Shoot or pass

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by mayonaise32, Sep 5, 2013.

1. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

More so around the back of the shoulder. Just the head won't give the taxidermist enough to work with.

2. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    before i answer, what's the wind direction and pollen count?

3. Chimpy

Chimpy 8 pointer

Jun 29, 2004
    Wilder, ky, USA.
    My goal for this year is 50 deer. I've been trying for 5 years to achieve this goal, just run out of time. So you can be damn sure that if it's a female, it's hitting the ground. Goal for opening weekend is 4 does.

4. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    The chance at shooting a doe anytime I want is pretty high. Shooting a trophy buck is low regardless. There is no need to even take a chance on a doe because I can shoot one when I want. I'm not saying I can't get it out and cleaned before it spoils but there is no reason for me to even risk it. You get very few chances at a trophy buck so thats why I would take the shot whenever I get it. I would do my best to recover it but there is a chance something goes wrong but when you may never see that buck again then I would take the chance. Thats just me.

5. Chimpy

Chimpy 8 pointer

Jun 29, 2004
    Wilder, ky, USA.
    The Hunters for the Hungry is a great program - take advantage of it in these first few weeks!!!!

6. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    I think the 50 you kill will feed everyone.

7. Chimpy

Chimpy 8 pointer

Jun 29, 2004
    Wilder, ky, USA.
    Nah, I won't be close to 50 til the end of December. 50 will barely scratch the surface. Kill early and often!

8. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    So it's okay for a trophy buck to spoil so long as you get the rack to hang on your wall.

Duly noted.

Learn something new every day.

9. hunt-4-life21

hunt-4-life21 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2007
    Butler Co.
    How does that program work? I'm guessing the deer needs to be field dressed when taken in. Then do you just drop it off at a registered place and say see ya or what?

10. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    You take it to a participating processor. There are only 2 in the entire Jackson Purchase and neither of them are open on the weekends unless by coincidence.

The last time that I wanted to donate one, the processor told me to skin, quarter and ice the deer and bring it to them on Monday. I told them that if I had to do all of that anyway, I would just put it in my freezer for my own family and friends until I had more than I needed.

There would be a lot more donated deer for the program if there were more processors that took part and it was more convenient for the hunters. Not sure why the department doesn't fund some of it and push it if their goal is to reduce deer numbers in zone 1's.

11. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    Fawns will be fine. Plus orphaned bucks will have 20% smaller home range and most will make the home range the area where they are orphaned. I will shoot any doe with button buck fawns. Probably wont hunt much this weekend maybe Sunday evening just to get in the stand but doubt I will shoot anything just gonna enjoy being out there. Don't like trying to rush them to get them hung in the cooler. If I get that perfect shot on a big momma with a couple button buck fawns I might have to take it though.

12. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    Who said it was?

13. hunting buddy

hunting buddy 12 pointer

Oct 23, 2010
    bg
    ^^^This is what I was thinking!^^^

I've got to thin out some does so if I get a chance at one early, I will. Might even shoot her with a little on the tit!

14. Xcal1ber

Xcal1ber 12 pointer

Jul 16, 2011
    Couple ridges over
    I will shoot a doe if one gives me the chance this weekend. I'm not in desperate need for meat, but I do love venison, and plus I'm out. Also I get supreme enjoyment out of shooting does. I don't practice and prepare all summer to wait, but that's just me. I wouldn't be able to contain myself waiting till October. I enjoy hunting DEER, which means males and females alike. If a buck gives me the opportunity you better believe he will go down, but I will not pass a doe. One last thing, I am with 120+ when it comes to how long before the deer will spoil. They don't spoil as fast as you think they do. There is no need to shoot one and then take off running after it with your field dressing knife in hand. I have been deep in the woods before during opening weekend, and I shot a big ole doe. From the time I shot her, until she was on ice was pretty close to 4 hours. That deer was fine, the meat still smelled good, and she tasted great. Good luck to all who hunts tomorrow!!

15. ksp771

ksp771 10 pointer

The heat is a concern for me as well as others. I usually wait till late September.