Shot a bruiser, need advice!!

JDMiller

12 pointer
Jun 12, 2005
" Between the Rivers "
I know everyone says wait over night but I personally would give myself the last two hours of light and go look today. That will give him 6 hours.

I agree with this too..... which every place is different but on my place coyotes are the biggest issue.... like 120 stated any pending rain tonight will make any sign tough to follow.

I'd go in at least an hour before dark and try to trail him to the creek you mentioned. Which you described him "hunched" at the shot....and most gut shot critters will head towards water.

But ultimately.... were not there and only you can make the decision on what to do.

Which.... I also say.... hell its gun season in Ky .... take your time and pack a firearm (rifle / shotgun) and finish him off if you jump him up.

bird whisperer

12 pointer
Aug 16, 2012
Hog Town USA
I know some are true to the bone about using the bow but unless your inside the city limits where it is not legal to use one or you can not possess one you may want to take a gun when you start tracking this deer. Unless your not in Ky and gun season is not in where you are. Its a real pain trying to put one down when your chasing it with a bow.

bird whisperer

12 pointer
Aug 16, 2012
Hog Town USA
I agree with this too..... which every place is different but on my place coyotes are the biggest issue.... like 120 stated any pending rain tonight will make any sign tough to follow.

I'd go in at least an hour before dark and try to trail him to the creek you mentioned. Which you described him "hunched" at the shot....and most gut shot critters will head towards water.

But ultimately.... were not there and only you can make the decision on what to do.

Which.... I also say.... hell its gun season in Ky .... take your time and pack a firearm (rifle / shotgun) and finish him off if you jump him up.
Sorry I was typing while you were posting. Didnt mean to be redundant.

120+

12 pointer
Aug 22, 2006
You can't get there from here.

Absolutely, put him down if he's still alive. Rain makes tracking impossible.

elmucho277

6 pointer
Aug 4, 2009
northern ky
I just always hunt with a bow. The only rifle I have with me is my daughters single shot 223, which she happened to use last night to take her first buck. Only reason I’m paranoid to start tracking before dark is if I push it to one of the neighbors they probably won’t let me retrieve it. I’ve never met them, but others in my family have had problems with them. Fortunately it ran towards the creek in the center of our 150 acres. How long do you typically think it takes for a gut shot deer to die? I know I’ll catch hell over this, but I hit him with a chinadermic (though I’m batting 100% with them after 5 deer and sharpen them myself very well). I would think cutting a 2” hole through their gut with a low exit would be pretty devastating?

WildmanWilson

12 pointer
Dec 26, 2004
Western Ky.
I’d take up the trail a little ways to see what the blood looks like. If you hit liver he won’t last as long. If no good blood I’d do as recommended and stay out until late this evening. A dog will find the gut shot deer easily if you have one close by.

elmucho277

6 pointer
Aug 4, 2009
northern ky
For those of you who have gut shot a deer before, how good of a blood trail do you usually have. I’ve only got several drops of blood in the first 20 yards. Does the bleeding usually pick up more or will I be trailing stomach contents? I would imagine trailing stomach contents is a pain in the @ss

mudhole crossing

12 pointer
Aug 20, 2007
East ky
Livers aren't very thick. But it takes a gut shot deer a while to die. Been there done that. I shot a doe few years back low and in the gut. Shot her at daylight. I found her after dark that evening but she was still alive. Too gone to run tho. Ur call man. Hope u find him. Extra tuff decision with the rain. Good luck.

mudhole crossing

12 pointer
Aug 20, 2007
East ky
For those of you who have gut shot a deer before, how good of a blood trail do you usually have. I’ve only got several drops of blood in the first 20 yards. Does the bleeding usually pick up more or will I be trailing stomach contents? I would imagine trailing stomach contents is a pain in the @ss
its sparse too say the least. But if u got liver too, should be more

elmucho277

6 pointer
Aug 4, 2009
northern ky
Liver would be good, no idea from the arrow since it’s some blood and mostly stomach contents. Entry was a little forward of halfway back so I may have clipped some liver. Knock on wood, coyotes aren’t terrible here.

huntmadd

8 pointer
Oct 2, 2003
Henry,Kentucky, USA.
If you got something else he will be dead but gut only you better wait tell morning and take the rifle with you. He will probably be close to water if gut only. I know your a bow hunter but do the smart thing. Its up to you in 6 hrs or more he will be slow getting up if you try today but take rifle. There a guy on here with a dog Call and talk to him. Allseasonhunter has a dog and his number is on the sight . He says his dog has a high percentage on gut shot deer.

bird whisperer

12 pointer
Aug 16, 2012
Hog Town USA
I have had arrow gut shot blood have a brown tinge to it because has stomach content was with it. I have also just had a few drops of red blood because the guts cloged up entrance and exit holes and held the blood inside. The liver shot I had I backed out and came back the next morning because I thought it was a true gut shot and he was 20 yards past where I tried to get him with a second arrow.

Latest posts