should i kill this...

Jerod

10 pointer
Oct 30, 2008
KY
I watched a spike taller than that grow for"this will be the fourth year". Last season be was a tall tall 8. Hope he's in range this year. Let em walk

wkyoutdoorsman

10 pointer
Jan 13, 2009
Trying to slow down this train
i was jus wanderin bout improvin the heard

I don't know how big of a tract you are hunting, but improving the herd by culling bucks is kind of hard to practice. I was reading an article by Don Higgins in the last issue of North American Whitetail and he was discussing this very topic of culling bucks. He stated that he will not cull a buck with inferior antler characteristics until the deer is at least 3 1/2 years old. He explained that this is normally the time in which a deer becomes more of a dominant member in the breeding hierarchy and can run off younger deer that have more potential. So as far as culling bucks for herd improvements and overall better antler characteristics of the bucks in your local herd is concerned, I would follow Higgins' advice about holding off on culling bucks with inferior antler characteristics until the buck reaches at least 3 1/2 years old. Regardless of how old a buck is, 1 1/2 or 6 1/2 or somewhere in between, the buck will breed a couple of does. I personally, would give the deer a chance to see what kind of potential he grows into. However, if he is the deer you want and you will be happy with take him when you get the chance and I will be one of the first to congratulate you on your kill. Good luck with the decision and the deer hunting this season! Keep us posted.

BadDuck

12 pointer
Aug 13, 2007
Bullitt County
deer.jpg

should i shoot this ?

What are you doing tresspassing on my farm?

Buck_Nasty

12 pointer
Sep 23, 2009
Laurel County
I just noticed on the picture, a watermark or some type of stamp in the lower left hand corner. What is this all about? Do you stamp your trail cam pictures with some type of copyright stamp or something?

Spring Tom

Spike
Nov 2, 2006
Florida
shoot???

Shoot what you want to, but what else do you have on that camera?

When I first started gun hunting I'd shoot whatever was legal. I got a little more picky. Now I won't shoot a basket rack buck with my rifle.

With my bow--- I won't shoot a spike, but I still would plow any buck in my area that was above a spike.

Find your own criteria----- first thing I'd do is find out what else is in those woods and you may answer your own question, because you only get one buck.

Latest posts