Should non-residents be draw hunt only??

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by beards-n-bone, Sep 4, 2012.

Should NR Deer Tags be draw only??

1. YES

98 vote(s)
    58.7%
  2. NO

69 vote(s)
    41.3%
  1. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

I have no trouble with a sentence but I can understand why you don't know that. I think it's more of you hearing what you want to believe.

I agree with the elk hunt because residents are drawn also. There has to be something. Either limit the OOS draw numbers or charge them more. Either is fair with me.
    I don't agree with draw hunts for deer because it is unnecessary. Let's see we go from not having many deer in the 80s, to having deer but not a lot of big ones, then to having too many booners? So that needs to be fixed?
    Sorry, but just because you and your buddy can't hunt because someone else paid a higher price is not a crisis. That happens in many aspects of life. Deal with it.

You say you can't keep a "good hunting experience for the tax paying residents". Well so far it's gotten better and better and OOS hunters have been here all along. So you are a biologist and know better? You want to fix something that just gets better all the time?

You are right. My logic must be off. Just sounds like a bunch of Obama, "I feel sorry for myself because someone else has it better", bullcrap whining to me.

2. beards-n-bone

beards-n-bone 10 pointer

Nov 12, 2008
    Pulaski Co.
    Check the prices...easy as a google search. Have we gotten to Illinois prices yet? No. Headed that way in a hurry.

3. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

I think I'll just agree to disagree with you fellers. We each have our own opinion and that's just the way it is. The good news is we live to hunt another day.

4. beards-n-bone

beards-n-bone 10 pointer

Nov 12, 2008
    Pulaski Co.
    My dad told me this day was coming 30 years ago. The day for NR draws is coming like it or not. It just has to throw the right people off their hunting land to make that happen.

5. KTF

KTF Fawn

Jul 9, 2005
    I have worked my asp off for over 40 years to buy and pay for my farms.Did without new cars/trucks/vacations/etc to pay off mortages.If I want to lease my property to Billy Bob from out of state at a high price,that's my right.I don't feel I have any moral or social obligation to furnish anyone a place to hunt. Never had a high paying job,but scraped by and made it work. Leasing is here to stay!Leasing is a good revenue source for a landowner.We are getting squeezed like everyone else.

6. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

It could happen. I don't see it any time soon but stranger things have happened.

So if it goes to a draw, what are you going to complain about? LOL!!! Maybe complain like Iowa hunters do about the 75 "celebrity" tags the state gives out to the hunting shows to promote Iowa hunting. Their beef, and I agree, is why do they need to promote when they have 3 times the hunters apply than the lottery allows?
    It will be just like the elk lottery politics. The same people will always draw a tag and the big outfitters will maintain their land and always have a supply of tags for their customers.

It's all about the money.

7. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

If tags go to $1000 I'll start hunting the neighborhood cats. There's too damn many of them now.

8. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    It has nothing to do with feeling sorry for anyone. Its whats fair to the sportsman of this state. What is the leasing and OOS hunting like in Eastern Ky? I bet you don't have a clue what some of us are facing. Not a clue.

Come down and hunt some of our WMAs and count the OOS license plates compared to in state. The guy at H&H said they are thinking of going to a draw system there because of the hunting pressure is so bad. They have alread cut the limit down to one per hunter of any sex. The people that depend on those areas are being cheated in my opinion. I'm not talking about every hunter having a spot to kill a booner but just a spot that allow them to have a good hunting experience and maybe keep their children in the sport. I am already seeing some people getting fed up with the whole thing and stopped hunting and I can't blame them.

9. Any state that we do not have to draw,they should not have to draw.Any state we have to draw they should have to draw

10. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Sorry but I think it has everything to do with someone feeling sorry for themselves. I've hunted WMAs, not in a long time but I have been to them.

You say people "depend" on WMAs and are being "cheated"? Out of what? There's no law that says you must be provided a place to hunt. Unless I need a lesson in laws I don't remember being promised a spot close to my home. Some people travel a great distance to hunt, some dont. Some like to hunt out of state, some dont.
    Also, since when is it a right to have a spot that allows a good hunting experience? Hunting is what you make it. If I don't like a spot or if it's too crowded then it's up to me to move and find a better spot. If that means driving 100 miles instead of 10 then that's what I'll do if I want to hunt bad enough.

People get fed up with a lot of things in life. Why is hunting suppose to be different?

I like to have my fishing spot all to myself but I don't stop and cuss a person if he is sitting on it when I arrive. I just go to another place. Whining that there are too many people on the lake hasn't helped as far as I can tell.

11. skin_dog1

skin_dog1 BBBC Members

Ahhh, I see. Basically I meant nonres regardlesss of land ownership non residents should be paying more and have more restrictions than residents.

12. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

I totally agree with that.

13. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    Exactly..you don't hunt WMAs. You don't hunt Western KY. You can talk a big game but you are not in the boat. You are setting on the bank telling the others to sink or swim.

Who do you think pays for the WMAs? Who do you think supports the hunting industry? Hunters of this state pays the way for the animals and land we hunt. Most people are not going to drive a 100 miles. Most guys hunt the weekends and want to enjoy some time outdoors. If you make it not worth the effort they will stop hunting. I'm sure you are fine with that. Its not too much to ask that Ky hunters should have an opportunity to hunt KY without driving a 100 miles or being priced out of the sport.

You can look down your nose all day long an tell everyone how they should feel or what they should do but when we lose the next generation of hunter then come back and look down that nose and tell me how sorry they feel. Your answer is to let the chips fall where they may and screw you if you can't take it.

14. jasonba1

jasonba1 Spike

Apr 17, 2012
    if someone owns land in ky they pay property tax in ky so im not really sure why that non residents should have to pay higher fees than residents if they own the land and pay the taxes ? I see both points but landowners in ky can hunt there own land with out buying a license at all so I go back and fourth on how I really feel about it . I guess I think that non resident land owners should have to buy a license but at a instate fee since they pay taxes in ky

15. whitetail81

whitetail81 6 pointer

Dec 18, 2010
    Scott County
    I've never had a problem with an out of state hunter but have had more than I like to think about with resident hunters. If Kentucky is climbing to the top of the list of best states to hunt, then yes make out of state non land owners pay more. We gave to few game wardens so we need all the money we can get. I'd pay more for license if they could do a better job on game law enforcement. Nothing is worse than you doing it the right way and getting messed up or screwed by a law breaking resident or nonresident doesn't matter they both are scum.