shot placement... are they that hard to kill?

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by itstherush, Feb 14, 2011.

1. itstherush

itstherush 6 pointer

Sep 19, 2010
    Grayson co
    Ive recently taken up the sport of coyote hunting and this is awesome.......i started out of necessity, because of the number i seen on my deer hunting grounds.

in the past three years i have seen more than in the past 13 years. Im shooting every one i see, but are not killing them all... i shoot only two guns, remington 700 with 100 grain core-lokts, and my ar15 in .223 rem with 55 gr hp. i shoot the ar15 thousands of rounds a year, and a few boxes in the 700, so im familiar with my gun.

ive shot at 12 coyotes since november gun season. i have killed 4, wounded/lost 7 and missed one cleanly. of the 4 i killed , not one dropped in their tracks. i even trailed them like a wounded deer... on the 7 i shot and lost im certain ive made what i would call a good shot on. these were hit and simply ran off, at full speed. i have seen hide/blood/fecal matter on these shots, for evidence that i did make the shot. and with the lack of recoil from my ar15, you can literally see the impact in the animal hide?

Are they hard to kill?
    Shot placement, do you aim for the 1" behind the shoulder like a deer?
    different ammo?
    any input?

2. GSP

GSP 14 Pointer Staff Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    I shot one with a 30-06, in Marion county as it was quartering away from me. I saw the shoulder blade blow out the skin. The critter ran over a good size hill on 3 legs like I had just yelled BOO!

3. RussellHayes

RussellHayes 6 pointer

Jan 19, 2011
    Midway in woodford co.
    The most important factor on taking a coyote with a good clean shot is shot placement and the type of bullet you are using. I have seen them take shots from 223s to 30-06 but if the bullet just passes through with little to no shock value they keep right on going. Know here again most guys buy the fmj's because they are cheep and very easy to come bye, and that is understandable in the economic circumstance but with poor results. I like the frangible type of bullets so they will usually not leave an exit wound, on a thin skin type of animal like most predators. I reload for all of the guns i have had and get great results in return, the accuracy and down range trajectory are a direct result of countless hours at the reloading table and the range. It is also very gratifying to see the end result, and not to mention a hole lot cheaper. One of my favorite all time cartridges is the relatively new 25 WSSM i have spoken of it before on here several times and with good reason it is deadly on coyotes ! BUT the ammo is priced outrageous at most stores and poor bullet selection to match a box of 117 gr.silver tips is $39.99 two dollars a shot now thats reticules. Just think that is alot of money to shot an animal that we don't eat anyway, worse yet is the price of Heavy Shot Dead Coyote 12gauge shells at almost $4.00 a shot after tax just how important is it to kill a coyote anyway? I use the Remington nitro turkey loads with number 4s in the 3.5 inch mags and have never once had a coyote to move from where they were standing more less looking for a blood trail just stay calm get them close and thin let em have it !! Good luck to you my friend hope this was somewhat helpful.

4. itstherush

itstherush 6 pointer

Sep 19, 2010
    Grayson co
    thanks

i agree with the shot placement, i may be even shooting a bit too far behind the front shoulder... i always assumed the vitals would be identical to that of a whitetail. i could bet most of my missed chances are that of poor shot placement. oh, and i forgot to mention that many of these animals are approaching 300 yards. im shooting off a bench setup out of my deerstand, resting both forearm and stock on the bench for those long shots... so its not a big deal to make accurate shots that far out.

5. XFORCE

XFORCE 8 pointer

Oct 14, 2009
    Just shoot em in the head and it will be lights out fast!!!! I shot one through his front teeth and the bullet exploded in his brain forceing everything inside of his head out his ears. Was pretty awesome! Shot another one in the side of his head and blew his eye balls out the front....Come to think about it that was pretty cool too!!!

6. Change up your bullets!!!

To many times I have heard and done myself of shooting coyotes with larger caliber rifles and them getting away. The bullets them selves such as 30-06 and 270 win. are great rounds for deer and larger animals but not coyotes! So what I recommend is change up your 223 bullets to a varmint round such as what hornady produces. I also have killed many coyotes and none have escaped if they were hit by a 55grain varmint round. They all died within 20 yards of where they were shot. I've used vmax 40 grains to 60 grains and after shot testin the 55 grain work best out of my AR-15. But I would try Hornadys new 53 grain super performance 223 ammo I hear it does wonders on these furry critters. :) but good luck hunting and kill all you can.

-Zach-