Shot a bruiser, need advice!!

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by elmucho277, Nov 12, 2018.

1. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    I agree with this too..... which every place is different but on my place coyotes are the biggest issue.... like 120 stated any pending rain tonight will make any sign tough to follow.

I'd go in at least an hour before dark and try to trail him to the creek you mentioned. Which you described him "hunched" at the shot....and most gut shot critters will head towards water.

But ultimately.... were not there and only you can make the decision on what to do.

Which.... I also say.... hell its gun season in Ky .... take your time and pack a firearm (rifle / shotgun) and finish him off if you jump him up.

2. bird whisperer

bird whisperer 12 pointer

Aug 16, 2012
    Hog Town USA
    I know some are true to the bone about using the bow but unless your inside the city limits where it is not legal to use one or you can not possess one you may want to take a gun when you start tracking this deer. Unless your not in Ky and gun season is not in where you are. Its a real pain trying to put one down when your chasing it with a bow.

ojibwa62 likes this.
  3. bird whisperer

Aug 16, 2012
    Hog Town USA
    Sorry I was typing while you were posting. Didnt mean to be redundant.

4. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Great minds think alike.... lol.

Which I'm too understandable if its a WMA or city limits where you might not be able to use a firearm.

But if not the case....piss on packing the bow and if he's alive & you jump him up fill him full of lead.

invasion36 likes this.
  5. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Absolutely, put him down if he's still alive. Rain makes tracking impossible.

6. elkaholic

elkaholic 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    This is exactly why I never would bow hunt in the rain. Good luck, hope you find him.

invasion36 likes this.
  7. elmucho277

elmucho277 6 pointer

Aug 4, 2009
    northern ky
    I just always hunt with a bow. The only rifle I have with me is my daughters single shot 223, which she happened to use last night to take her first buck. Only reason I’m paranoid to start tracking before dark is if I push it to one of the neighbors they probably won’t let me retrieve it. I’ve never met them, but others in my family have had problems with them. Fortunately it ran towards the creek in the center of our 150 acres. How long do you typically think it takes for a gut shot deer to die? I know I’ll catch hell over this, but I hit him with a chinadermic (though I’m batting 100% with them after 5 deer and sharpen them myself very well). I would think cutting a 2” hole through their gut with a low exit would be pretty devastating?

8. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    I’d take up the trail a little ways to see what the blood looks like. If you hit liver he won’t last as long. If no good blood I’d do as recommended and stay out until late this evening. A dog will find the gut shot deer easily if you have one close by.

9. elmucho277

elmucho277 6 pointer

Aug 4, 2009
    northern ky
    For those of you who have gut shot a deer before, how good of a blood trail do you usually have. I’ve only got several drops of blood in the first 20 yards. Does the bleeding usually pick up more or will I be trailing stomach contents? I would imagine trailing stomach contents is a pain in the @ss

10. elmucho277

elmucho277 6 pointer

Aug 4, 2009
    northern ky
    And thank you to everyone for your tips, I greatly appreciate it!!

11. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    Livers aren't very thick. But it takes a gut shot deer a while to die. Been there done that. I shot a doe few years back low and in the gut. Shot her at daylight. I found her after dark that evening but she was still alive. Too gone to run tho. Ur call man. Hope u find him. Extra tuff decision with the rain. Good luck.

elmucho277 likes this.
  12. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    its sparse too say the least. But if u got liver too, should be more

13. elmucho277

elmucho277 6 pointer

Aug 4, 2009
    northern ky
    Liver would be good, no idea from the arrow since it’s some blood and mostly stomach contents. Entry was a little forward of halfway back so I may have clipped some liver. Knock on wood, coyotes aren’t terrible here.

14. huntmadd

huntmadd 8 pointer

Oct 2, 2003
    Henry,Kentucky, USA.
    If you got something else he will be dead but gut only you better wait tell morning and take the rifle with you. He will probably be close to water if gut only. I know your a bow hunter but do the smart thing. Its up to you in 6 hrs or more he will be slow getting up if you try today but take rifle. There a guy on here with a dog Call and talk to him. Allseasonhunter has a dog and his number is on the sight . He says his dog has a high percentage on gut shot deer.

elmucho277 likes this.
  15. bird whisperer

Aug 16, 2012
    Hog Town USA
    I have had arrow gut shot blood have a brown tinge to it because has stomach content was with it. I have also just had a few drops of red blood because the guts cloged up entrance and exit holes and held the blood inside. The liver shot I had I backed out and came back the next morning because I thought it was a true gut shot and he was 20 yards past where I tried to get him with a second arrow.