery wasn't one tenth as painful.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

15. KYBH4Life

KYBH4Life Banned

Feb 13, 2011
    Although my injury was almost 8 yrs ago, I did feel a twinge in my left shoulder while shooting this week. Could be nothing, could be getting older, etc. but it got my attention. Think I am gonna drop off 82 lbs next year. I don't shoot often enough to keep my muscles built up.