Shotgun question

Discussion in 'Modern Firearms' started by Brit's and Birds, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Brit's and Birds

Brit's and Birds 10 pointer

Nov 24, 2008
    Oldham County
    Quick shotgun question - will a shotgun that is stamped for 3" shells also always shoot 2 3/4" shells? Every shotgun I own that shoots 3" also have 2 3/4" stamped on the barrel, but am looking at purchasing one that only says 3", but don't want it unless it can shoot 2 3/4" as well. I'm thinking it will, but wanted to be certain.

2. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    A 3" gun will indeed shoot both 3" and 2.75".

3. Teach Deer

Teach Deer 8 pointer

Aug 4, 2013
    Georgetown
    It depends...

Semi-Autos like the Remington 1100 back in the 1980s would not shoot 2 3/4" shells if their system was set to shoot 3" shells (the 2 3/4" shells will not produce enough gas to reliably cycle the shells...though they will still fire the 2 3/4" shells)... In order to fix this, Remington came out with the 11-87 that could reliably cycle both sizes...

Basically the same problem exists with shotguns chambering the 3 1/2" shells...and designers have been coming up with systems that regulate the gas flow...like the Remington VersaMax system...

As far as I know, all other shotguns chambered for 3" shells handle the 2 3/4" or even shorter, including the pump shotguns like the Remington 870, Winchester 1300, Browning BPS, etc...

4. jetlinker

jetlinker Fawn

Aug 19, 2014
    The Stoeger M3500 will cycle 3 1/2, 3, and 2 3/4 shells in the same loading. I believe ky gun co. has a video of it. I bought one after I was looking at several different shotguns. It has the smoothest action of almost anything I looked at. The only problem I've had are with gun club style light 2 3/4" shells. They just won't cycle, so I save the boxes of those for the last in the tube. I can't remember exactly what velocity I found will work the action, but I think 1200fps was the minimum for consistently working correctly. For skeet and trap I just load the light loads second so it doesn't matter if they cycle. It's nice to have a gun that'll do 3 1/2 for turkey, swap out the choke and shoot clays or dove in the same day.

5. RackedUP

RackedUP 8 pointer

Oct 30, 2013
    I have the same gun. It has cycled any load I've put through it included many different target loads except fiochi. For some reason they just won't run in mine. I did have to take it apart and clean all the heavy packing grease to get the best performance out of it though. Best gun for the money I've seen.

6. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    What type action is it?

7. KYBOB

KYBOB 8 pointer

Dec 26, 2009
    Barren Co.
    Exactly, as it will definitely shoot them, however cycling ( an auto loader ) may or may not.

8. Brit's and Birds

Brit's and Birds 10 pointer

Nov 24, 2008
    Oldham County
    It's an o/u, so no issue with cycling. Took it out and shot it yesterday with no issues. Thanks for all the replies.