Shell corn price

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by kybuckbuster, Jul 24, 2015.

1. kybuckbuster

kybuckbuster 6 pointer

Jun 14, 2009
    Louisville, Kentucky
    I was talking with my dad the other day and he told me the price of shell corn is cheaper than it has been in years. The past few years the price has been somewhat of a burden financially so I would only feed sporadically.

Are you all familiar with this price drop? What prices are you seeing and/or used to?

#gettingbackinthegame

2. Chilly

Chilly 10 pointer

All the feed stores around here are telling us it is going up. It has had too much rain they said.

3. Brsutton86

Brsutton86 12 pointer

Sep 19, 2009
    Harrodsburg, KY
    Yep, about to go up quite a bit. Several big corn farmers around us have kernel less cobs. Too much rain. Cattle market late fall is going to take a hit because of feed rising alot also Im hearing.

4. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    Corn future markets are showing a rise. I hear out west in the corn belt that many fields was never planted because all the rain they had during planting season also

5. K9trapper

K9trapper 12 pointer

Dec 7, 2006
    $8.75/100# although I haven't bought any, that's the price locally. Cattle are already at extreme highs, and corn has been all or nothing across the Midwest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. wademup

wademup 12 pointer

Feb 5, 2004
    benton, ky, USA.
    Fortunately I only have to make it till harvest then I get it duty cheap but 50# at my local co-op is 6.00 for 50 pounds IIRC

7. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Seems like it's always cheap this time of year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. 4UK

4UK 6 pointer

Oct 14, 2009
    Johnson co Ky
    Its $13.00 a 100pd here in johnson co ky

9. Jde

Jde 6 pointer

Oct 9, 2013
    Just bought 100 bushel yesterday. Got it for $4 a bushel.

10. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    Yep yall better get it now before this years crop makes it go up. Because of all the rain. I havent bought the first bag this yr though. Have been busy and just cant find time. I wanna put out cameras too. Just dont have freakin time. Not enough daylight in the day. Ha

11. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    The market price is 3.80 a bushel right now. I'm not sure its going to be as high as some think. I've seen some very good crops and I think the harvest will be better pretty good over all. I have a cousin that sells it to me for market price and thats much better than the farm stores.

12. Coot_Meurer

Coot_Meurer 10 pointer

Nov 4, 2006
    Not here anymore
    With absolute certainty, it is going higher this fall.

My father is one of the USDA corn yield estimators (there are actually hundreds of these guys - they all work in Ag but not for the USDA and then they go make estimates each year for USDA). When I was back in IL a couple weeks ago to see him I mentioned that the corn looked like garbage from I64 all the way north to I80. He agreed and said he expected a very bad year on yields. That is from a man that has been doing this for 50+ years.

Corn yields in KY are insignificant to the CBOT and terminal prices on corn. Iowa and Illinois are the big corn producers and across the majority of the corn belt they have had excessive moisture. Lots of field are late planted, many are behind in maturity, and huge amounts of the soil nitrogen has been leached away before kernel fill and will not be available to the plants.

13. johnky

johnky 8 pointer

Apr 5, 2011
    Loretto ky
    Corn in Lebanon is $11 a 100lb

14. willy09

willy09 Banned

Oct 15, 2009
    Just bought 4 bags at 4.62/ 50#

15. kybuckbuster

kybuckbuster 6 pointer