Shooting while Pregnant?

7mmx2

12 pointer
Nov 8, 2007
KY
Anybody have any experience in this?

My wife is pregnant (1st Trimester) and were going to take the CCDW class.
But I would like her to shot some practice rounds prior to the class...etc...
See any problem in that?

aceoky

12 pointer
Jul 14, 2003
W KY
My wife did and often, however always get medical advice on these things from your OB/GYN

Rat

8 pointer
Oct 9, 2006
USA
The potential risk could be to the baby's ears as they can hear quite well from in there even the sounds of a normal conversation. I'm not sure at which week the tympanic membanes develop so you might want to consult a OBGYN or pediatrician on this matter.

Chester

6 pointer
Oct 28, 2012
Somewhere
I read somewhere that preg women were not to shoot during the third trimester...could possible damage the baby's hearing. Also that women should not handle alot of ammunition...

Then I read another article that said it was ok for a preg woman to shoot...so who knows.

I recently bought my wife a new 9mm, but she has chosen to wait til the baby is born before shooting...she doesnt want to take any chances.

7mmx2

12 pointer
Nov 8, 2007
KY
Come on guys I thought KY hunt was a full service forum with this OBGYN advice!

I think it shouldn't be a big deal but consulting her doc will be done.

aceoky

12 pointer
Jul 14, 2003
W KY
Oh it IS (LOL)

For medical, legal etc. advice it's always best to consult someone with degrees & experience in the field in question IMO

whitleycotrapper

12 pointer
May 20, 2005
Williamsburg, KY
My wife and I specifically asked this question when she was pregnant with our first child. He told is that she would be just fine to shoot anytime she wanted. He did say she may want to stay away from anything with high recoil for the obvious reason of not repeatably jarring her body and no trick shooting off of her belly! Lol. As everyone said, ask her doctor but that's what her doctor told us. He also said of we asked a doctor who was anti-gun they would probably tell us exactly the opposite but there was medical reason not to.

Lady Hunter

12 pointer
Jan 12, 2009
When I was expecting both kids, my doc told me no shooting whatsoever. That was 17 years ago (with the youngest) though - recommendations may have changed since then.

Lady Hunter

12 pointer
Jan 12, 2009
He said no shooting period. Rifle, shotgun, or handgun. Something about the soundwaves injuring the fetus.

Maybe he was an anti or maybe he was just being extra cautious. I don't know. But I followed his orders & didn't take any chances. (That was a long 18 months - 9 for each kid!)

aceoky

12 pointer
Jul 14, 2003
W KY
I was curious. I had never heard that from "back when" our OB/GYN did say no heavy recoiling shotguns/rifles but handguns were fine until late into pregnancy then there was some risk of hearing damage.

I sure don't blame you for not risking it, I'm sure we'd not either had we been told that.

ky_horsetrainer

6 pointer
Nov 11, 2004
Jackson County
I don't see it hurting the baby at all. Maybe a .22 cal would be better if she must get it now. but it is your kid she is carrying. Is it worth risking it at all? Just wait till after it's born. Kids are priceless.