Shooting Wounded Deer After Legal Shooting Hours

Discussion in 'Fish & Wildlife Questions' started by perrymax, Nov 25, 2020.

1. BowOnly

BowOnly 8 pointer

Mar 6, 2008
    I'm neither a lawyer or a GW, but...

"at any time and during any season to: kill or attempt to kill an injured animal for humane purposes"

No stipulations about how it became injured.

Lost River Jones likes this.
  2. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    I read that. So you gut shoot a deer with an arrow. It's 150 yds away, you pull a rifle from your truck to finish it off, and that's legal? I'm not buying it.

RLWEBB and hoene like this.
  3. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
  4. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    That’s what the KRS reads. Makes sense to me. Why let it suffer? It’s gonna die anyway, help it out.

5. Teach Deer

Teach Deer 8 pointer

Aug 4, 2013
    Georgetown
    I think the issue in this scenario is the rifle...assuming you are not carrying your deer rifle while bow hunting (for coyotes of course), then RETRIEVING the rifle to put the animal down would not be looked on favorably...using a handgun already in your possession to put down a mortally injured animal would be ethical if other means (another arrow) were not available...

6. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    What if my "carry" handgun was my super Redhawk in 480 Ruger with a scope????

Feedman likes this.
  7. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Do whats right by your ethics as an outdoorsman and be willing to gladly accept the consequences (after a potential fight in court). Most (not all)COs are reasonable.

8. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    License to wound?????

9. predator1

predator1 12 pointer

Dec 25, 2008
    Glasgow,Ky
    There is no regulation on what type defense weapon you can pack while bow hunting. You use what’s available. Not saying you might not have a hard time getting the game warden to see it from your perspective. But the wording of the KRS statute clears you without question.

10. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    Years ago, a guy I know, shot a doe with a bow and wounded it and he went back after dark to finish it off with a gun. A game warden checked him and he was fined and lost his hunting rights for three years for using the gun. I'm not sure what would have happened if he had used a bow to finish it or if that would be illegal as well.

11. useyourbow

useyourbow 12 pointer

Yet if you left the wounded animal, a animal you wounded and it went to waste that to would be a crime as well.

So, I would suggest calling the game warden from the scene, explain the situation, and seek his guidance or SSS or jump on it with a knife.

12. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    How is that a crime? Has Ky implemented a wanton waste law?

13. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Im going to do what is right given the situation at hand. That may mean paying a small fine and although id put up a fight in court im alright with that. I shot a deer at 11pm that was hit by a car in front of buffulo wild wings in florence ky that was paralyzed in its rear legs. I hoped to have not been ticketed but if so id do it again.
    I was also on a cow elk hunt and there was a young bull shot above the spine (in the mytical no mans land) that was in terrible shape starving and dying i wanted to shoot it and leave it. But i wasnt willing to pay 10k and go to jail over it. So i let the sob suffer despite my better judgment. Ate me up all week.

Feedman and beauhunter41031 like this.
  14. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    I don’t think shooting one hit by a car will get you in trouble. The reason they don’t want people to do it in hunting season is they would be shooting them at night and claiming they were just putting it out of its misery.

1wildcatfan likes this.
  15. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 12 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    I found one two weeks ago, leg tangled in top strand Barbwire. I cut it free as it was still lively and assumed it would be gone by morning given the toughness and Ability to recover that whitetails have. However checking on it the next day and had only drug itself 20 feet and seemed paralyzed in the rear end. I had to make a decision and i did. Was a nice little six point velvet buck