Shoot him or let him grow?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by beetee2, Oct 16, 2013.

1. beetee2

beetee2 Fawn

Jun 14, 2013
    131004AA_Frame506.jpg

The one on the right. This is my first season bowhunting, and I'm torn on shooting this buck. Should I take him or leave him alone and let him grow another year or two? His rack looks really nice for a young buck, I think he'd be a trophy if no one gets to him before I do. Thoughts?

2. gung

gung 8 pointer

Jan 29, 2004
    Graves County
    If he makes u happy by all means shoot him.

3. just me

just me 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2013
    Just getting started....if its brown its down!

4. lobuthunter

lobuthunter 6 pointer

Aug 18, 2011
    north logan
    imo i'd let him walk, that being said if... you feel it is a trophy then shoot him it your tag and no one else's. also would take into consideration your neighbors, if you feel safe that he will make it through the season with out them shooting it then i would diffidently let him walk. but like i said it is your tag fill it how you wish:) good luck and be safe.

5. nateb440

nateb440 8 pointer

Nov 8, 2011
    I'd let him grow. That said, I spent a few years hunting before I ever shot a buck. Lots of does, but when I shoot a buck I want to shoot something that will make me smile every time I see it on the wall. But that's just me. That one may very well make you smile every time. Then again, there's probably older bucks in the woods that would give you a good challenge this year.

6. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    If you want him BUST HIM.My first Buck with a Bow wasn't that good and I was proud to put my tag on it.Then go bigger on the next one.

7. bird whisperer

bird whisperer 12 pointer

Aug 16, 2012
    Hog Town USA
    I would let him go unless hes big enough for you. Every year older he gets adds to his potential.

8. slyfly76

slyfly76 6 pointer

Mar 12, 2011
    X2 don't get too caught up in the trophy aspect of hunting, we do it to be happy and if successfully harvesting this buck makes you happy bust his a$$!

9. If you have not killed many deer pour it on it.If it will make you happy for all your hard work and effort go for it.Your tag brother.

10. useyourbow

useyourbow 12 pointer

Until he is in front of you, during daylight hours that decision to shoot or don't shoot is moot. From a management perspective. He has one healthy looking body and would most likely blow up next year. From a hunting perspective. If he is the biggest buck you have on your property he is a shooter.

11. turk2di

turk2di Cyber-Hunter

Feb 25, 2003
    evansville, ind
    Depends on what u want?? If you want the deer to approach 160+, then he has to walk at least 2 more seasons. If u just love to pull the trigger and kill a buck he's a decent buck!

12. JHUBB

JHUBB Spike

Sep 18, 2012
    If he gets your blood pumping take him if given the chance. If it is your first bow season you will need some practice for that monster buck in the future. Shooting at targets will never generate the emotions and complications that arise when shooting at a buck.

13. beetee2

beetee2 Fawn

Jun 14, 2013
    I agree with all the replies actually. It is my first season so no doubt the blood will be pumping if he walks in range during shooting hours! I'm not sure the "management mindset" would be able to take control then. Hopefully I at least get the opportunity to see what happens.

14. Xi Bowhunter

Xi Bowhunter 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2002
    Goetz Farm
    Just shoot and be happy!

15. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    The one on the right. This is my first season bowhunting, and I'm torn on shooting this buck. Should I take him or leave him alone and let him grow another year or two? His rack looks really nice for a young buck, I think he'd be a trophy if no one gets to him before I do. Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

If you are asking strangers whether or not to shoot a deer then you already know the answer.