Shot a bruiser, need advice!!

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by elmucho277, Nov 12, 2018.

1. elmucho277

elmucho277 6 pointer

Aug 4, 2009
    northern ky
    i shot a good buck at 10:00am today. He was running a doe and I had to twist and lean to make the shot once he stopped for a second, only about 10 yards away. I hit him back, not sure if it could’ve clipped the top of the near lung. He was quartering to me a little so exit was probably further back than entry. Not sure if I got liver, guts or a combo. Arrow was a pass thru, going to get down and get it in a minute. At the shot, he ran off about 30 yards and just stood there. I could see some blood starting to drip off his underside. I shot a second time, but don’t know if I hit him. After the second shot, he ran off with his tail up. How long do you wait on such a shot to be on the safe side? Wait till dark or the morning? Any helpful hints would be greatly appreciated!!

2. adamky

adamky 6 pointer

Sep 10, 2008
    Daviess County
    Me personally I would wait 6 hours because there’s a pretty good chance you got the back of a lung and smoked the liver. He will die. Just give him time!

3. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

How thick is it? Is it raining to where you might lose the trail?

4. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Did you find the arrow?? It can sometimes tell you a lot by the blood if you got lung (bright red-bubbles) or liver (dark red)....or even smell if you primarily got guts(sweet-pungent odor).

Which with your description and I say this because its raining here this morning on my end of the state...... but I would keep an eye on the radar and give him as much time as possible.

He may or may not need an overnight wait.... but I'd give him as much time as the conditions allow.

5. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    I’d give him at least a couple hours and would prefer to wait a bit longer if the rain is expected to hold off.

It all depends on what your arrow looks like.

6. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    Arrow will tell a lot. Could have clipped gut maybe at that angle. If so arrow should show that. If so guy give him several hours.

hollandhunter likes this.
  7. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    wait as long as you can. good luck.

elmucho277 likes this.
  8. elmucho277

elmucho277 6 pointer

Aug 4, 2009
    northern ky
    I don’t know how to post pics on here, but I retrieved my arrow and it definitely went through the guts. Chunky looks to be stomach matter on arrow and on ground at impact sight. Don’t really see much of an immediate blood trail, but wasn’t going to risk looking for one. If it’s calling for rain, would you take up the trail (if there is one, never gut shot one before so don’t know if they leave a decent blood trail) at dark or wait till morning. Think rain is supposed to start around 6pm. Last place I saw him was running towards the creek with his tail up. He was hunched up some at the shot.

9. huntmadd

huntmadd 8 pointer

Oct 2, 2003
    Henry,Kentucky, USA.
    I would wait long as possible from what your description says. I may slip out just to look for arrows and blood sign to get an idea what I am looking at. Second arrow would be nice to know hit or miss. Then deside but its cold enough just keep an eye out for heavy rain. Keep us updated.

elmucho277 likes this.
  10. huntmadd

huntmadd 8 pointer

Oct 2, 2003
    Henry,Kentucky, USA.
    Gut shot wait tell morning for sure . May last hr of daylight go look last place you seen him for sign. It take awhile for a gut shot hell I left them overnight then found them next day sick in there bed still alive and I had to put another arrow in them. Good luck. Think a dog can find a gut shot deer very well if you wait tell tomorrow and lose blood trail.

elmucho277 likes this.
  11. elmucho277

elmucho277 6 pointer

Aug 4, 2009
    northern ky
    Thanks huntmadd, I think your advice sounds good. Found my second arrow, it had the outsert and broad head snapped off clean at the carbon end with no penetration. There was also a tuft of dark hair next to the second arrow, so don’t know if I hit bone or what. Second shot didn’t feel good, I was leaning out on the edge of my stand like a contortionist. I think I’m gonna hunt till dark, sneak out away from where he ran and come back in the morning. Blood trail is just drops here and there, not much to follow. On first shot I hit him at a steep angle, so I had to have done a lot of damage. Weather says 50% chance of rain for a few hours tonight. Just in case, anyone know of a good dog in Nky?

Genesis 27:3 likes this.
  12. childersb24

childersb24 8 pointer

Mar 25, 2010
    Like others say you better wait a while. Gut shot deer can take forever to die. I’d go ahead and call someone with a dog also. Could be a tough track especially with this rain coming. Good luck keep us posted

13. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

I know everyone says wait over night but I personally would give myself the last two hours of light and go look today. That will give him 6 hours.

14. elmucho277

elmucho277 6 pointer

Aug 4, 2009
    northern ky
    Just curious, any reason you would not wait till morning to give him more time? I would assume most of the meat is shot due to it being gut shot or no?

15. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

A gut shot will not affect the meat except where the muscle is cut and touching gut. I think the bigger risk is coyote, spoiled meat, and rain washing away the trail. If he's alive after 6 hours he'll likely be alive the next morning.

KYote-Krusher likes this.